cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And people wonder where the buyers have gone...

Last week my friend, who is a huge Disney fan, purchased a set of Limited Edition theme park trading pins here on eBay.

She received them today... wrapped in toilet paper and shoved into a manila (not even padded) envelope.  Is it any wonder that buyers are leaving eBay?  That sort of thing is shameful and sellers who do that should be given the boot.  Don't wrap your purchases in TOILET PAPER, for crying out loud!  At least use paper towels or napkins or SOMETHING!  Take some pride in what you're doing and remember that there is another person on the other end who is going to be receiving whatever it is that you've shipped.  Put in a little effort!

Message 1 of 308
latest reply
307 REPLIES 307

Re: And people wonder where the buyers have gone...

Sometime ago I saw a study on people and how they dress when they ebay. The percentage of people that list in the nude or only in their undies was very high.

Reminds me of teapot man.

What if he sat the teapot in his lap while he was wrapping it up? 

And I thought I was the only one that washed their hands in a public restroom both before and after. Along with opening the door to leave with a paper towel or my pinkie finger.  

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 286 of 308
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Sometime ago I saw a study on people and how they dress when they ebay. The percentage of people that list in the nude or only in their undies was very high.

And I thought I was the only one that washed their hands in a public restroom both before and after. Along with opening the door to leave with a paper towel or my pinkie finger.  

And here I believed all those posts that said they were listing in their p.j.s!Smiley Surprised

OH, my, Teapot Man strikes again!

Message 287 of 308
latest reply

@autopartspuller wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@autopartspuller wrote:

@futurespast1113 wrote:

Good for you!  I fixed my leaky plumbing under my sink too!  Saved myself a $150.

My daughter's boyfriend is an auto mechanic and he said those YouTube How To videos should be banned because they are losing business, lol.

Pfft.  There is WAY more people that have no clue how to work on a car and would not even attempt to try now then there were before you-tube.  It's actually a little scary to me.

Cars have changed a lot over the years.  I remember my father, uncles, brother on Sundays under the cars fixing this and that.  Now everything is computerized.

Granted the engines are computer controlled but, unless you are talking about hybrid or electric cars, alot of it just has sensors connected to it and they are still repaired the same way.    Plus, most of the basics (lights, brakes, shocks, oil) are the same basic processes.  All things my dad required that I know before he let me get my license.  Those days are gone.

Well I certainly wasn't paying $200 to replace a dash light. So I say too, thank you youtube.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 288 of 308
latest reply

@city*satins wrote: 2. My mother held that it wasn't enough to wash your hands after you used the bathroom.  You had to wash them before.  She went so far as to say that if you had to choose (heaven forbid) between before vs after you should choose before.

Yep, I learned the same thing.  

Message 289 of 308
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@city*satins wrote: 2. My mother held that it wasn't enough to wash your hands after you used the bathroom.  You had to wash them before.  She went so far as to say that if you had to choose (heaven forbid) between before vs after you should choose before.

Yep, I learned the same thing.  

haha, been there done that, too. Then again, when it's a public bathroom, after washing my hands, there's the part where I'll pull my sleeve up over my hand so I can open the door without any bare skin touching the handle.  Works good in the colder weather anyway. If it's short sleeve weather then there's alwasys other means to resort to in order to escape without touching the dirtiest parts on the way out, LOL.

Message 290 of 308
latest reply

I carry paper towel squares for that purpose.  The paper towel touches the door, not my hand.  Then it is promptly discarded.

My purse is not designer.  But it is big and carries many of the comforts from home.

Message 291 of 308
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

And here I believed all those posts that said they were listing in their p.j.s!Smiley Surprised

OH, my, Teapot Man strikes again!

My point is people here think using clean toilet paper is a bad thing to do when the facts are buying preowned anything is not sanitary.  Even if it comes in a factory box, who handled that box? We’re they sick? Did they sneeze on your package? We live in a dirty, unsanitary world.

Now I agree it’s unprofessional to use things as packing that might make people mentally uncomfortable but if a seller is new or just someone cleaning out some stuff, I cut them some slack as long as the packaging is clean. Got an item packed in new sanitary pads once. I laughed about it. I wouldn’t do it but I found it creative.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 292 of 308
latest reply

haha, I've used paper towels, too, but only when I could grab one on the way out. Grab one, pull the door open with it, and then toss it into the waste can there. Only thing is, so many places only have blow driers now, so if I'm not in long sleeves, then it's time to grab the door way up high where hopefully no one else grabs it even though sometimes it's hard to get the darn door open without using the handle. Depends on th size of the crack. If all else fails, it's time to reach for the hand sanitizer. 🙂

That's a good idea, though, that you carry paper towels with you in your purse. They always come in handy. My pockets are usually too full of other things, though, to fit paper towels in them.

Message 293 of 308
latest reply

I have read that those blow dryer thingies are germ spreaders.  I avoid them.

Message 294 of 308
latest reply

Some of us have underllying chronic health conditions, so we do what we can to try and avoid getting sick.

Message 295 of 308
latest reply

Some day when I'm not at risk of taking a thread totally off topic I'll tell what happened at work one day when I complained that the 'pedal' on the toilet in one of the stalls wasn't functioning properly. 

Suffice it to say that a loud, semi-hysterical brouhaha erupted, as it was revealed that 50% of the women and 100% of the men used their foot to press the flusher, and 50% of the women and 0% of the men used their hand.

Those who used their hand were very very upset with those who used their foot.

Those who used their foot were, well....very unsympathetic  with those who were upset.

Uh oh...too late. I've pretty much told the entire story.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 296 of 308
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Same here.

I like what Sheldon said about them on The Big Bang Theory:

"Frankly it would be more hygienic if they just had a plague infested gibbon sneeze my hands dry. "

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 297 of 308
latest reply

And this is exactly why I only buy from a handful of trusted Korean and Japanese sellers overseas - I always receive my item in pristine condition and well-packed. I will not buy anything from an American seller anymore unless it's a book or new in box, because who knows what I'm going to get.

The most recent baffling experience I had involved a seller who shipped me perfume in a used Pringles container. I was amused upon removing the packing paper and seeing the Pringles can...less so upon popping open the cap and realizing the seller hadn't even cleaned out the can. The item was covered in salt and chip crumbs.

So yeah - this is why I'll only buy new from sellers I've dealt with before and trust. Doesn't matter if someone has 100% feedback as a seller, as it's such a gamble.
Message 298 of 308
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Same here.

I like what Sheldon said about them on The Big Bang Theory:

"Frankly it would be more hygienic if they just had a plague infested gibbon sneeze my hands dry. "

Major LOL!

Message 299 of 308
latest reply

@uzumakey wrote:
And this is exactly why I only buy from a handful of trusted Korean and Japanese sellers overseas - I always receive my item in pristine condition and well-packed. I will not buy anything from an American seller anymore unless it's a book or new in box, because who knows what I'm going to get.

That reminds me of something, actually... every single item I have purchased from Japan (which is in the thousands by now) has been carefully, meticulously packed.  Japanese sellers NEVER skimp out on the packaging.  They pack to make sure that you will receive your item in the same condition as they sent it.

Because of this, even if a US seller is offering the same thing, I'm far, far more likely to purchase from a Japanese seller because I know I won't have to worry about how it's packed.

Message 300 of 308
latest reply