cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Explanation For Slow Sales

For all of you wondering why their sales have fallen off the cliff you are not doing anything wrong. You are in the same position that 100’s of other sellers like myself are in and it is no fault of their own. This is entirely e-Bay’s fault and if your looking for an admission they won’t openly admit fault. They will continue to dance around the subject and never admit that they caused this. The main reason behind the slow sales is little to no visibility. E-Bay had a 10-year contract with Google for advertising that came to an end and e-Bay elected not to renew and no longer pay Google for advertising.  My decline started around September, 2016 and has gotten worse every month since. That is why the sales have fallen off a cliff short and simple. And instead of e-Bay being sympathetic to what has happened they have chosen to raise their rates again in May. E-Bay is going to continue to push sellers to do their own advertising and promoting their own e-Bay stores through their own social media.  e-Bay is also charging sellers a higher fee to get better visibility within their own site. This is GREED at it’s finest.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: An Explanation For Slow Sales

eBay shouldn't have to " push sellers to do their own advertising and promoting their own e-Bay stores through their own social media." Sellers should be doing that on their own.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

eBay shouldn't have to " push sellers to do their own advertising and promoting their own e-Bay stores through their own social media." Sellers should be doing that on their own.

What's anybody need ebay for if that's the case? Ebay needs to advertise and needs to get our items shown in google searches. 

If I'm going to promote, advertise, and make sure my junque is seen through other channels, I can just ditch ebay and keep the 14%

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

You are exactly right. I'm a very small seller but last year of July 2016, I made over $700.00 for that month. In Sept. of 2016, I dropped off the cliff also. This month of March, only 4 sales of around $40. I don't think it is Cassini, unless they (eBay) has reprogrammed it again since Aug. Sept. 2016. I just got off the phone with a friend and she told me that when she tried to go to my listings through using my ID, that it said that I had no listings available. I have around 60 listings active at this time. She said that her son had tried on his computer as well and he received the same message. I don't know what to do. Do you think if I called CS tomorrow, would it do any good?

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I have said this several times, but since I have been on ebay 19 years, the decline in online sales have gotten to the point there is no use going on - esp in my field of vintage stuff! We may have returned to the local antique shops for our sales- something I got out of in 1998! How times reverse every few years?

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I have been selling on E-b ay for well over a decade and up until 2012 I was making a great living at it. I noticed in 2012 that my sales stareted to decline slowly and it has continued year after year and the slow decline over time started picking up speed. In 2012 I would have considered a $1000 week a VERY BAD WEEK. THis week my sales are at $0.00   As my sales PLUMMET YEAR AFTER YEAR, I have had to LOWER PRICES by 200% and the  E-bay fees keep getting HGIHER AND HIGHER and I for one have HAD IT.  JUST RECENTLY They raised my store subscripion and reduced my top rated seller fee discounts from 20% off final value fees to 10%. There is NO LONGER ANY REASON for me to maintain my top rated seller discounts - I am no longer giving a 30 day warranty on USED projectors that e-BAY crammed down my throat TO QUALIFY FOR DISCOUNTS.  WHEN MY STORE SUBSCRIPTION IS DUE Oct 1St I am CLOSING MY STORE for good.  E-bay has turned into a scammers paradise. My retunrs have gone up considerably since E-bay pushed for a 30 dya return policy.  Why on earth would ANYONE RENT a Multi Media projector at a cost of $150 for a weekend when they can get one from my store for $99 Use it for a MONTH and return it all at my cost - FREE PROJECTOR RENTALS - COMPLIMENTS OF E-bay policy - March is the worst during March Madness games. I see so many people complining about SLUMPING SALES and E-bay stock is holding its own - that math just dosen't add up unless you factor in the RISING FEES on Sellers to maintain their stock prices on PLUMETTING SALES - That BUBBLE WILL BE BURSTING SOONER THEN LATER, 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I'm sorry your sales are down. Being tech challenged I had to see what a multi media projector was. With todays technology - screen in screen tvs ect. I wouldn't have need for one and I can buy brand new at Walmart for less than used. I'm sure they aren't the same quality but if it's omly being used for a couple of gatherings pricewould be key.

These days due to the boxes you get from the cable companies - each coming with it's own remote for programming - I see less use for a TV remote. Mine are stuck in table drawers as the one my cable company provides does it all.

Unfortunately with technology updates - alot of things become obsolete - it's like clothes or phoes - last years style isn't saught after by many - they want the newest and stylish that everyone else has today.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Here we go another ghost thread! Actually the last poster who responded to it's post was the only one visible until after I submitted my post.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

all I hear, is that the river has super slow shipping compared to ebay nowadays.. the river wants everybody to be a prime member

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@young4189  We don't do Social Media ... are we doomed?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Im not sure about doomed. But with it being non existent now it sure wont hurt.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

I think there are a myriad of reasons for slow sales. Some are short term as in IT issues. (Well short term if they find the bug).  Other changes implemented that cause some areas to fail, others to not. All in all, it's not one thing is hundreds of things.

I came back to eBay in September and right off the bat I was doing well. From being allowed $5000 in sales I am now at $135,000 allowed with 500 listings.  April was my disaster bringing in 1/4 of the monthly sales. May, I'm up 120%.

What caused April? I have no idea. What causes days of no visibility. I have no idea. What causes surges in sales. I have no idea.  With the size and scope of eBay....it rattles the brain.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply