cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browbeaten by eBay to reduce prices...

I've noticed that in addition to eBay changing my listings to accept offers without my permission they are now sending me messages telling me to lower my prices to get a sale. Enough is enough already!

Your website is a marketplace and I already pay you final value fees, shipping fees, paypal fees and you also round up to benefit your company by charging more money to use your website to sell my goods. Now you want to tell me that my goods are not worth what I'm asking!? This behavior is disrespectful to sellers like myself who have been here for close to 20 years!

Stop being so money grubbing when your profits are higher than they've ever been with raising fees every year and a growing number of sellers. I've never seriously considered leaving here because I'm just a hobby seller but if fees are raised in May, I'll be gone for sure.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I understand your position, but those are just suggestions from Ebay.  They don't own your items and you are not forced to comply with those suggestions.

Ebay wants quick sales, but only you can decide what an acceptable price for your item is and what you are prepared to accept.

Don't let it upset you.

BTW This is a member to member Board, and not Ebay.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you have gotten frustrated on the Ebay tactics - I applaud you. You are thinking and that is good - Ebay propaganda is just that - and for those that are too lazy to understand or want to get rid (or think the suggestions will work) of stuff - they do what Ebay tells them. The lessons they learn after the fact will impact their pocket books after they see that their $40 item only sold for 0.99 cents plsu free shipping to one person - probably the only one that had AI show it to them. And then, they get mad come here and the result is that either they learn to bite it - or they cancel the transaction - and make another buyer mad. It's vicious cycle - and the veterans on the board have learned NOT to TAKE EBAY's SUGGESTIONS. Just ignore them - enjoy life.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I am the broken record today but my advice does lead to less stress:

Just ignore and delete any and all e-mails from Ebay other than "item sold", "Notification of payment received", "shipping label created", and "Receipt for Your Payment to eBay Inc Shipping". Do take a gander at messages on the Ebay site for listing promotions. Keep your Ebay mail box neat and clean of junk mail, especially the junk mail from Ebay itself.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Dont let them get you upset we get them to all the time .  Just ignor and move on its all we can do.  Best regards

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have no problem ignoring all the the emails, I'm just wearing out my mouse deleting them.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ignore...

Ebay tries to get me to price my quality fabrics at the same price as cheap Chinese Garbage.

You control your store,  not Ebay.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

there's a reason I have a seperate email just for eBay, and why I seldom check it......

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I've been selling on ebay for exactly 19 years. I'm well aware of the name of the forum I'm posting - eBay "Community". Thanks for your reply.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

What I find annoying about those messages is that when I look at the comparables for suggested pricing, there often are none.

Which is normal for those of us selling vintage and collectibles.

Or eBay cannot see that my prices include shipping (Free Shipping), and the not-very-comparable has shipping as added.

So mostly, I ignore those notices, deleting them unread.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

To everyone saying just ignore it - that's not the point.

The point is this - as sellers who pay fees you have more power than you realize to give ebay negative feedback when they adopt tactics that make your business more tedious. Sure in the short term it's easier to ignore it but if you take a look at where ignoring things as a society has gotten us then you'll understand what I mean. Ignore all the crooks in government while they keep stealing more of your money (taxes.) I've never been one to rant and rave - I've been here 19 years without a peep but enough is enough.

I have a separate e-mail just for ebay - that's not the point of my post. I don't need suggestions on how to "enjoy life" - I already do. I'm speaking to others like me who are fed up with the ever-increasing fees for less than ever in return from eBay.

I'm asking you all the realize that the ease of ignoring something in the short run eventually leads to bigger and bigger problems in the future. The time to voice your dissatisfaction with ebay is now. It's up to you as with many things but don't let the feeling of being powerless convince you that you have no power to effect change. That's simply not the case.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@spin007 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

To everyone saying just ignore it - that's not the point.

The point is this - as sellers who pay fees you have more power than you realize to give ebay negative feedback when they adopt tactics that make your business more tedious. Sure in the short term it's easier to ignore it but if you take a look at where ignoring things as a society has gotten us then you'll understand what I mean. Ignore all the crooks in government while they keep stealing more of your money (taxes.) I've never been one to rant and rave - I've been here 19 years without a peep but enough is enough.

I have a separate e-mail just for ebay - that's not the point of my post. I don't need suggestions on how to "enjoy life" - I already do. I'm speaking to others like me who are fed up with the ever-increasing fees for less than ever in return from eBay.

I'm asking you all the realize that the ease of ignoring something in the short run eventually leads to bigger and bigger problems in the future. The time to voice your dissatisfaction with ebay is now. It's up to you as with many things but don't let the feeling of being powerless convince you that you have no power to effect change. That's simply not the case.

Thank you for posting this very well reasoned reply.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

ed8108, thanks for taking the time to read & leave a positive reply.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The first time I got that message it really p****d me off, so I raised the prices a little on all of the items they told me to lower, and two of them sold within a day!  Take that ebay!  (But then they got a higher fee, so I guess I didn't really hurt them!)

Message 14 of 14
latest reply