cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appeal WIN for the Selling team vs Buyer "switcharoo" fraudsters

I see a lot of negative posts about sellers not having any luck with Ebay's appeals system. I had a rather positive experience and feel quite vindicated (so I thought I'd share to boost the holiday spirit)!

I had a buyer file a return, claiming that their customer received a faulty product. I understood their disappointment, but didn't feel that myself or Ebay should be subsidizing a reseller's relationship with their customers. The reseller apparently thought the item was good enough to resell, so my responsibility should have ended there. The fact that the buyer gave this tidbit up in their communication is ultimately what won the case, so please take note of this if you are dealing with a fraudulent reseller.

While I had immediately filed a counterclaim, Ebay's automated system granted the Buyer a return. And imagine my surprise when I received a completely different unit than the one I sold (this probably doesn't surprise some of you). I had sent off a new, manufacturer sealed, item. The one I received back was a disgusting mess (I mean actually disgusting). Not only this, but it had a different manufacturer date and a different serial number. 

I was a little shocked, because this buyer has a long history of positive feedbacks and they looked to have a legitimate business presence online. I thought they were taking too much advantage of the return policy but I didn't expect to receive a different item. I realize that buyer feedback is largely protected due to the fact that sellers can't leave negative feedback, but there was no grounds for this behavior. I also realize that some businesses are unscrupulous. Also, accounts can be stolen and resold. So who knows?

I contacted customer support, who insisted that I wait for the refund to be completed and the case to be closed. This is exactly what I did. After the refund was processed, I contacted support again. I described the reselling issues as well as the "switcharoo" issue. While the evidence in buyer communication of the resell is what ultimately won the case, support was happy to receive the switched product claim. They said they are closing down buyer accounts all the time for abusing the Money Back Guarantee. It just takes enough effort on our part as sellers to compile sufficient evidence against a buyer. Obviously, they can't just take one person's word against another.

If you have a fraudulent return, do realize that it might cost you some time to handle it properly. I don't blame you if you don't have that time. It can be a stressful process with all the correspondence and photos and waiting. But please please don't roll over for criminals just because you feel like the system is rigged against you or you are scared of a defect. We only encourage criminal behavior by being so passive. Besides, a mistaken "defect" wouldn't be the end of the world with an otherwise positive selling record.

Ebay doesn't sell products itself so I assure you that they care about sellers too. They don't benefit from losing good sellers. I'll tell you one thing: Customer support here communicates far better with sellers than those working for that other massive online retailer. 

90% of the time, an instant refund is the right thing to give a disappointed customer (I often let them keep the product too). I'll bend over backwards for my customers, even if they are being a little absurd some times. I don't mind taking the occasional loss in the name of good service. But we have to draw a hard line between disappointed customers and those that are actively trying to defraud the system.

Long rant, I know. But I wanted you all to know that you can mark one down for the selling team vs. fraudsters and that Ebay handled it efficiently and with great communication. We don't always hear about the positive outcomes. Also, they do take down any feedback received, positive or negative, after an appeal is decided in the seller's favor.  I had already left the buyer positive feedback after payment and am happy to have it rescinded.

I've taken the additional measure of contacting the fraudster's business directly to ascertain whether or not they are actually associated with the fraudulent buyers. Once I find out exactly who is culpable (and there are two names involved with my transaction, one the Ebay account holder and "president" of this company, another the recipient and item returner), whether the business itself or a rogue employee or two, I'll be contacting the BBB, IC3, and the presiding police department. I'll also take the step of making my problems known on the business's social media facing fronts if they are at fault and don't address the issue.

Some of you are may think I'm taking this a little far, but I don't take blatant fraud lightly (especially during the holidays and especially when I have to open a filthy mess of a box). Someone has to go after these guys to make up for everyone that has gotten too complacent (myself included).

Anyway, Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to Ebay, all of its employees, and all of its top-notch buyers and sellers!

RighteousRelics

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Good for you.  I just received a SNAD return today in the mail for an item they claimed didn't light up.  It lights up fine, so I suppose they just wanted me to pay the shipping both ways for their return.  I may call after Christmas to see what I can do.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I would send a photo to them with it properly lit up, apologizing for the problems, and offering step-by-step assistance (even if it's as simple as: 1. Ensure household has functional electrical panel 2. Plug two-prong cord into standard household 120v receptacle). I would also offer to mail it with FREE shipping if they would like to purchase it again now that they understand operating proceedure.

By doing so, you force them to either ignore your polite message (albeit a tad snarky) or say something that might incriminate themselves and aid you in your shipping case.

Regardless, it can't hurt to have support mark a seller complaint by their name. Was this a new item?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@righteousrelics wrote:

I see a lot of negative posts about sellers not having any luck with Ebay's appeals system. I had a rather positive experience and feel quite vindicated (so I thought I'd share to boost the holiday spirit)!

I understood their disappointment, but didn't feel that myself or Ebay should be subsidizing a reseller's relationship with their customers.

Um, but that's exactly what happened: Ebay subsidized your switched-product claim! Sorry, but you didn't win. Instead, our collective fees paid for your appeal.

You got: A courtesy refund

Your buyer got: Away

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Neither of us can verify whether my remuneration came from the Buyer himself or our collective fees.  The communication to me, through support, was that the refund decision was reversed and the Buyer's account debited. Regardless, he's one step closer to getting his account suspended and the relevant venues will be given notice of his fraud. This is the best I can do and I have been given no reason to believe Ebay let the buyer "walk away" as you say.

I don't understand your desire to partake in a leap of logic in the negative direction. Do you have an active buyer/seller account? Merry Christmas.

Um,

Cheer up!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Great work. Congratulations. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@righteousrelics wrote:

was that the refund decision was reversed and the Buyer's account debited.

I can tell you that didn't happen that way even though someone on the phone told you it did.

You got a courtesy refund and the buyer keeps the item and the money.

The buyer got a "strike" that may or may not secretly accrue into some sort of secret punishment that no one will ever know about.

There is no way for you to tell if you are dealing with a serial scammer or abuser, they can keep doing it until they get to the maximum secret marks....and then go open a new account and start over.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@righteousrelics wrote:

Neither of us can verify whether my remuneration came from the Buyer himself or our collective fees.  The communication to me, through support, was that the refund decision was reversed and the Buyer's account debited. Regardless, he's one step closer to getting his account suspended and the relevant venues will be given notice of his fraud. This is the best I can do and I have been given no reason to believe Ebay let the buyer "walk away" as you say.

I don't understand your desire to partake in a leap of logic in the negative direction. Do you have an active buyer/seller account? Merry Christmas.

Um,

Cheer up!

Buyers can't have their accounts debited.  We haven't given Ebay the right to take money from us.  Once the money was refunded, that was it.  The buyer got a refund.  You got a courtesy refund from Ebay.  Ebay gave you the courtesy refund because you were a squeaky wheel, not because they believe you.  As far as I know, you only get one courtesy refund.  The buyer didn't get a strike of any sort because Ebay doesn't punish a buyer because of a seller's claims.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply