cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice for the relatively new and amateur sellers?

Hello,

Any advice for people who have relatively recently started participating in the selling endeavor?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Any advice for the relatively new and amateur sellers?

I learned this: if you sell pricey items, keep a pdf of proof of shipment in case they start a claim for Unauthorized transaction through their bank. This is the only thing that will save you, (the tracking expires, but the buyer has up to 6 months to do a claim) I got screwed, but I learned and always keep proof now (with my more expensive items).
Good luck!!
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

An extra note - remember if a buyer has 100% feedback it is totally & utterly meaningless - keeping in mind that a seller can't give them negative feedback even if they are a serial scammer, (returning clothes obviously worn etc), take ages to pay, don't pick up a purchase as arranged, or of course the old -" I bid & won it - now I won't pay or respond to messages". The last one really gets me - you have lost a sale opportunity window (possibly Xmas, Valentines / Mothers Day etc) and then have to re-list. Buyer feedback shouldn't exist on the current terms & system! But unfortunately it;s an unfair, meaningless & misleading part of Ebay. In disputes, Ebay will nearly always come down on the side of the buyer - even if the buyer lies & says the item arrived with a stain on it (really? it got a coffee mark in the post? on an unmarked item). Depending on what you are selling, use other selling sites as well - I use 2 others - but keep in mind no selling sites reaches as many buyers as E-bay. Never wrap an item ready to go, incase a winning bid doesn't pay. This happens too often. Good luck!

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

@lv-deals-direct wrote:

I'm not sure if ebay really adheres to limiting buyers who do not go through with sales.  I had one customer that bid on an item and did not pay.  Looking at their feedback they had a decent amount of items they purchased --about 30 - with 6 of those comments stating that they bid and did not pay. Could all six of those folks not had their site settings tweaked? -- and even if they did not --with all the ebay policies, procedures and algorithms why would they not catch that? --- or is that not important to them?  I reported it and when I checked the account another positive with negative comment was there

@lv-deals-direct

The thing is ...

When an Unpaid Item Dispute closes without payment, neither party can leave feedback (any feedback left before closing the dispute is automatically removed).

So ...

All of the seller's that have left "non payer" feedback did not open UPI cases. The buyer did not get a strike on their account.

If 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Didn't finish my thought ... The community disconnected me 😞

Recap ...

Successful Unpaid Item Disputes disallow feedback from both buyers and sellers.

Sellers that leave "non-payer" feedback have not opened Unpaid Item Disputes.

When a seller does not open unpaid item disputes, buyers do not get strikes.

If buyers don't get strikes, the Buyer Requirements setting is meaningless ... And eBay does not get notified about the buyer's "bad behaviour".

Ergo, sellers that leave "non payer" feedback are actually contributing to the problem.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Exactly!!!!!

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@lv-deals-direct wrote:

I'm not sure if ebay really adheres to limiting buyers who do not go through with sales.  I had one customer that bid on an item and did not pay.  Looking at their feedback they had a decent amount of items they purchased --about 30 - with 6 of those comments stating that they bid and did not pay. Could all six of those folks not had their site settings tweaked? -- and even if they did not --with all the ebay policies, procedures and algorithms why would they not catch that? --- or is that not important to them?  I reported it and when I checked the account another positive with negative comment was there

Sellers can limit those buyers by opening and closing Unpaid item disputes to give the buyer a strike and get their fees back.  Then the buyer won't be able to buy from most sellers who block those with two or more unpaid item strikes.

Beyond that, I believe the number of no pays before Ebay limits their buying privileges would be more than the number you mention.  I think they give more leeway than 6 or so transactions.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Yes, all buyers look the same~whether they are a prolific scammer or a very responsible buyer.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply