cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you complain about USPS price increases, please understand why it's happening.

There's one aspect of the Post Office I haven't seen mentioned here.  It's called the  Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act and was signed into law on Dec. 20, 2006. 

In accordance with the law, the Post Office is required to pay almost $5 BILLION dollars EVERY YEAR to the federal government.  Basically, it requires the Post Office to prepay employee retirement and health insurance benefits for the next 75 years over a 10 year year period for employees who haven't even been born yet. 

So, when you hear that the Post Office lost 5 Billion dollars last year for example, the reality is that if it weren't for this 5 Billion a year mandate, the Post Office would have made almost $1 Billion in profit last year.  To date, the Post Office has paid almost 40 Billion to the federal government.  No other company in history has ever been forced to do this. 

This mandate was designed to starve the Post Office.  Service cuts are being made, hubs are closing, the quality of service is declining, and prices are rising, exactly what the bill was designed to do.   

Why?  There are several main reasons.

The Postal Union is one of the largest unions in the country.  If the Post Office can be put out of business, the union would go out of business as well. 

The hope is that the functions of the Post Office will be turned over to Fedex and UPS.  However, currently, Fedex and UPS don't deliver to approx. 40% of the addresses in the country.  For these deliveries, they have an agreement with the Post Office and the PO finishes the delivery.  

So, for all of you who live in rural areas, the plan is for you to lose your Post Office and Postal service.   Do you really think Fedex and UPS will deliver a letter for 48 cents.  Do you really think Fedex and UPS will visit every address in the country 6 days a week like the Post Office currently does?  And if you live on a rural delivery route, do you really think Fedex or UPS will drive out to you.  Yea, neither do I. 

Before this law was passed, the Post Office was doing fairly well.  In fact, they were seriously considering going to 100% electric vehicles.   Imagine the shot in the Arm that would have given to the Electric Vehicle industry, and our environment.

And, to make matters worse, what the Post Office can and can't do is controlled by Congress.  The Post Office gets NO government money, 100% of what they earn is by selling postage.  If they could, they would offer all kinds of additional services, such as pack and ship services, computer terminals, and even banking services for unbanked americans.   

The PO has been saddled with this never before seen mandate with the hopes of forcing it to close.  Do you really want to live in a country with no Post Office?  That's what third world countries do, not us.

Virtually every year since the law was passed and signed in 2006, Democrats have sponsored bills to repeal this law.   In most cases, those repeal laws were filibustered in the Senate.  To date, there is an excess of $40 BILLION dollars of Post Office money in the federal coffers.  Democrats have also tried to have those funds refunded to the Post Office to no avail. 

Before you attack me, look it up.  Search and read about the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act.   We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.  What's been happening to the Post Office is a fact, again, look it up.   

As Ebay sellers, shipping rates are critical to our businesses.  If you aren't happy with proposed PO rate increases, contact your Congress reps and Senators and tell them you want an end to the Postal Accountability and Enforcement Act.  Also tell them you want the $40+ Billion dollars already paid refunded to the Post Office.   Imagine what that sudden influx of capital would do for our Post Office. 

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Before you complain about USPS price increases, please understand why it's happening.

A lot of whiners here, always complaining about what someone else has, that they don't. Like it's better to bring someone else down. "Why should anyone have better retirement benefits than I have?  Why should anyone have better health benefits than I do?  Why should I have to pay for someone elses Social Security?  Why should someone else get free coffee when I don't?   Why can't they lower the minimum wage here, so we can  compete with China, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc.?  Why can't we bring back slavery?

A better question might be: Why should members of congress get 6 figure retirement deals and the best healthcare in the world that YOU as a taxpayer - assuming you are a taxpayer, have to fund? Isn't it just a little more alarming to you that YOU are funding six figure retirement incomes and very expensive health plans for the families of YOUR dirty rotten scoundrels in congress more so than those who are living on $800 per month SSI simply because they are either disabled or your grandmas?

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

Re: Before you complain about USPS price increases, please understand why it's happening.

Don't YOU have to fund much of your own retirement? Why shouldn't the criminal members of congress do the same? Oh yeah, almost forgot. Because they and their bosses ARE THE CRIMINALS!

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

I couldn't agree with with more!!! If peace was more profitable than war we would have peace! Its nice to read something from someone that's aware of the situation - props to you !!
Message 33 of 46
latest reply

Now every mom and pop ebay, Amazon or whatever **bleep** site you sell from sellers are paying for them to golf in Florida.

Five of my best friends from high school are retired teachers/school administrators.  They are in Florida, playing golf.   

If someone wants to complain bitterly about another person's retirement plan, perhaps that someone should have looked at employment in that particular great retirement plan sector.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 34 of 46
latest reply

@expaik wrote:

@live2buystuff wrote:

There's one aspect of the Post Office I haven't seen mentioned here.......

Actually it has been mentioned here.  By you.  Word for word:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Anyone-else-seeing-some-major-problems-with-USPS-within-the-la...

yeah? But guess what, I stopped reading the whinny complaining post above and missed this very informative post of the OP. So I'm GLAD they posted it in its own post. Thanks OP -- this gets MUCH better attention when it is its own post! 

RIP my Kitty, my fur buddy; Gizmo. 4/9/19.
Seventeen years was not enough.
Message 35 of 46
latest reply

Maybe if USPS goes out of business, then China retail sellers won't overtake the US in retail to US consumers.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

Again, there's a lot of discussion about the upcoming USPS price increases.  So, this needs to be brought back into the discussion. 

One common comment that's been repeated over and over.  That being, what's wrong with making the USPS pay for it's own retirement and health benefits.  Here's the response to that.  They already do, that's in their budget.  This 5 Billion dollar a year mandate is above and beyond paying current expenses.  Again, no other gov agency or private corporation has EVER been required to do what the USPS has been doing for the last 9 years. 

Now for the latest.  There are Republicans in the Congress and Senate who are floating the idea of extending this mandate.  After all, so far, their plan hasn't worked, the USPS is still struggling, but functioning.  So, if you care about YOUR Post Office, contact your Republican Congress person or Senator and tell them to leave your Post Office alone. 

For those of you again, complaining about USPS price increases, imaging if the USPS is put out of business, and your only options are Fedex, UPS, etc.  Think about whsat it would cost to mail a small less then 1 pound package.  You'll soon realize we need our Post Office. 

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

Fuel prices have collapsed so if anything rates should go down.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

Fuel prices have nothing to do with this congressional mandate. And, most large users, Airlines for one, buy long term fuel contracts, so fuel price fluctuations aren't reflected immediately.
Message 39 of 46
latest reply

When do the e packet rates go into effect for us Americans?  The postal increase is to help offset the losses from delivering e packets.

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

This topic is being discussed again, so time to repost this.

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Why?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

I agree, we have to ask $2.77 shipping (+ add 15% for ebay and pay pal) . Just to ship a small $1.99 item and "Far East" sellers..... $1.99 free shipping! WHAT ?!?!
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

dead thread

alan@ebay

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

Prices for everything will rise while burger flippers keep expecting a million a moath paycheck..minimum goes up, everything does. 

Message 45 of 46
latest reply