cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticator sent wrong shoes to buyer?

Buyer bought a pair of Jordan 1s, size 12 from me. Ebay automatically enrolled me in their Authentication process. I sent the shoes to the Authenticator and they were verified. The money was transferred to me.

Today, a few days later I get a notification saying the buyer wants to return. The push notification opens the app the return screen. The buyer is saying the Authenticator sent them the wrong shoes completely. Size 9 of a completely different shoe style. I close the return screen to get customer service on the line. I check my messages in the meantime. Even though I didn't select an option the app automatically chose to accept the return. When I got customer service on the line they said they can only do something about it 48 hours from now on a Saturday. I told them that wasn't acceptable, that I can't have $106 come out of my account because of EBAY'S OWN AUTHENTICATOR messing up. They said there is nothing they can do. I asked to speak to a manager. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, they said a supervisor is on another call and that they can call me back. I said no, I want to wait until they finish that call and to have them call me back. They then hung up on me.

How is this not fraud on Ebay's part? I listed an item, they verified it, took money from me for listing it, auto-enrolled me in their authenticator program, the authenticator does who knows what with the shoes, sends the wrong shoes out, and now I can't do anything about them taking funds from my account AND they refuse to do anything about it through their customer service?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Authenticator sent wrong shoes to buyer?

Thought I would update this. Ebay decided to deny the buyer a refund and no returns were made. I don't know if this means on their end they are handling things with the Authenticator or not. I'm just happy I'm not going to have $100+ taken out of my account or be in limbo.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

what makes you think the buyer is not trying a switch out of the item??

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

You are not the first seller to report a problem with the authentication center. EBay contracts out this service and it seems like the contractor they are using has not been the best choice. Mistakes range from those like yours, outright loss or theft of an item once it reaches the center, center damaging items, etc. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@zacdi17 wrote:

Thought I would update this. Ebay decided to deny the buyer a refund and no returns were made. I don't know if this means on their end they are handling things with the Authenticator or not. I'm just happy I'm not going to have $100+ taken out of my account or be in limbo.

Hopefully Ebay took care of it.

If they did receive the wrong shoes and they were told, to bad, they can go to their payment source and open a case.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

You are so right, ebay needs to give us a contact person that we can tag ( for the authentication process) like we do Devon or Velvet or Elizabeth.  This is the 2nd thread on this subject just today.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

You are not the first seller to report a problem with the authentication center. EBay contracts out this service and it seems like the contractor they are using has not been the best choice. Mistakes range from those like yours, outright loss or theft of an item once it reaches the center, center damaging items, etc. 

eBay owns the Sneaker Authentication Business.

(Nov 29, 2021) eBay Acquires Sneaker Con Authentication Business

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-acquires-sneaker-con-authentication-business 

https://investors.ebayinc.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2021/eBay-Acquires-Sneaker-Con-Aut... 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay owns the Sneaker Authentication Business.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-acquires-sneaker-con-authentication-business 

https://investors.ebayinc.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2021/eBay-Acquires-Sneaker-Con-Aut...

My mistake/error. That being the case you would think they would have a vested interest in fixing some of the problems. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I just went through this same thing, as a buyer! I ordered air Jordan 12 gold and black size 9.5 and they sent me Jordan 1 blue white and black size 13!!! This is unacceptable , I will never buy another pair of shoes that says “authenticity guaranteed” or really most likely I’ll never buy another item on eBay again!!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The same thing just happened to me as a buyer. I'm being Vans collector myself and recently ordered a pair of very rare Vans Slip-Ons for my friend's bday but ebay Authenticator sent me a pair of ugly New Balance. I didn't even check the sizing, was too **bleep** off with this situation. Filed a case, sealed them in a box, and almost immediately shipped those sneakers back. 

I used to buy my Vans through Authenticators before, and there wasn't any problem. Didn't even know that there is such an issue. Pretty disappointed with this considering that I paid for the shipping extra $15 too.

My case is still on hold, but no matter how it's going to be resolved, I'm strongly convinced to STAY AWAY from this shady business. I will also alert other collectors and shoe lovers about what kind of scam they can be drugged into. It's absolutely uncontrollable trade and unacceptable that they are leaving in charge of their mistakes buyers and sellers. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Sadly, this same situation happened to me today! It was the same brand/style, but the size is wrong and the seller said they sent the right size. What did you do in your situation? Did you first request a return or go straight to eBay? The listing doesn’t allow returns and I’m reluctant to send them back unless I know I’ll get a refund.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I've sold items Authenticated items before -- in the Sneakers and Handbags categories. I believe the policy at that time was that if an item was Authenticated, it was final sale.

After reading your post, I just checked the policy again on these two categories and learned that now only "some" authenticated items are final sale. 

Thanks for educating me. We see nothing stays the same here.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@leahjoyshopping 

You have a 30 day money back guarantee.  File a return citing you received the wrong item.  The seller should send you a return label.  Mail them back to the seller & once they receive them in their possession,  you should be refunded.  If you have any problems or questions, contact eBay thru social media via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These agents are US CS eBay employees and may better serve you and your situation.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  In the past they were helpful concerning my issue at hand.  Give it a try...it might be worth it.

Good luck to you!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply