cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Hasn't Picked Up Package Worth $750. I can't afford a refund.

Hello,

I recently sold a GPD Win 2 worth $750 on ebay. The buyer bought it for full price, even though there was a bid was also going on for it. So they clearly wanted the item since they opted to pay full price for it. I sent the package out the day after they ordered it on March 21 and a delivery was attempted on March 23. (This customer happens to live very close to me). The issue is it is March 25 and the buyer still has not claimed their package at the post office. I sent them numerous reminders to claim their package and made it very clear that I cannot afford to refund them since I already spent the money. I know it was foolish, but here I am. I did everything I could to get them to pick up their item but they are not responding to my emails. They responded in the beginning on Saturday March 21, saying how they played the **bleep** out of their previous GPD Win 2 and that it broke and they're really excited to make this their main game system to play on. So they clearly wanted it since they paid full price for it too. I called the USPS center and they said the package will be held until April 7th and then it will be sent back to me. Unfortunately when I made the ebay listing it had an auto-selected refund policy of 14 days and I forgot to deselect it. Now I'm nervous because I'm unable to afford to refund the buyer if the package is sent back to me. I even contemplated driving it directly to their house if that happens since they live 40 minutes from me according to google maps and I cannot afford to refund them. Is there anything I can do to ensure that they get their package and I don't have to refund them? I'm only 23 and still living at home, trying to pay off my college debt while working at a dead-end job so $750 is a lot of money to me. It was screw up my credit if I had to refund it and it would essentially bankrupt me. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer Hasn't Picked Up Package Worth $750. I can't afford a refund.

definitely DO NOT bring it to them. If you bring it to them, the 'delivery' will not be recorded, and tracking number will not show it as delivered (or picked up).
And then, they could be deceitful and open a case, claiming they never received it and you will absolutely be forced by ebay to refund them if they open a case, even though they have the item.

my advice - Let it play out, and when the post office returns it to you (assuming they never pick it up), relist it and try to get some money for it again so you can refund the buyer -- however the buyer may never contact you (or ebay) and you can keep the original payment and the game system.

The other poster may think this is unethical but i disagree -- this person has went awol and is not responding to your messages and has had every opportunity to respond to you, they are causing you stress when you've done nothing wrong.

I would, however, start to try to save up money to refund the buyer with, and relist the system as soon as you get it, in the event that it is returned to you and the buyer does eventually try and get their money back (i think they have 30-60 days to open a case, but im not certain). Sorry youre dealing with this!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

When you get the item back you should refund the buyer, you cant keep the item and the money too.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

The thing is I don't want to keep the item. And the buyer clearly wanted it. Is there a way to send it to them again and try a second time?
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

definitely DO NOT bring it to them. If you bring it to them, the 'delivery' will not be recorded, and tracking number will not show it as delivered (or picked up).
And then, they could be deceitful and open a case, claiming they never received it and you will absolutely be forced by ebay to refund them if they open a case, even though they have the item.

my advice - Let it play out, and when the post office returns it to you (assuming they never pick it up), relist it and try to get some money for it again so you can refund the buyer -- however the buyer may never contact you (or ebay) and you can keep the original payment and the game system.

The other poster may think this is unethical but i disagree -- this person has went awol and is not responding to your messages and has had every opportunity to respond to you, they are causing you stress when you've done nothing wrong.

I would, however, start to try to save up money to refund the buyer with, and relist the system as soon as you get it, in the event that it is returned to you and the buyer does eventually try and get their money back (i think they have 30-60 days to open a case, but im not certain). Sorry youre dealing with this!

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Seems to me you would have to wait until April 7 and if they don't pick it up by then, the post office will return it to you. Not sure how you would ship it to them again since the post office will not give it to you, it is not addressed to you. At least that is my understanding. And you shouldn't pick it up since they have paid and still have until April 7 to claim it. They may have an emergency preventing them from getting it right now. Hope it works out for all parties.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

You are right..I do disagree with you.Something may have happened to the buyer..maybe he got the virus..he shouldnt be punished for that.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I would just give them a few days to respond. Hopefully, they pick it up ASAP. 

You could also request their phone number (from eBay) to call or text them. I think requesting their contact number is still a feature on eBay.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

If not, the op can go to Sellers Hub and click on the transaction, all his contact information will be there.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I feel really bad for you. I know that'd be a large loss for you if this is returned and you have to refund. Besides the shipping you paid for, you'd never get your PayPal fees refunded either... that'd be about $21. Ebay should have some provision to protect sellers from buyers like this and refund the PP fees as they do some of the Ebay fees the seller has been charged on the transaction.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Is there a way I can request the cell number? I sent an email to Ebay. Hopefully that is still an option they can provide?
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

look on paypal for ph# (if it's accurate)

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

PP no longer provides phone numbers..go to Sellers Hub, click on the transaction, then on the small transaction number at the top.it will open to all the buyers personal info, including phone numbers.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I say in my answer that if the buyer contacts the seller, looking for a refund, they should refund them. All i am saying, is they should not automatically refund the buyer when the post office returns the item back to him, they should wait until the buyer contacts them, and in the meantime, try and save up the money needed for the refund. Do you disagree with that?
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web
bonjourami_0-1585158269287.jpeg

bonjourami_1-1585158269294.jpeg

bonjourami_2-1585158269296.jpeg

bonjourami_3-1585158269300.jpeg

You can access your account information from Seller Hub by hovering over your name in the top left-hand corner, above the eBay logo, and selecting 'Account Settings' from the drop-down menu.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I found out his phone number! Thank you! I did not know that was an option. I will call on the weekend and see if I can reach him. He bought the item Friday and messaged me on Saturday so maybe he is just very busy and only has time on the weekend. Fingers crossed that this works out.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply