cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 3rd what to Do?

The ebay shipping team---as far as I can see---has not yet posted about this ,although we've been promised they will, um, "soon"

So, for those who may have missed it. USPS will be adding some new surcharges on April 3rd. The most important changes:

for Priority, Priority Express and Parcel Select/Retail Ground:

Packages longer than 22": an extra $4.00

Packages longer then 30" OR larger than 2 cubic feet: an extra $15.00

I assume ebay will factor this into calculated shipping.  

So far, there is NO indication that ebay managed to strike a deal with USPS to exclude ebay or provide a reduced surcharge. Nor has ebay provided suggestions for sellers on how to reduce the impact of these new surcharges. (I use only USPS, but may have to consider UPS or FedEx going forward)

For now, however, this is what I've done. It might not benefit me, and then again, maybe it will...just throwing it out there as a suggestion, and you can of course, vary it as you please: I'm running a coded coupon 10% off sale between today and the 27th...with a notice on my store home page (don't know if anyone will see it) that buyers can buy now and save 10% AND avoid the new fees. The items on sale are all items that might be impacted by the increase. 

Again, I might get nothing from this, but if I can sell a few of these things before the fees go up, I'll be glad to get them out of here LOL

So, again, if you sell larger items and use USPS, it might be something to consider....

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: April 3rd what to Do?

@tsme35  I'm not sure the USPS is open to negotiation on surcharges (as opposed to regular fees), and my guess is, if they were willing to consider it, ebay tried to get a discount for ebay sellers for the simple reason that it would give ebay an edge over its competitors. I'd guess USPS has set these rates not just to cover the extra cost of non-machine sorted packages, but also to try to reduce the number of those packages in the system.....giving ebay a discount could have the opposite effect.

(Not that I wasn't hoping to hear that ebay got a discount, but from what I understand, neither did etsy, and, as far as I know, neither did anyone else. )

As I've said elsewhere, I would really like to see a formal announcement from the ebay shipping team on this issue, and a "resource page" with advice about shipping alternatives, etc. Unfortunately, so far, just....crickets.

I, too, have passed up some nice stuff because of this, and I also have a lot of stuff here that is unlisted that will incur the charges, and I'm going to need to figure out how to handle that stuff.

I have pretty good margins on most of my stuff, and I think I've got wiggle room on a lot of items that might be subject to the $4.00 surcharge...but it's a lot harder to accommodate the $15 surcharge...

But it is what it is, and "adapt, improvise and overcome" is my mantra, so we'll see....

Message 16 of 77
latest reply

Yea I just mentioned it because ebay brags they negotiated the best deals from the USPS but they don't. I did talk to my post master about the increase, she said basically its because large packages cost them more then they charge and don't want mess with them.

I agree, ebay should have mention this back in December when the new rates were posted, also the random scanning of 5 packages per pick up.

I've lucked out made a killing the last 2 yrs, got the house paid off, now I just need another 5 yrs and I can retire with a little savings but these twice yearly postage increases I'll doubt that will happen.

But yea, I've adapt to all ebay's changes the last 15 yrs, I'll figure it out and find another smallies niche to fill the void

Message 17 of 77
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I have reviewed every item I currently have posted or intend to post and am looking at alternate shipping through UPS which, unless they change their rates or add a surcharge, will become cheaper than USPS after the surcharges go into effect. However given the horror stories associated with the unilateral UPS and FedEx charges on labels purchased through eBay I will utilize other discount shipping services like Pirate Ship to purchase the labels and then upload the tracking information into eBay. 

For the things I have checked so far using UPS Ground or even UPS 3 Day Select will be cheaper than USPS with the surcharges. 

Interestingly enough I still have several of the Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Game Boxes which measure 24" x 12" x 3" and although USPS has discontinued the box they apparently will still honor the flat rate even though it exceeds the 22" surcharge limit. 

a1.jpg

@dbfolks166mt   Thank you for that!  I use those boxes all fall and winter for shipping coats and multiple item orders.  I feared that because they were phasing out the game boxes, they wouldn't honour them, but hadn't double checked on that.  It's a relief that I can use them next year - I have about 25 left and that will squeak me through my final season.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 77
latest reply

I have sold a few fishing rods, sometimes rod/reel combo's, over the years but like you I feel the surcharges are going to bring that to an end, at least as far as shipping them on eBay. I am fortunate that I live in a large metropolitan area that is very close to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean and have had pretty good success selling on several local forums where there are no fees and the pickup/exchange is P2P. I will probably still list them on eBay as well but go with local pickup only. I have considered bundling several rods together to divide the cost among the rods in a single shipment but not sure how much of a demand there would for multiple rods. 

More than likely this is just going to be one of those areas where the shipping is going to be a deal killer for listing this type of item on eBay and hoping for any significant profit margin. 

Message 19 of 77
latest reply

What about the dual use Priority Mail box that is shaped like a triangle?  This box is 38 1/8" in length.  Will there be a surcharge on this "standard" box?  Also, what about mailing tubes for big posters?  Are mailing tubes considered a "parcel"?  

Message 20 of 77
latest reply

@ednkarens wrote:

Also, what about mailing tubes for big posters?  Are mailing tubes considered a "parcel"?  

Common sense says they are. And so does the USPS:

"If your mailpiece isn't a postcard, Letter, or a flat (large envelope) , then it's a parcel"

https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=Parcels

Message 21 of 77
latest reply

I've do that, bundle a few rods together, the do sell, just have to find the right buyer. Thinking about still doing that and maybe do free shipping and add in the cost of shipping in price, then if they get broken and I file a claim it would cover the shipping. I'm in the boonies so selling on local venues isn't doing very good.

Message 22 of 77
latest reply

Yes, I double check the with USPS on the triangle boxes, they are included in the $15 surcharge. I tried to argue its "your" box and you issue them but to no avail.

Message 23 of 77
latest reply

Yea have to remember to pull all the large items a couple days before increase, hate to sell a fishing rod on April 2 and ship on the 3rd, like you said no ebay comment so don't know if it'll be added to ebay's shown shipping or added to label when printed.

Message 24 of 77
latest reply

I sell mostly car tailights and headlights. Light but bulky packages. The previous rate changes really slowed sales down, and this may be just a final blow. Already, to ship from here (Michigan) to Cali or Florida is so expensive, not much goes that way.  With these extra costs, I don't see many sales coming, smh. I hadn't really looked much at UPS, in the past seems like they were pretty close to USPS rates, guess it's time to look again!

Message 25 of 77
latest reply

Whelp ebay finally posted an announcement,  according to it, the surcharge will be shown in the shipping price to the buyer.

OH don't forget if you use ebay labels it'll save you up to 30%(sarcasm)

Message 26 of 77
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote: ... One thing we did learn the other week is that if a box exceeds 30" AND 2 cubic feet, it will only be assessed one $15.00 surcharge. 

Who did you learn that from?  Today's announcement from eBay says "A maximum of two non-standard fees may be assessed for a package."   This implies that you could get a length-related surcharge AND the   surcharge for over 2 cubic feet.

Message 27 of 77
latest reply

The reason they are probably included is they were simply a priority mail triangle box and not a flat rate box. Had they been a flat rate box I suspect they would continue to honor the flat rate even though it exceeded the limit. Just like they are going to continue to honor the flat rate on the Large Flat Rate Gaming box even though it is over the limit. 

I suspect the demand for the longer triangle box will drop considerably after 3 April. I have several that I will be taking back to the post office. 

Message 28 of 77
latest reply

Yet another unanswered question, I'm guessing it would apply to not measuring the package right, $1.50 charge and being over 30" or 2 cu ft, $15 charge but then again I'd never thought they'd add a 150% surcharge either. I don't think I've sold anything over 2 cu ft so I should be good.

Message 29 of 77
latest reply

I order a ton of triangle boxes to ship what I have left, the rest is going into a burn pile.

Message 30 of 77
latest reply