cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beanie babies

This is my first time doing this and my mom gave me my old beanie babies I was just wondering how would I go about selling them or getting them appraised to see if they are worth anything?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Beanie babies

Do eBay research on completed/sold listings or Google the info from the side tag.  They're worth about a dollar a piece, the price they sell for Goodwill.  Considering they will cost about $4 to ship that means they are worth a negative $3.  You might have to pay someone to take them off your hands. 

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@danialca29 

Save your money, and do NOT get them appraised:  They are probably worth less than 50 cents each.

These were mass-produced in the tens of thousands (and probably more) in third-world countries, and were over-hyped as "collectibles" as a marketing ploy.

Note:  Anything initially promoted as a "collectible" will NEVER be collectible -- too many available, for too small a market.

Check eBay "sold" listings for current values -- but ignore any "sold" listings where the "buyers" reneged on the sale, or opened "not as described" cases.

The Beanie craze died out about 15 years ago, and the market is flooded right now with Beanies for which there is little or no interest.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@1786davycrockett wrote:

These were mass-produced in the tens of thousands (and probably more) in third-world countries, and were over-hyped as "collectibles" as a marketing ploy.

Oh, Gawd, I think mass-produced in the millions would be more accurate. 😉 When everyone knows someone who has a whole bunch of them, we're talking mass quantities.

I've always been mildly surprised to learn production quantities of things that we see all around us every day. Like, for example, whenever Walmart recalls, say, a kitchen blender because it bursts into flames or electrocutes someone, it'll be described as model number so-and-so and was made in some six-month span about three years ago... and yet there's thirty-five thousand of them being recalled. Just for one blender that you probably don't own anyway.

It takes a lot of production work to make some item truly commonplace, but with 99.99% of the Beanie Babies out there, that's what they did.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@a_c_green 

And keep in mind -- to be truly profitable, since the Beanies were manufactured overseas in third-world countries, the "limited editions" could only be "limited" by the level of greed of the manufacturer himself.

The "mania" was self-created by the manufacturer, who labeled each new Beanie as "an instant collectible."  Thus, an unwary buying market was created, scooping up as many new Beanies as could be afforded each month, until the manufacturer "retired" that Beanie -- creating a "demand" for an item that had already over-saturated the marketplace, by "investors" who had purchased their "individual store limits" of "no more than 3 Beanies each," or whatever.

Unfortunately, there were just too doggone many of them available, with a declining number of serious "investors," many of whom could no longer afford to budget sufficient money each month for their individual quota of every new monthly Beanie.  So the craze began shriveling away -- even though the supplies of Beanies have not stopped crowding the shelves.

And now it seems that more and more former Beanie "investors" are attempting to cash in their stockpiles of stuffed critters -- and discovering that that audience is largely nonexistent.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

If they have any sentimental value to you, they're worth more in that regard than in the marketplace... even the rare ones won't get you enough to hit the McDonald's drive through.  I don't mean to be harsh.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

They're really cute, but just bag them up and donate.

Ones that are new with tag, donate to your local police department or fire department if they're having a toy drive - they'll make a stressed kid very happy.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@danialca29 

There are millions of beanie babies on eBay going for minor chump change (if you can get that for them).  Sell them or donate them as others have stated.  The Beanie baby craze is long gone.  Sorry...

Good luck to you on your new selling venture.  

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

They make good pet toys, ornaments on shelves, and around flowerpots.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@bennotbill  Beanie Babies are not for pets. They contain plastic pellets inside which can be swallowed by pets when ripped open.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

I hear what everyone is saying about the current value and current level of collectability, but doesn't everything like this eventually become valuable and collectable? 

I realize lots of people buy things thinking "Wow, this will probably be worth something someday" - Precious Moments, Stanley x Starbucks mugs, etc., etc. - the list never ends. And typically, none of that ever happens. 

But fast-forward to eBay on March 21, 2124. I would bet Beanie Babies are highly sought after, partially because of the history of the craze in the 90s, how the company made millions (billions?) by releasing limited editions, and convincing people that they were basically investing for retirement by buying them. There's a story behind them.

Thoughts? (I won't be alive in 2124 to review this post with all of you, but who knows, maybe some younger people will be. Mark your calendars.)  

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@aldet_4021 

Well I started reading your post but then you lost me at mark your calendars . You do realize that your date is 100 years from now, nobody here will be alive and not even this site.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@aldet_4021 

You seem to be missing the point regarding items which have actually become "collectible" after a period of time.

Some items became actually "collectible," due to the proven SCARCITY of the items -- the T206 Honus Wagner American Tobacco  Company baseball card (of which probably less than 200 were actually printed); or the 1918 "Inverted Jenny" airmail postage stamp, of which only 100 were ever accidentally released; and so on -- all eminently collectible due to initial scarce production.

Consider as well all the magazines and comic books which were collected during the scrap drives of World War II -- a form of "forced" collectibility, since the vast majority of these periodicals were destroyed to assist in the war effort.  That's one of the factors that makes an ACTION COMICS #1 or a DETECTIVE COMICS #27 so valuable -- not that many survived the scrap drives of World War II.  And many of the later EC Comics from the early 1950s never even hit the newsstands, after the Congressional investigations of comic books.

In addition, so many future "collectibles" only attained that status due to their inherent disposable nature:  Consider all the items that were normally trashed or donated over the past 80 years -- no one at that time ever gave any thought to the idea that any of these items would ever be considered "collectible" -- and yet the shelves at antique shops are stuffed with "collectible" this or that, that grandma had regularly tossed out as worthless, or destroyed as trash.

But Beanie Babies are exclusively different:  they were deceptively marketed IMMEDIATELY as a "collectible," and the collectors and speculators swooped down upon them in droves to snap them up -- creating a false scarcity, based upon the myth of "future value."  Any item which is deliberately marketed as an "instant collectible" is only "collectible" to the individual investor/collector -- but not to the real financial marketplace.

Unfortunately, too many of these "rare" Beanie Babies were manufactured in the tens of thousands (or more) to satisfy the hunger of a limited number of collectors -- many of whom drifted away, when they could no longer afford to throw away any more money on stuffed toys; while others finally came to the realization that they had been conned, and stopped feeding their addiction.

And so, nearly 30 years later, the market has become flooded with unwanted, overvalued stuffed animals, the values of which have plummeted drastically since the market for Beanies has disintegrated due to massive lack of interest.

The only way that Beanies would ever become  a future collectible in 2124 is by deliberately destroying over 95% of the current Beanie inventory.

And maybe not even then.

But I'm willing to take that chance.  Anyone got a match?

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

I think the only ones worth a ton of money were the very first ones, that are still in mint condition. People didn't realize they would become "collectible", and the kids played with them, the dogs played with them, the tags got torn off, they went through the wash. Very few of those very first ones are still in perfect condition. I can see those being worth quite a bit, because no one thought to put them away.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Beanie babies

@aldet_4021 wrote:

But fast-forward to eBay on March 21, 2124. I would bet Beanie Babies are highly sought after, partially because of the history of the craze in the 90s, how the company made millions (billions?) by releasing limited editions, and convincing people that they were basically investing for retirement by buying them. There's a story behind them.

Thoughts? (I won't be alive in 2124 to review this post with all of you, but who knows, maybe some younger people will be. Mark your calendars.)  

That's an interesting thought.

Taking this from the other end of that perspective: what item(s) were the topic of a collecting craze back in 1924? How are those items valued now?

Message 15 of 33
latest reply