cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Webinterpret’s scam that ebay is allowing

A couple of days ago a banner within my Seller Hub advertised reaching buyers in ebay international sites (shown in screenshot). I clicked it to learn what it was about. It pushed me to a 3rd party page (Webinterpret) explaining what it was and allowed me to register/sign up for their service. I didn’t sign up and just closed the page.

The next day, Webinterpret hacked into my ebay account. They duplicated all of my listings 4-6 times each listing. My usual 200 live listings became over 1200 listings. Each listing was specific to an ebay international website (au, uk, ca, de, etc.). They basically duplicated my inventory quantity as well… obviously I don’t have that much inventory to cover it. Beware, this is on ebay’s Main Seller Hub page that ebay is advertising.

Read further if you want to know ebay’s response to this:

I called my ebay concierge and after a few hours of asking around and researching, he called me back and said the company has been with ebay since 2011, they shouldn’t have access to your account without your signing up, authorizing, generating a token, etc. I told him I did none of that and the agent was confused on how the company was able to hack into my account like that. The agent helped me remove the duplicate listings manually (took awhile) and revoked any access from that company to my account. I checked and it appears many ebay members (dated as far back as 4 years) had the exact same thing happen to them and did the revoking, only to find months later the company hacks back into their accounts doing the same thing… sometimes even billing them. Ebay says they will check on it, but then again… this problem has been around for at least 4 years now and ebay hasn’t done anything about it.

I’m just warning others to NOT click on that banner.

Screenshot 2018-05-04 15.20.24.jpg

Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: Beware of Webinterpret’s scam that ebay is allowing

Why does this sound like just ANOTHER default - sort of like 'If you don't say no, you must mean yes'.  Has anyone found an 'opt-out' check box?  Smiley Mad

Looks like, perhaps, another round of checking all your listings if you ship internationally.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 346 of 365
latest reply

*sigh*

Is the CEO of Webinterpret Wenig's nephew or something?

Message 347 of 365
latest reply

Maybe it falls under 'advertising', making it a write-off, and ebay also gets their cut from the sales?

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 348 of 365
latest reply

I also received this and was Opted-In without my consent.  I started at the beginning of this thread and this has been going on for well over a year now.  Trinton@ebay Please help with this again!  I did contact them to opt out and cancelled my TPA and was able to do this immediately so I haven't seen any additional listings so I hope I cancelled it in time. 

ebay - you HAVE to get this under control!  This has been going on in one form or another for over a year!    Please stop this nonsense with them.  I shouldn't have to opt-out - only opt-in when I'm able to read the terms and conditions.  Haven't you learned your lesson on this "add-in"?

Message 349 of 365
latest reply

I just contacted their support chat to cancel my account and opt-out as well

Message 350 of 365
latest reply

Your attempt to get trinton's attention didn't work right. I'll try.

@Anonymous 

Message 351 of 365
latest reply

Oops! Just noticed that was from 3 weeks ago. Sorry.

Message 352 of 365
latest reply

I got the message today also that I had to Opt-out of, but since I do not have International Shipping set up, I don't know why I was ever opted-in. I do use the Global Shipping Program that I have felt this was replacing and looks more like it every day.

Message 353 of 365
latest reply

And its still going on now, ive just spent an hour with the eBay team to delete the 3rd party authorization . and apparently on Monday i need to contact these shysters direct to cancel at their end grrr 

Message 354 of 365
latest reply

You may want to call PayPal, too.  It seems that they have been involved with Webinterpret, as well.

techcrunch.com/2017/07/11/paypal-global-sellers/

Message 355 of 365
latest reply

Indeed, I just got an email from Webinterpret welcoming me to a program ("Cross Border Listing Program") that I never signed up for:

"We are thrilled to have you on board. You will have received an email from eBay in the last few weeks letting you know that you are a member of the eBay Cross Border Listing Program.  

We at Webinterpret provide the cutting-edge technology that underpins the program. This means you can now benefit from wider exposure: your items are now visible on 6 international eBay sites (the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Australia) in the local languages.

There are no insertion fees from eBay and no fees from Webinterpret (eBay final value fees and PayPal fees still apply). We’ll launch up to 5,000 of your eligible listings per site. The promotion lasts until 31st of December 2019. The whole process is automatic, however you can manage your account or review your listing settings at any time in your Webinterpret account:"

What's really disturbing is that I never received any prior email informing me that I had been signed up. I hadn't clicked on any links for the program or opted-in. I was just suddenly a part of the experiment, with access to my account handed over to a company that I want nothing to do with. Fortunately they had managed to duplicate only three of my listings before I caught them -- easily deleted. Then, sure enough, there they were listed in my Third Party Authorizations. Two instances of them. Revoked those authorizations. I replied to the email from "Eduardo," asking for an explanation and to be removed from the program. Haven't heard anything back from him. I've been an eBay member for nearly 20 years and this is the worst breach of trust between sellers and eBay that I recall. They really are doing their best to destroy the platform.

Message 356 of 365
latest reply

I was just suddenly a part of the experiment

eBay has been "auto" enrolling sellers in this of late.  You were supposed to get a notice, but many say they did not. You have to manually opt out.  Good luck. 

Message 357 of 365
latest reply

The opt-out link:

http://ebay.immerced.com/

Message 358 of 365
latest reply

FYI everyone, we're getting payments canceled after we cancel our subscription with WebInterpret.  For some reason the payments get returned, despite most items being delivered weeks ago. Be sure to monitor this if you opt out as you'll need to figure out how to get these payments reinstated.

Message 359 of 365
latest reply

Is is opt out link legit?

It looks like we have been hit by this Webinterpret deal today, out of the blue, I have no idea what is going on, can someone give me detailed direction on how to fix this asap?

Message 360 of 365
latest reply