cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Badges????? Like Cub Scouts????

For years sellers on Etsy have been complaining that Etsy was turning into eBay. But now it seems the reverse is true. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Badges????? Like Cub Scouts????

Thanks @nobody*s_perfect , I wasn't aware that you could edit a post after pressing the reply button.

Now that's why I love reading these posts, there's always something new for me to learn!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

And yes here again I have to reply as there is no way to edit.   So in the five minutes I’ve been in these forums I’ve gotten five emails telling me that I’ve just gotten my first badges as a pathfinder as a reply as a whatever and it just all seems very first grade Cub Scouts brownies like why are we getting these little merit badges for doing nothing??  I don’t get it. I don’t need to fill my email up with junk either so that’s probably gonna drive me right out of here. 

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

See that little check mark in a square on the upper right? Click on it.  One of the choices you're offered is to "Edit".

Anyone who has email has it filling up with junk.  You can ignore it, right?  

And how is eBay turning into Etsy? 

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Yes, the badges are pointless and annoying.  Some director of eBay Community thought they'd be cute, even though all of the actual board users had the same opinion as you.  Try not to let them drive you away; after a while you'll be able to completely ignore them, as the rest of us do.

When eBay originally switched over to Lithium (now known as Khoros) to manage the boards in 2013, the Community Director convened a focus group to assess the various features and options. All participants soundly mocked the concept of "badges" and so at first there were none.  But a few years later, one of his successors thought they'd be cute.

If you click on the little check mark down arrow at the top-right corner of your post, you can edit. @gator08041971 There used to be a limit of 5 minutes, but it disappeared a couple of weeks ago. As you can see, I was able to edit this post more than an hour after posting.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Some new posters believe they actually mean something.

When I was an "Advisor" I had a reply like "call yourself an advisor, your advice is...............".

I've had various like that depending on the current "badge".

There was a very long thread on the UK forum ridiculing and poking fun at them. What a waste of time they were etc. The rep there ended up actually moving the thread to an almost hidden little used part of the forum. And received a lot of justified criticism for doing it.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

It’s part of the chat software. A lot of boards I’m on, including Facebook Groups, has a poster ranking system. Not important. Go list something!

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@setyourclockback 

Most of us here aren't really concerned about them and a lot of us just think they're sort of  lame.  A nice thank you from the community managers would be better. Just a thought.

Happy Selling!

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

See that little check mark in a square on the upper right? Click on it. One of the choices you're offered is to "Edit".

If you click on the little check mark at the top-right of your post, you can edit, though there is a time limit.

FYI.

Its NOT a check mark. Its a down arrow.  But yes, it has approximately a 5 minute timer before the post locks.

gator08041971_0-1708874841496.png

Okay, so now you can edit in a longer time frame?  When did that change?  lol

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I get them, read them and go whoopee and move on. 

Re getting offers, your other post, even just opening and looking at something not just what you have saved, can get offers too. 

The few seconds spent reading either, does not add up to a hill of beans nor does checking the box next to the message and deleting it without reading. 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

More clarification needed on your title.

For years sellers on Etsy have been complaining that Etsy was turning into eBay. But now it seems the reverse is true. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Well it seems like everybody else is getting it so I don’t know why you aren’t. 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Of course……

“Badges, we don’t need no stinkin badges”

IMG_7678.jpeg

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

If I'm not mistaken, ebay's had badges before etsy was in existence.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Thanks @nobody*s_perfect , I wasn't aware that you could edit a post after pressing the reply button.

Now that's why I love reading these posts, there's always something new for me to learn!

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals 

Etsy also has do-gooder badges.  Star seller I believe it's called.  Lots of sellers were against it & it looked to play favoritism for a lot of sellers. I personally don't have one and could care less if I did.  Sales are what counts in my opinion.  Not a pat on the back & a star next to my name.  I haven't had one of those since the 2nd grade. lol.

Happy Selling

Message 15 of 29
latest reply