cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Pay is just wrong on so many levels, Ebay please fix!

Just recently, I've been made aware of Ebay's Auto Pay feature.  Apparently some accounts have been "selected" ? as part of a test group, where buyers instantly pay the minute they win a bid (or have a best offer accepted).  SO... the downside of this is Huge for sellers like me.  I have buyers that like to bid on several items at a time, and they know I'll send a revised invoice with reduced shipping costs.  But with this new feature, the bids they win are instantly paid with "Auto Pay", meaning they just paid for shipping on each and every item!  Buyers are going to think we sellers created this scenario, but NO we didn't.  The buyers are unaware as well.  If you are a buyer, or a seller, please contact ebay to try to get this fixed!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@forkeepers wrote:

Just recently, I've been made aware of Ebay's Auto Pay feature.  Apparently some accounts have been "selected" ? as part of a test group, where buyers instantly pay the minute they win a bid (or have a best offer accepted).  SO... the downside of this is Huge for sellers like me.  I have buyers that like to bid on several items at a time, and they know I'll send a revised invoice with reduced shipping costs.  But with this new feature, the bids they win are instantly paid with "Auto Pay", meaning they just paid for shipping on each and every item!  Buyers are going to think we sellers created this scenario, but NO we didn't.  The buyers are unaware as well.  If you are a buyer, or a seller, please contact ebay to try to get this fixed!

Fix it yourself, you can turn off the Auto-Pay in your settings if you don't want it to apply to your listings.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@forkeepers 

As slippinjimmy said, this is a Seller option that can be turned off in your "Buyer Requirements"

You can find it at the bottom of this page:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@forkeepers wrote:

Buyers are going to think we sellers created this scenario, but NO we didn't.  The buyers are unaware as well.  If you are a buyer, or a seller, please contact ebay to try to get this fixed!

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

!ebay-pay-up.jpg

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

How should a seller disclose to potential buyers they have turned off auto pay on auctions & offers ?

@slippinjimmy wrote:
Fix it yourself, you can turn off the Auto-Pay in your settings if you don't want it to apply to your listings

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I unchecked those boxes just today, unaware ebay had checked them for me!  I hope that fixes it for my account, but this was never told to us.  I only learned this from Community.  Buyers that are in this test market are unaware.  They are supposed to be given 4 days to pay.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Bulk edit all listings to add that notation if desired

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Buyers that are in the "test" will be made immediately aware as a soon as they attempt to "offer" or "bid" that they no longer have "4 days to pay" with sellers that have not "opted out".

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

@forkeepers wrote:

Buyers are going to think we sellers created this scenario, but NO we didn't.  The buyers are unaware as well.  If you are a buyer, or a seller, please contact ebay to try to get this fixed!

This is the fix for unpaid items.

Sellers:  "Do something about these deadbeat waste-of-timers!!!!" (there is a post right now about allowing sellers to leave negs for deadbeats 😞

Also Sellers: "Don't make buyers auto-pay!!!!" (this post)

This is a Seller option because of that dichotomy. Those that find it a good option can keep non-payers away completely.  Those that don't find it that much of a problem (like myself) can turn it off and take the risk that a buyer might not pay.

To each their own.

Oh and BTW - this was mentioned in the 2023 Seller Update

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-summer/financials

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

I recommended to one of my regular sellers to opt out and they confirmed they added me to their exemption list too, and I still get the auto pay to make offers to them. What is the exemption list good for?

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

What is there to fix?  Use it or don't use it. 

Half the posts to this board are sellers complaining about buyers not paying for auctions they won and/or not carrying through after making offers which were accepted. 

Now, the other half of the posts to this board are sellers complaining about an announced, optional fix to those problems, and a fix that brings eBay into line with the industry standard.

It would seem that eBay is condemned if it does and condemned if it doesn't. 

-

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

It does exempt those that have been "restricted for non-payment", but the

exemption list is not "coded" to apply to the new "preauthorize payment test".

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

OH NO! I get paid when I sell an item! How dare eBay abuse me with this grave injustice! They never look out for us small sellers! Now they make sure the buyer pays after a purchase! This is a new low eBay! Fix it!

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Does it exempt you from the sellers UPI assistant?

I've had sellers put me on their exempt list to extend the time to win more items toward combined shipping and the UPI assistant still cancelled my orders and gave me strikes which I appealed and won of course. Then the sellers had to create BIN's w/BO so I could rebuy them. Big waste of time for both of us, an exempt list should exempt everything, we shouldn't have to figure it out by trial and error.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

It would seem that eBay is condemned if it does and condemned if it doesn't. 

Ebay places sellers into auto pay & fails to provide the seller with notice that they have been enrolled  without their knowledge into autopay

Message 15 of 29
latest reply