cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appealing a defect.

I sold an item a few weeks ago, and the buyer requested I delay shipping for several days because his place of business was closed until January 2, and there would be nobody there to receive the item. I did as they asked, and ebay gave me a "late shipping" defect. I appealed the defect, and ebay's robot "reviewed my case" for a couple of hours, and OF COURSE, refused to remove the defect (no reason given). Also they informed me the decision was final and I should not try to pursue it any further (or words to that effect.) This is not a question, I just thought I would let the community know about this no-win situation that ebay put me in. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Appealing a defect.

I've had buyers ask me to hold a shipment for a day or so in the past.

I will still process the shipment and enter the tracking number, I just don't actually ship it until the requested date. 

I haven't gotten a late shipping ding yet, so I guess it works.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Yes, this is a frustrating choice and can feel as if one’s customer service is being downgraded. It is unfortunate to tell a buyer you cannot hold a shipment. But there are some ways to still ship on time and satisfy the buyer’s schedule.

One solution would be to remove the listing from the platform and hold it to relist when the buyer can be accommodated. But there is no guarantee the buyer will come back to purchase the item. Another method would be to revise the listing with a longer handling time that then suits the buyer’s needs.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I would suggest the buyer have his mail held at the post office while his business is closed.

This is a buyer issue.

Not a seller issue.

By accepting his request you made it a seller issue and have the late shipping defect mark to show for it.

This is the 2024 version of eBay, it's not the early Pierre days anymore.  

They buy, they pay, I ship.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

That isn't what I would call a defect, since those are for seller cancellations & unresolved by seller cases.   If you have no other hits to your shipping metrics, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Ebay does have some wiggle room to accommodate this request occasionally without it affecting anything.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the heads up.

If a seller asks you to not follow ebay protocol, and you agree not to follow ebay protocol, you may get a defect. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

There are no more sales that are between buyer and seller. eBay doesn't really facilitate the sale, they completely control it.

You and your buyer can't make ANY agreements outside of the TOS and the rules of this platform. That includes delayed shipping. You have to hold completely to the terms of the sale. Period. Even if that makes a buyer unhappy and/or causes you to lose the sale. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@e.j.lectronimo Sorry, it doesn't work on Ebay that way any longer.. if you have a certain handling time for an order, Ebay REQUIRES you to ship in that time (even if your store is in "vacation mode" as I have found out)

You needed to let your buyer know you HAD to ship in your required handling time and i have found it helpful to tell the buyer they can have their mail held, free of charge, at their post office. 

If it was a business you were sending to, usually the post office would "know" that and not deliver until open

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It does impact you if you just pack it and run a label, but don't have it scanned by USPS. 

To be considered shipped, it must be packed, label printed and scanned by USPS into the system by your  stated shipping date.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply