cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to mandatory UPC “does not apply” again?

Soooo.... a week ago ebay finally lets us skip the UPC does not apply step (thankfully for those of us who NEVER use UPC) in listings but then yesterday its required again? Really? 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

For certain categories it is required.

https://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/category-updates.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

The announcement said that does not apply would no longer be on the drop down for "certain categories". eBay recommends using the UPC but in certain categories they are no longer requiring does not apply filled in if you don't have a UPC. I asked in the chat this week for a list of categories and tyler@ebay said he would try to get one.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

So, for a week it wasn’t required. Now its required again. Trying to understand who in collectibles uses UPCs. When my store is full of one-only items not in boxes, there is never an occasion when I would use a UPC. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Hi @coffeebean832 - I got this requested and am hopeful we get clarification back quickly!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I really don’t understand why ebay insists on messing with the site right before the busiest time of the year.

cant this garbage be done like in say, January?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Its their only idea to increase revenue.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Maybe but perhaps they should have been thinking of doing this months ago? I have a ton of stuff that never had UPC codes.  Or should we talk about the collectables I have where the UPC were reused for a different item by the same manufacturer.  

No matter I guess. If they want to drive more sellers away.... well ok.

Its the catalog nightmare take two.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

cant this garbage be done like in say, January?

100% agree- this should either have been done earlier- in June- or they should have held off until February when holiday and post-holiday sales have ended.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@krys888 

Around last year mid-summer, there was discussion about how Google would work with the GTCs. A Blue actually stated they required a UPC or a GTIN ? in order to have Google see your listing. There was also a video with a supposed Google rep and an ebay rep spouting the same thing. So I brought up an example that I have a Pauline Trigiere coat from the 40's, there are not and never were UPCs, GTINs. They still pushed the falsehood that Google needed that information in order for your listing to be seen. Sometimes I just wonder.  

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

They claimed Google requires one, and that was a past requirement years ago.

But nowadays you certainly do NOT need one. There's different options you could choose.

https://support.google.com/google-ads/thread/1450909?hl=en

a TLDR of the options when setting up a feed is basically:

1) Brand Name, MPN, GTIN/UPC

2) Brand Name, MPN

3) Custom Product (unique)

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay- as it's been more than 2 weeks, can you provide an update?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Hi @coffeebean832 - I haven't heard back on this yet, I'm afraid. I've sent a request for an update and will let you know as I hear back. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay- I think the most important question is whether or not sellers need to revise listings in affected categories to remove "does not apply" and instead leave the field blank. If the answer is yes then the list of categories will be important- if the answer is no then the list of categories affected probably doesn't matter that much.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply