cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction Sabotage Bots - Scalping - and a *Win Win* solution for everyone.

I believe that a simple solution can be implemented for the bots that sabotage auctions made by people angry that they can't get an item at a specific price. 

THE PROBLEM:

There are some stores that special order items at a premium and resell them on eBay higher than MSRP. These stores aren't using bots. But they are being accused of being scalper bots. They have their auction sabotaged and aren't able to sell. Buyers aren't able to buy. eBay makes no commission. 

TYPICAL SCENARIO:

- Auction is about to end.

- Bots bid around 3,000 dollars or some outrageous price so that no one can buy the item.

- The seller is charged a fee based on the sale up to 10%, and then eBay has to refund this fee.

-This costs the seller time and money. This causes eBay to lose time and money. And this prevents customers from being able to buy the item. 

Another side effect is that, ironically, this keeps the price of the item high because eBay users, oblivious to what is happening, see these items sell at those high prices and then believe they are worth a higher price than they are, which encourages scalping. Making the issue even worse by the people who in their minds are "fighting it."

THE SOLUTION: 

Sellers need a way to block bots preemptively. Bots are generally going to fall into these categories: A user registered within the last 30 days. A user with zero feedback.

The first step would be to give sellers a way to block users in this category without blocking legitimate new users. If all users in this category are blocked, that will discourage new users to eBay. 

So give the seller an option. "Block unverified accounts from bidding if they have zero feedback and or have been registered within the last 30 days."

Then give the buyer two options.

Option 1. When a new buyer visits an auction that has this setting enabled, they will see a message "This buyer doesn't allow bids from users with zero feedback that have been recently registered. Click here to verify that you are a legitimate nonautomated eBay user."

The eBay buyer will then send a message to the seller requesting to be added to a white list of bidders with zero feedback. The buyer can then bid on that seller's auction. This is a good option for eBay users who are already recently registered.

Option 2: Become a verified user. When an eBay user is registering, give them the option to become a "verified user" which could be done several ways. Link their eBay account to established Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. An account that has existed for more than a year. Then have an eBay representative call the eBay user and verify their information. This will take less time than it takes to deal with every instance of sabotage. 

This gives the buyer the ability to block automated bots. It still gives the user the ability to bid on an auction if they are new, thereby not discouraging new users from joining eBay. Auction final sale values will go down.  eBay makes more money. This works for everyone. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Auction Sabotage Bots - Scalping - and a *Win Win* solution for everyone.

No doubt this is about a video game...  Your angst should be with the manufacturerer who made them in limited quantities.  

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Yup... Just Called ebay about this and was told he'll take down my complaint and send it to somewhere with high priority... nevermind the 3days of auctions i have ending this week around 5-10Grand... 

Because i have nothing better to do than sit here and watch items every 5min for 8 hours a day sell to make sure im not getting botted and accused from buyers that im bidding people up. not to mention all of this is under my business name and turns my customers away hurting both my auctions and my customer base... 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I'm a bit lost.  Why would a bot bid on something?  They have no money or use for it, so what, you are calling this a bot sport? 

the first site that thinks this is good idea will be the first one to go bankrupt.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

" by people angry that they can't get an item at a specific price. "

A down side to auctions I would say.  Those unhappy buyers should stick to fixed price listings.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply