cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing lack of seller protections regarding negative feedback

I'm sure there are several stories such as mine, but I thought I'd share and share what I am doing as a remedy. I sold a item that is a sensitive electrical test equipment. The buyer did not leave any feedback. Three weeks later, he contacts me that initially it was working fine and now he can't get it to read correctly (frequency counter). I included pictures of the item functioning properly on the ad. I told him that quite a bit can go on in 3 weeks and that even a small error on hooking up this equipment can cause it to fail. My ad clearly said no returns and he made no qualms that it was received as described. I refused to let him return the item. Of course he left negative feedback. I called EBay as I felt that I kept up my end as far as my selling responsibilities and the buyer did not receive the item as "not as described". EBay told me that the could not remove this negative feeback and I implored them as to why. They stated that feedback is "subjective" and that I could respond to it. I asked them what had happened to my subjectivity as a seller - why can't I leave negative feedback for this buyer? No comment from EBay on that one. So I am stuck with clearly unfair feedback from the buyer, which as everyone knows does make a difference to other potential buyers and we are graded by ebay with regards to our feedback. So, essentially EBay is allowing purely subjective ratings to be used as our report card with no regards to whether they are accurate or not and there is no remedy for this. Sounds clearly unfair to me. What I am doing now is selling all of my electronic items "as-is" regardless. I stipulate that I will not take returns for any reason. I continue to take pictures of the items in a functioning state (though this didn't seem to help before). I know that I am getting fewer interested buyers now as a result, but it seems to be the only remedy that I can think of.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Amazing lack of seller protections regarding negative feedback

You'll soon learn that selling an item "as is" does NOT prevent eBay's MBG from trumping your non-return clause. Not only that, you'll pay for the return shipping in a SNAD.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

Feedback sounds accurate as to what happened according to your explanation.........

Stuff can happen to the equipment and you don't cover anything about it after it is received in working order........ 

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

@rskron1 wrote:

I refused to let him return the item.  why can't I leave negative feedback for this buyer?

I understand that are unhappy about getting a negative opinion of the item you sold. Just curious as to what the buyer did who received an item that stopped working after 3 weeks that they should get a negative.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

Buyer making a unfair request and then when not answered to their satisfaction using feedback to try and disrupt sellers sales.....

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

But the buyer received an item that only lasted 3 weeks. They don't have the right to write a review ? They are already being punished by having to keep a broken item only lasting 3 weeks. The seller should punish this buyer even more by giving them a negative ?

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

They could have purchased a new unit for $160.00 that has a one year warranty,but nopers they go with the $50.00 used unit and think it should come with cradle to grave coverage.....

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

So you are of the opinion that anything purhased used on Ebay for a cheaper price than new doesn't have to last more than 3 weeks ? It's OK to loose $50 used since you didn't want to pay $160 new ?  Interesting.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

As a buyer seeing your feedback for the products you sell.  I am not going to look at 1-2 negs in the last 12mths.

I don't even bother to look at fb any more when I buy.  If someone has the product I need I will purchase the product.   It is a luck of the draw when you purchase.  Exp: I purchased a product the other the other day .   Seller had 1700+ feedback at least 25% was negs within the last 12mths ( I know that know because I just looked because I just left a +FB) 

Buyers saying the item did not ship for 4 days after payment was recieve and delivery was late.

As a buyer I am going to take my chance.  I order the item (same as some - fb was left)  Item arrived with in the expected delivery date eBay give me. 

You responded to the FB, let it go.  90% of buyers don't care what the FB is because everyone has their own opinion.    Give it 12mths the  FB will be gone.  I no longer let - FB bother me.  I explain my side and never worry about it again.

~ 😉

$$$ Always believe that you will succeed at whatever you do! $$$
Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Pretty much thats my opinion,but thats the problem with ebay folks think they should have cradle to grave coverage rather than what takes place in the real world. Try buying a used car knock the tranny out three weeks later and go back and claim you want some kind of refund...

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

So you had a bad experience and decided it was a good idea to break the rules? Leaving negatively worded feedback for a buyer is a selling violation. If your buyer reports you Ebay will not be happy.]

I'm not sure why some believe only other people should have to follow the rules?

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

What's truly amazing is how a seller who breaks the rules then complains of others doing the same.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

I think my opinion may vary from some of the other posters, though I certainly agree with their take on it.

If I were you, I would call back to the eBay CSR and just point out the following:

The negative should be removed for demanding something not contained in the listing. Namely a warranty. You do not provide a warranty. Neither does eBay support warranties. The item clearly worked when received as mentioned in messages. The item became damaged during use and buyer wanted to return it under a non existent warranty. When that was refused they left a negative wanting something not contained in the listing.

Not all CSRs will see it that way, but I would call back and keep it simple... Buyer demands something not contained in the listing... A warranty

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

@rskron1 wrote:

... What I am doing now is selling all of my electronic items "as-is" regardless. I stipulate that I will not take returns for any reason.....

Your REAL lucky, your buyer could have opend a SNAD claim in eBay and get a full refund with you paying return shipping. 

BTW, you terms are meaningless.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

But the buyer received an item that only lasted 3 weeks. They don't have the right to write a review ?....

Not on the product, that would be removable.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply