cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware the newest scam, items shipped together

Beware the newest scam, items requested to be shipped together.

I'm a 20 year Ebay member (13,000 and still 100%) and wish to share with everyone the latest scam that people are using to get merchandise and make money.

A buyer will purchase items from you in separate transactions, and nicely ask that they be shipped together.

Then some time later they will file a "item not received" case using the second (unused) tracking number.

(Ebay doesn't allow the use of the same tracking number on separate transactions).

In contacting Ebay the agent will look at the message showing the request and close the case in your favor, but the buyer will then go to a third party like Paypal or a credit card with the same claim and win showing the unused tracking number that shows no tracking.  Ebay states that the third party will check with Ebay before deciding the case, but that RARELY happens. They simply look at the tracking and make the decision.

Make this a major rule:

"IF THEY BUY SEPARATELY, SHIP SEPARATELY."    No exceptions.

If you don't and offer free shipping you may save a few dollars, but you risk losing the entire transaction amount AND the merchandise.  Assigning a tracking number then voiding it to ship together will allow them an opening to scam you.

Theseafox Enterprises

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Beware the newest scam, items shipped together

Never assign another tracking number to the item if it is a combined shipment. Yes, that is bad.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

How many here remember the "Combine Items" link button that used to be at the bottom of the "Sold" page ?

You would just checkmark each item to be combined and hit that link to print a label for all.

eBay deleted that link some time ago, don't know why, it made it so simple. Maybe too many sellers were trying to combine items that shouldn't have been combined and jamming things up.

The removal of that link button is why we have to combine items manually in Bulk Labels these days.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

suprised  youve been on ebay that long and just now figured out that if you combine purchases on the same  order sooner or later youre gonna get bit. understand the urge to save shipping costs but when you roll the dice anything can happen

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

You are highly mistaken.  There is no second tracking number if you only purchase one label.  It's a minor hassle but we can add numerous items to the first package providing you allowed for the combined weight.  It is easy for me because I sell mostly light weight paper items and input the highest weight in the four ounce range on every order under a pound.  That way I am covered just in case additional items are purchased and a request to combine comes in late.  If the first item is going in a flat rate box the sky is the limit.  Well, 70 lbs. is the actual limit.

Lesson learned on this rant is to never print a label for a customer who buys and pays for two or more items separately until you analyze the implications of which label will work best to combine the other items into the same shipment.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@futuremarine2011 wrote:

suprised  youve been on ebay that long and just now figured out that if you combine purchases on the same  order sooner or later youre gonna get bit. understand the urge to save shipping costs but when you roll the dice anything can happen

There's no difference between a fake claim that an item was missing from a combined shipment, and a fake claim that an item shipped separately was missing when the box arrived empty. It's the same fake Not As Described claim in either case.  Your problem in either case is with the buyer, not the method of shipping.

Similarly, there's no difference in combined shipping between a bulk shipping option to combine the items before buying one label, and buying one label for one item and then following up with other items in the shipment individually, marking each as Shipped and adding the tracking number via the Actions column on your Sold page. The result in either case is that each item shows the tracking number of the package in which it is travelling.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@theseafox wrote:

Yes this is true and will work. The friend that shared this with me did your exact procedure.

He changed the number on the second item, and won the item not received case TWICE.

but the buyer went to paypal and opened a dispute and  said there was the original tracking number again.

Ebay will see the revised number and decide the case in your favor. But, the buyer will have a chance upon purchase to see and copy the original number before it is changed.

What "original" tracking number are you even talking about? There should only be one.

They must be buying a label for the 2nd item and not using the label. Hopefully they are voiding those, or they will be charged for them  .....

Sure you can use the same tracking number; you have to manually enter it though (copy/paste).

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

"He changed the number on the second item, and won the item not received case TWICE.

but the buyer went to paypal and opened a dispute and said there was the original tracking number again.

Ebay will see the revised number and decide the case in your favor. But, the buyer will have a chance upon purchase to see and copy the original number before it is changed."

There is no second number to change, you literally add the original, first item number into the blank tracking area for the 2nd, 3rd, however many items to be combined..... are you buying multiple labels but only using one?

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Why would you use a tracking number you know is not going to be scanned as delivered?you set yourself up

And item missing scams or attempts of not received claims when tracking number shows delivery are not new

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I consider myself one of the kings of combined shipping

its not hard to undertsand.......... a fellow will buy 3 items over 10 days and you send an invoice for them

its 1 payment for 3 items and its quite simple.............invoices can be combined for 30 days

if you ship 3 items in a  box or 10 its all under 1 tracking number

if you are going to run into trouble the buyer will just say its short

there is nothing to worry about as far as the MBG because the chargebacks are not the same as an INR

I have shipped at east 100 combined orders this year and no chargeback or losses

this is not something new at all

Orders eligible for combined purchases

maybe this tab in seller hub under the custom orders tile has you confused  because when you click on it it takes you to a message that says its not a secure connection.

I get that warning every time I combine wit that link

youy need to make sure your customers pay for everything at once or on the same day

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

What "original" tracking number are you even talking about? There should only be one.

They must be buying a label for the 2nd item and not using the label. Hopefully they are voiding those, or they will be charged for them  .....

Yeah, I admit I'm baffled as to what is going on here but that is the only explanation I can think of. I just combined one the other day... I packaged the items together and bought one label, then just uploaded the tracking number from that label to the other transaction. Easy peasy, no second labels involved.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Totally agree with hotwheelindeals.  Some buyers believe if you say free shipping the seller does not pay for shipping, even though the seller included it in the price.  I believe the phase "free shipping" should never have been coined but rather it should say "shipping included" to be more accurate.

I caught a video where young people (late teens/20s) were asked if you drive 60 miles an hour for one hour, how far would you have gone?  Almost none knew the answer:  some admitted they did not know, some said one mile, etc.   A revealing testament to our education system.   Maybe these are the same people who think shipping is free?

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

A few months ago, my selling ID found herself in a similar situation.  I'll switch to first person for the story . . . .

One buyer bought two things that I had listed.  In my haste and happiness to have sold Two Things !!, I bought postage/label for the first item.   Moments later, I realized that, duh, the same gentleman, at the same address, using the same eBay ID, had bought both of those things.   I wanted to save him some money.   I found a box suitable to hold both things, weighed and measured it, and bought postage/label for that box which held contained both things.  

As I recall, I did send him a message that he should disregard the tracking number ending in, say, 1234, because the tracking number ending in, say, 7890, was for the package that contained both items.   I thought all was well, until some days later I was notified of an Item Not Received case against me !!   No, no, that can't be possible!

I contacted that buyer and explained it all over again.   He told me that, when he filed the INR, he had not yet even opened the box I had sent him.  (--whut?--)  He was just trying to match up tracking numbers to all the things he had recently purchased.   But once he opened the box and saw the Two Things safe and secure, he withdrew the INR case.  

I was very glad he was honest, because he could have tried to cheat me out of what was in my mind a good chunk of money.   I still try to save money for my buyers who buy more than one thing, and I am much more careful now about purchasing and printing postage until the packages are sealed.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I'm a buyer that only received one of two items that were supposed to be in a single box. The seller claims to have pictures which I haven't asked for yet because I know only one item arrived. Since the two items share a tracking number both show as delivered.

I don't know if this is what happened in my case, bit it is possible sellers are trying to scam people with this too.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

This exact same thing just happened to us. The buyer did it about a month ago and we knew we sent the right order total. This time we took a photo and i documented the two serial numbers i sent the buyer and he still sent me a message claiming "ONE tracking number but i order two" after asking to combine shipping, claiming he only received ONE....again. I reported him to Ebay but he will complain and win. As usual. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply