cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad news, good news

I used the last of my really tough little 4x4 boxes from Uline on a blown glass peacock ornament that shipped out last Thursday. Today I got the grusome pictures of the little guy smashed into a gazillion pieces and the box looking like it had been run over by a bulldozer. First time it has happened that something was totally smashed that way. Good news -- $8 sale is all that had to be refunded. Doesn't the PO put a sticker on them when the box gets mangled by their handling/machinery? Do you suppose the postman himself ran it over??

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Bad news, good news

@tunicaslot wrote:

Thanks AC and Sweet - better too many cooks in the kitchen than none at all!

I seldom write fragile as I've heard the same thing especially with temps this time of year. The more you advertise it's breakable - the more some people like to test it.

You must pack it well enough to stand the test, light and tight. I've shipped many fragile items and so far so good, one buyer wrote to me and said when he saw the box on his porch, it was smashed from all corners and he knew the item was broken for sure, but he said he opened the box and to his surprise the item was intact, I've had other buyers write similar stories.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@pvcliff wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Did you write in black marker on the box, fragile, handle with care.  Please hand stamp only.

Nope, never.

Why not?

A) I've packed upwards of 1500 boxes between my two IDs, most of it small breakable collectibles. Sturdy boxes and lots of bubble wrap does the job as long as someone doesn't drive a vehicle over it

B) I thought standard wisdom was that a "Fra-gee-le" sticker (saw A Christmas Story for the umpteenth time over the weekend) was like waving a red cape at a bull.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I think you used too small of a box, the peacock was 3.75" which leaves 0.25 on each side, too small for a fragile item. I usually use bubble wrap and make sure the ornament is protected inside before placing it in a box. For this size, I would have to use 4x4x6 or larger box.

Customer sent a photo of the mangled box. 

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I think you used too small of a box, the peacock was 3.75" which leaves 0.25 on each side, too small for a fragile item. I usually use bubble wrap and make sure the ornament is protected inside before placing it in a box. For this size, I would have to use 4x4x6 or larger box.

My rule is 2" of padding on every side And/or double box.

A 3.75" ornament goes in a 6" box.

For really delicate items ... a 6" box inside an 8" box.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

@pvcliff wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Customer sent a photo of the mangled box. 

Nothing is going to save an Item from a forklift or truck tire ... but ... You always have to remember that your 6 oz 4" box is on the same conveyor belt and being dumped (literally) into the same BIN as someone else's 70 lb Large FRB.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

My rule is 2" of padding on every side And/or double box.

A 3.75" ornament goes in a 6" box.

For really delicate items ... a 6" box inside an 8" box.

I agree.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

You must be an incredible packer!

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

You don't have to be an incredible packer, you just need to spend some money to get the right boxes and packing materials. Spend more on packing to avoid damage and more importantly a dissatisfied customer.

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

You don't have to be an incredible packer, you just need to spend some money to get the right boxes and packing materials. Spend more on packing to avoid damage and more importantly a dissatisfied customer.

Absolutely!

Buyers are willing to pay (within reason)  for proper shipping of fragile items. Cheaping out never ends well.

You can get good value by buying in bulk.

I buy 700' of high-quality bubble and 700' of foam wrap at a time 🙂

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Morning, PV. Had to laugh, am watching the fragalee leg lamp movie now lolol.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@pvcliff wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Did you write in black marker on the box, fragile, handle with care.  Please hand stamp only.

Nope, never.

Why not?

True "Fragile" handling requires a Special USPS sticker and costs about $10.

Anything else is ignored by the sorting machines. And may even be targeted by some disgruntled worker 😉

Why would someone take a chance and lose a good paying job by trying a juvenile pranjk.  Especially with all the cameras in a federal work place.

Good question, how about (and this is just an example)... 

Payback for all those entitled customers, and here comes one who thinks they are so special using a 10 cent sticker because this individual thinks their precious little package is somehow more special than everyone else's.

Disgruntled employee:

You know what, I've been working here for 20 years and I still haven't got to the level where I should be and they should pay me more too, a lot more but thanks to special people who take money out of our pockets the USPS can't afford it!  So let me show you what I think of your special little package, maybe next time your cheap self will buy the $11 sticker we sell for special people like you and not try to be a self-serving cheapo too!  

The above is just an example.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

I was actually told by one of the clerks at my post office to never write fragile or put one of those sticker on a package. He said that some of the handlers will single the package out for rough handling. I've shipping hundreds of golf clubs using their long triangular box and one time I wrote "do not bend" on one. Sure enough, 2 days later, the buyer sends me a photo of the club broken in two. That's the only time I've wrote anything on those boxes and the only time I've had one damaged. I don't think alot of people care whether they get fired anymore.

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

As other posters have noted, a 4 x 4 box is not adequate for something like that. Double box is best or use a 8x6x6 box. As one poster said, invest in the right materials & boxes to minimize damage issues.

IMG_4231.JPG

Relative to fragile, I have used them for years without issue. Yes, there are "rumors" and I am sure every now and again someone at the USPS intentionally damages something, but think about it this way - if they want to intentionally break something it doesn't matter what it says on the box they are probablly doing it to every box until they run out of energy....just sayin.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

OP, I need clarifcation on 

Did the buyer receive the package "that" damaged from the post office.  If the package was that destoryed, I would believe the post office would labeled it as a damaged package.   If the buyer sent you pictures of this damage and you did indeed have the item well protected, you can fill an insurance claim with the post office. 

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Like I said there are cameras everywhere in a federal building.

You have to be pretty juvenile to risk a good paying job due to pettiness.

But you start knocking around packages and either a fellow employee is going to report you or a camera is going to catch you.

As to the delivery men, going by the King of Queens, you have too many packages that are delivered damaged and your boss is going to ask why.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply