cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assault Weapons

Does anyone know if there is a compiled list of all the firearms that would be considered an "assault weapon"?  I was trying to brush up on the rules, but so far the only thing I've come across is a 96 page pdf of legalese gibberish from the California state law, that I'm really not interested in reading.  There are some guns listed on pages 7-9 in the table of contents for that pdf, but I'm not sure if that's all the guns that are considered "assault weapons" by ebay.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Assault Weapons

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@janet9988 wrote:

No guns can be sold on ebay.

Yes I know that.  I'm more concerned with accessories.  You can't sell accessories for "assault weapons", but there's no clarification for what is considered an assault weapon.

There are tons of listings for assault weapon accessories.  Just a quick look for ar-15 magazines pulled up 1339 hits, including high capacity magazines (illegal in California and a few other states), speed loaders, magazine couplers (connect two 30 round mags into convenient 60 round bundle).  

Here's the California definition of "assault weapon" (effective 2018):

California now defines an “assault weapon” as any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle or semi-automatic pistol that lacks a fixed magazine and has one of a number of features that include a protruding pistol grip or a folding or telescoping stock.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

This is quite a disturbing thread...especially after the shooting yesterday.
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

Not nearly as many times as rouge governments have slaughtered our children when their parents were unarmed.

Interesting, since you said 'our children' your comment made me look up massacres in the US that - it's actually quite disturbing to see how many were carried out by state/federal sanction.  I started with Kent State and went back from there.  It was particularly interesting how many there have been.  Not one seems to have been mitigated by the citizens' right to bear arms.   But citizen militia account for a large number of massacres too.  I didn't restrict my search to those involving children. 

An interesting aside for anyone who thinks trade unions are a blight upon society, it's disturbing how many time government and mercenaries/hired security (think Pinkertons) killed workers seeking fair pay and working conditions. Some were mowed down with machine guns by state troops. Some by 'militia'. (for a particularly disturbing read - look up the Thibodaux massacre)

Not sure the issue is rogue governments but I don't know.  I guess it's complicated, although not to the dead.

Well Kudos to you for doing your research. I actually was not just referring to "our" government but all governments in recent modern history (since the inception of the firearm). We often fool ourselves with the thought that "it's 2019 and we're more civilized now, that won't happen again". Unfortunately,  I don't have that much faith in my fellow man. Evil is only ever one leader away, no matter if it is 2019 or 1919. I prefer to live in a society where law abiding citizens are armed.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

@batboy.inc wrote:

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@janet9988 wrote:

No guns can be sold on ebay.

Yes I know that.  I'm more concerned with accessories.  You can't sell accessories for "assault weapons", but there's no clarification for what is considered an assault weapon.

There are tons of listings for assault weapon accessories.  Just a quick look for ar-15 magazines pulled up 1339 hits, including high capacity magazines (illegal in California and a few other states), speed loaders, magazine couplers (connect two 30 round mags into convenient 60 round bundle).  

Here's the California definition of "assault weapon" (effective 2018):

California now defines an “assault weapon” as any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle or semi-automatic pistol that lacks a fixed magazine and has one of a number of features that include a protruding pistol grip or a folding or telescoping stock.

There's definitely plenty of things that get listed that aren't supposed to be allowed, but I try my best to work within the rules.  That's why it's so frustrating when the rules aren't clearly laid out.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

I prefer to live in a society where law abiding citizens are armed.

Yes, but law abiding citizens don't always stay that way and as it says in Proverbs 21:2, Every way of man is right in his own eyes.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 20 of 33
latest reply

"I prefer to live in a society where law abiding citizens are armed."

"Yes, but law abiding citizens don't always stay that way and as it says in Proverbs 21:2, Every way of man is right in his own eyes." And neither do Governments. I have no issue with law abiding citizens who pass background checks and any state applied laws to either own a weapon or have a CCW permit. Do people or the law blame a bottle of whiskey or a case of beer for a DWI with a death or deaths involved?
Spec. 5 101st M.I. Battalion Camp Forsyth Kansas 1980-1986
Message 21 of 33
latest reply

I abhor anything related to guns, period!

Get rid of guns. We'll live in peace by then. 

latest reply

Do people or the law blame a bottle of whiskey or a case of beer for a DWI with a death or deaths involved?

In the past the alcohol was indeed blamed, that's what the 18th Amendment was about in large part.   Nowadays, sometimes the one who serves the booze gets a share of the blame for what happens afterward.

There's a wide range of opinions on who, if anyone, should be denied a firearm.  There are some who are strongly opposed to background checks, particularly universal ones and there are some odd (to me) regulations about how long data can be stored and/or accessed regarding the unsuccessful attempt to purchase a firearm. 

Ditto whether previously legally purchased firearms should be confiscated following a felony conviction, a mental health crisis, or a restraining order or its violation.  

As many opinions as can be held, there are at least as many people to hold those opinions, it would seem.  Then there is a wide range of self-allowed discretion at the law enforcement level as to whether restrictions are upheld and to what degree and much of this gets further confused by racial issues.  For some interesting reading - try Black Americans and the Paradox of Concealed Carry Laws published in EBONY magazine in 2016 and take a peek at what NRA's position on the issue has been on some issues and cricket-like silence on others.  Also fun reading is NRA's history - I like to think of it in terms of pre and post 1971. But that's a conversation for some other day.  Remember marksmanship and gun safety?  Those were simpler times!

And of course, we're entirely off the topic of 'assault weapons' however you might choose to define them.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

@escuintla wrote:

Really!  I believe that before firearms were invented there was just as little peace as there is today.  Didn't Cain use a rock to commit the first murder?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@escuintla wrote:

Really!  I believe that before firearms were invented there was just as little peace as there is today.  Didn't Cain use a rock to commit the first murder?

@7606dennis wrote:

@escuintla wrote:

I am not shy to debate these things. I survived situations of life and death. Not in combat, but as a civilian.  I will refrain from telling you how much violence, and how many deaths I witnessed where I came from.  

But, I am a joker, so, let's answer to your question, shall we? Smiley Very Happy

Cain and Abel? If you believe that story, you also have to believe that one day people thought our earth was flat.

Now, this other thing: How on this earth Adam and Eve are our parents? Does that mean brothers and sisters were getting married? No wonder we are so violent! Smiley Very Happy

If you believe in that, I have a beautiful ranch for $20 on a beach in Idaho. Smiley Very Happy

Oh, speaking of the bible, you know that an adulterous person has to be stoned to death per the bible teachings.

I know somebody so famous right now that needs to be put to that test. I will ask Stormy Daniels for an opinion. Smiley Very Happy

Leviticus 20:10  
If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

The bible is so violent, right? So much "kill them if they don't obey me". That's why they didn't need guns back then. Smiley Wink

Peace brother wolf. Smiley Very Happy

latest reply

Nowadays, sometimes the one who serves the booze gets a share of the blame for what happens afterward.

Yes, indeed.

Dram shop liability refers to the body of law governing the liability of taverns, liquor stores, and other commercial establishments that serve alcoholic beverages. ... The laws are intended to protect the general public from the hazards of serving alcohol to minors and intoxicated patrons.
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@escuintla wrote:

Yes, he did...and he killed his own brother.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

"I abhor anything related to guns, period!

Get rid of guns. We'll live in peace by then."

-----------

And we'll have gotten rid of the ability to defend ourselves until the police arrive.

What about the elderly couple who are confronted by two strong men breaking down their front door, carrying knives?

?
Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

These types of weapons have been around since the early 1900's. In the early years the deaths that were caused by them were bad people using them against other bad people. You pretty much never heard of some one shooting up a church because of religious hatred or a school for what ever reason.

The people who want to do away with them actually have no idea how many are out there. No one knows how many are out there. Not the government or any other entity. Only recently have they started registering them when bought new.

When I went to school in the sixties some of us even had hunting guns in our vehicles so we could go hunting right after school. No one never ever dreamt of taking one inside and shooing the place up. Heck I even took my deer rifle in for show and tell once. Yea I had to store it in the principles office and have no ammo for it but no one ever thought that some one would use it or any weapon to shoot up the school.

So what has changed? Think about the time line for when these heinous acts started. Two things come to mind. The first one was the closing of mental institutions. I have a mentally handicapped and physically disabled son who can become very violent under certain circumstances. After assaulting several people with his crutches and being sent to the mental ward at the local hospital four different times I finally got a competency hearing for him only to find that even though myself and my son agreed with them that he as a threat to himself and others they would do nothing for him. They sent him back to the personal care facility where he assaulted these people.

Second and biggest one is the internet. None of these incidents in this country started until the world wide web was born! It's used for a lot of good but it's also used to spread hate, fear and lies. Never hear mention of any one wanting to do away with the web.

You can ban guns all you want but the hate will still be there. The guns will still be there. If a person has the much hate and they can't get a gun a bomb will do the job for them.

So, you can put the blame where ever some one convinces you it belongs but until they solve these issues nothing is going to change. 

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

You are welcome, indeed... I wouldn't have it any other way. "No greater love hath a man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." ( or , for those who can't for themselves ).

To serve in humility is the greatest role, may God so move me...

MSgt B. Gaelzhamer 18BC3 USArmy Ret.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply