cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attn Jewelry sellers..buyer claims diamond ring tw is less than stamped on the piece

I sold a gold ring with 5 diamonds totalling 1/2 carat. The ring is stamped 14k and 1/2 tw. The listing and pictures indicate that it is 1/2 ctw. They received the ring yesterday and supposedly already (by 10 AM local time) received word from their jeweler that the total weight is "3.5". I think they meant .35. They want to either return it or receive a partial refund. I sold it for $225 and the gold value alone is $205 as it weighs 5.48g.

Are there any jewelers that could help me with what to do aside from accepting a return?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Attn Jewelry sellers..buyer claims diamond ring tw is less than stamped on the piece

Gosh we pay more for scrap gold than that, melt today on 14K is over $33 a gram. Tiny diamonds like that though, we pay nothing extra, just pop em in a jar and sell em to the diamond buyer. Only better pieces ever see this site, we make more scrapping it out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Attn Jewelry sellers..buyer claims diamond ring tw is less than stamped on the piece

Accept the return. Your already losing money. Do you really think a 1/2ct or even .35ct is worth 20.00?????? Check completed sales for loose diamonds. Even a junk I2 diamond of .35ct sells for 100+ alone.  Dont forget about the ebay fees. Relist the ring and Id gladly pay you 225.00 for it. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I also suggest you educating yourself on the real cost of gold and take into consideration the ebay fees. You also lost money on that 14k necklace you sold. As a scrap buyer I would have paid more then what you ended up with total. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The diamonds would be roughly 0.10 carat each, they are claiming roughly 0.07 each. How could they have an accurate  weight without popping them out? Can't accurately measure weight by size, close but not exact.

The gold buyer paid me $20/g for 14k and hence why I sold the necklace and ring on ebay. After fees I still received just shy of $30/g.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Gosh we pay more for scrap gold than that, melt today on 14K is over $33 a gram. Tiny diamonds like that though, we pay nothing extra, just pop em in a jar and sell em to the diamond buyer. Only better pieces ever see this site, we make more scrapping it out.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Exactly, the diamonds aren't worth much as they are so small. I ended up clearing $191 on the ring, which is over $34/g. I think I did fine. But, I'll be offering to cool.jeweles first from now on lol.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

They're fishing to get it for less.

"Sorry you're unhappy with the ring, please return for refund".

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I've seen this issue before.  Not saying who is right or wrong though.  Sometimes they would mark 1/2ct and it was for 2 rings.  The engagement and the band along with it.   Its annoying, but it happens.  Did you measure the diamonds?  or just went with what the ring stated?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, they asked for a partial refund or a return... I believe you're correct.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

This isn't a set. It's an eternity ring. I have the receipt from the chain jewelry store from the 1990's. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Your gold buyer is a thief. With gold at 1995.00 I pay 31.00 a gram for 14k gold. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Right on LOL

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

For the smaller melee (.50tcw) we would still pay 30+  depending on the color and clarity. 30.00 is based on I1 I diamonds. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I told them they could return it but it is as described. Today, I got an message asking for $15 back. Yep, just want it for less.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Oh heck, just give them the $15 and be glad it wasn't a bigger problem. 
I've had buyers oh this is defective blah blah then  I offer them some cash and they take it.
Better than dealing with a return. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply