cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I closed Ebay? I’m so tired of NO SALES! What is happening???

We have been on Ebay for over 9 years, and of course like everyone else is mentioning it was great in the beginning - it was fun and exciting. I loved talking about my store and how well it was doing. Fast forward to now and it is nothing but frustrating and depressing. I never mention my store anymore because it is just way too embarrassing.

It has been going downhill here for a few years, but this year is the absolute worst it has ever been. I’m making less in 90 days what I used to make in 1 month just last year.

There is no way anyone on here can convince me that Ebay doesn’t control every aspect of my store and my ability to make sales. The patterns of sales leads me to believe I am only “on” at certain times and in certain states. Just as one example, which is statistically impossible - Thurs 1 sale at 3:54am (west coast) nothing for the rest of the day, next day Fri 1 sale at 3:55am (west coast) nothing for the rest of the day. And as others mentioned one good day, I can be assured a few dead days will follow. Clumped sales from one state or one time zone. Days of absolutely nothing - no sales, no feedback, no messages. Complain to Ebay about slow sales and miraculously they will suddenly come back to life for a few days, only to always return to miserable sales.

The most frustrating part is it seems no one gives a **bleep**. My store is completely failing and no one at Ebay could care less. I have worked really hard on my store, put in many, many hours to try to make it great. I take very good care of my customers. Ended old underperforming listings – revised titles, lowered prices, take all my own pictures, added all my item specifics, did promoted listings (which I don’t do anymore because it doesn’t work), marked down all my items, free shipping on a lot of the items … I could go on. Basically, I have jumped through every hoop they sent my way.

BUT STILL NO SALES! What am I paying for?

It’s coming into the Christmas buying season, we could always at least depend on this time of year to do well, but I’m so afraid that this year is going to be a total bust and then we’re done. I can't see paying for the monthly store fee if it continues to get worse and worse.

Message 1 of 436
latest reply
435 REPLIES 435

Re: Am I closed Ebay? I’m so tired of NO SALES! What is happening???

The one thing that I do not think is happening is eBay restricting sales on purpose...as in you make X amount in a given time frame and they cut you off.  That would be absolutely illogical.  If we make money, they make money and they are all about the money so I have a hard time that they would do this on purpose...maybe they do give some sellers preference because they are big sellers or because they use & pay for promoted listings, but to outright stop or restrict ones sales on purpose is highly illogical for anyone with half a brain.

What I am thinking is that the glitches that they take forever to fix, very poor implemented ideas such as GTC and a poorly and hastily rolled out MP may be the culprits.

...sooo frustrating...😖

Message 211 of 436
latest reply

Part of the problem for you is their algorithms. If you pay attention to your sales you will find that there are dead spots in the month like mine seem to be from the 4th to the 8th and then again around the 18th to the 22nd.  It's their way of getting all the sellers in front of people. It's just not working....

I also noticed, while looking for my listings, that "sponsored" items do not necessarily mean that you will get a nice spot on the first few pages. I've seen sponsored listings buried 10 deep so that's just a money waster.

Message 212 of 436
latest reply

@maot-7 

Are you saying that @monstertoybox dolls are expensive?($200.00)?   I have seen dolls go for 2K -5K around here and they are not antique dolls either...limited edition ones.  These doll collectors do not lose sleep over a $200.00 doll.

Oh wait...let me show you something...

Screenshot_2019-10-14 doll eBay.png

laughingSmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

There ya go!

How's about dropping the price of a car on a dolly???  There are some serious collectors around here.

Well, at least the two most expensive ones had free shipping...Smiley Very Happy

Message 213 of 436
latest reply

@hurryagain 

Mysterious case of the missing messages?? They must have been removed?

Message 214 of 436
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

@hurryagain 

Mysterious case of the missing messages?? They must have been removed?

Smiley Happy

Message 215 of 436
latest reply

@hurryagain wrote:

@maot-7 

Are you saying that @monstertoybox dolls are expensive?($200.00)?   I have seen dolls go for 2K -5K around here and they are not antique dolls either...limited edition ones.  These doll collectors do not lose sleep over a $200.00 doll.

Oh wait...let me show you something...

Screenshot_2019-10-14 doll eBay.png

laughingSmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

There ya go!

How's about dropping the price of a car on a dolly???  There are some serious collectors around here.

Well, at least the two most expensive ones had free shipping...Smiley Very Happy

Didn't say those people don't exist, course they do only said they're a rare clientele. Most people on eBay do not have money coming out their ears to throw away on dollies, frankly I think those people need help, but to each his own.

Again my point was not that they don't exist only that it's not your average eBayer so high-end items like that may not sell easily.

Message 216 of 436
latest reply

I did it again. Marked it as "solved". That "accept as solution" button it right over the kudos button. My hand slipped and ... ugh! I messaged the mod to see if they can unmark it, but now I'm just being a pain. Sorry! 

This post IS STILL NOT SOLVED! Slow sales still continue ...

Message 217 of 436
latest reply

I'm in the same boat - more like sinking ship.  Ebay throttles bandwidth so only certain people in certain areas of the country can see your items at any given time.  I call these "rolling black-outs."  They'll never publicly admit it but we all know the truth.  It really doesn't matter what you do or don't do if people can't see your items. 

How DARE you Ebay?  You're failing us!!

Message 218 of 436
latest reply

I find myself trying all sorts of key word strings just to 'try' and find certain items here now. As a seller it's a sales killer, but as a buyer it is ultra frustrating to know what I want to find is most likely on eBay, but eBay is going to chose what I get to see and I'll either never find it or waste tons of time trying to figure out how to find it. How does this help a buyer? I still don't understand this new and improved buyer experience, as a seller it stinks and as a buyer it's even stinkier.

I just want to sell my stuff and buy some other stuff. WHY IS THIS BECOMING A NEAR IMPOSSIBILITY???

I buy 'wants', not 'needs', and eBay does not know what I want. I do. Can they please make a button that turns OFF all promotional listings and AI, blackouts and all other whatever they do so I can search "My way with all possible results shown to me?"

I want the old Burger King idea of food service:

"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce
Special orders, don't upset us
All we ask is that you let us serve it your way
Have it your way"

🙂
Message 219 of 436
latest reply

Totally agree. Going to Etsy & Bonanza till things improve??!! Been selling for 20 years looks like is coming to an end.  Why??

Message 220 of 436
latest reply

@lovefindingtreasures2 wrote:
I find myself trying all sorts of key word strings just to 'try' and find certain items here now. As a seller it's a sales killer, but as a buyer it is ultra frustrating to know what I want to find is most likely on eBay, but eBay is going to chose what I get to see and I'll either never find it or waste tons of time trying to figure out how to find it. How does this help a buyer? I still don't understand this new and improved buyer experience, as a seller it stinks and as a buyer it's even stinkier.

I just want to sell my stuff and buy some other stuff. WHY IS THIS BECOMING A NEAR IMPOSSIBILITY???

I buy 'wants', not 'needs', and eBay does not know what I want. I do. Can they please make a button that turns OFF all promotional listings and AI, blackouts and all other whatever they do so I can search "My way with all possible results shown to me?"

I want the old Burger King idea of food service:

"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce
Special orders, don't upset us
All we ask is that you let us serve it your way
Have it your way"

🙂

I agree that would be a wonderful button to have! That would definitely improve the buyer experience. Letting the buyer choose what they want to search for themselves, what a concept! I'm all for getting rid of AI, I think it is a major problem here.

Message 221 of 436
latest reply

OP, I used to sell Marvel Legends when I did predominantly toys many years ago. There was a time when they were good money-makers, but once they started popping up on other sites at retail prices, that pretty much stopped. I don't keep up with the line much anymore now that I've moved away from toys, so I had to check and compare: I noticed your Marvel Legends are all more expensive than the same figures on The River, where you can get their free two-day delivery. 

I didn't check, but I recall when I was weening myself off of selling current toys, it was becoming more common to see eBay sellers clearly drop-shipping from the aforementioned site, often at only a slightly higher price. Not sure if that's still happening, but I know that helped flood the eBay market.

Point is, eBay algorithms and glitches can only explain so much. I was in the same position, and finally had to accept that my niche had more or less been flooded and killed off. I didn't have the capital or interest in the shrinking margins to hang in there. Have you considered exploring less easily-procured items? It's really hard to stand out with readily-available items, especially when faced with the monster that is That Other Site.

Message 222 of 436
latest reply

@lostweekendshop wrote:

OP, I used to sell Marvel Legends when I did predominantly toys many years ago. There was a time when they were good money-makers, but once they started popping up on other sites at retail prices, that pretty much stopped. I don't keep up with the line much anymore now that I've moved away from toys, so I had to check and compare: I noticed your Marvel Legends are all more expensive than the same figures on The River, where you can get their free two-day delivery. 

I didn't check, but I recall when I was weening myself off of selling current toys, it was becoming more common to see eBay sellers clearly drop-shipping from the aforementioned site, often at only a slightly higher price. Not sure if that's still happening, but I know that helped flood the eBay market.

Point is, eBay algorithms and glitches can only explain so much. I was in the same position, and finally had to accept that my niche had more or less been flooded and killed off. I didn't have the capital or interest in the shrinking margins to hang in there. Have you considered exploring less easily-procured items? It's really hard to stand out with readily-available items, especially when faced with the monster that is That Other Site.

While I’ll agree Amazon is some of the problem and that they have some of the items I have, but they don’t have all. And if anyone is a collector they know Amazon notoriously sends non-collectible items (smashed, dented, scratched), they do not care about packaging an item well. When I was seriously collecting I never bought from Amazon, only Ebay just because of that fact and I know serious collectors today still do that. Most do not care about spending a few extra dollars to get something nice.

Unless you are able to check everyone of my listings and say that my items are too expensive, I don’t think it’s fair to pick out a few things and say that. There’s plenty of stuff that I sell where I am lower than most sellers here, of course no one ever seems to mention that when they’re trying to prove their point.

And I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s very relevant to state that I find my same items selling on here for higher than my prices all the time (see message 79 and 127 and I have plenty more). Price is not the only issue with the slow sales on Ebay. It is the fact that there is definite sales manipulation. I won’t give anymore examples in this post, because I’m sure by now everyone is sick of hearing them, but there are a bunch if you just read through this post.

Have you considered exploring less easily-procured items?

Haha! Nope, the quicker I get off this site the better, as soon as my inventory just gets a little lower I’m out of here. I will not waste anymore of my life on this site. It’s worthless to do it. It’s frustrating, aggravating and a huge waste of time. Ebay does not want you to grow. Well maybe at first, but then they pull your plug and then you’ll be just like the rest of us asking what the ---- happened.

Message 223 of 436
latest reply

I've felt ebay was controlling a seller's ability to make consistent sales as far back as 2016.

At first I thought it was my inventory, maybe I didn't know what I was doing. You know, I've only been doing this since 2001 and have always had good success selling online until 3 years ago.

When I knew it was ebay and not me was when I started cross posting my items to mercari and selling them within 1 day, sometimes within a few hours! Those same items sat on ebay for months with little to no views, no offers, no activity on 50% markdowns, etc.

The only thing consistent on ebay is the high fees.

The store level I am at is a fraud because ebay is offering me NOTHING to put buyers in front of my items.

I'm in the process of cross posting all my items to Mercari and the vintage items to Etsy and then closing the door on ebay after 19 years. Just not worth it anymore and I don't have gifts and vacation vouchers to give to ebay managers to get them to take my account off of the blacklist.

Message 224 of 436
latest reply

@lovefindingtreasures2 wrote:
It's just so sad. Not knowing WHY your business is failing makes it impossible to save it.

eBay tells us all these wonderful things to do to make sales but it's smoke and mirrors.

When my items sell just fine (and they do) on other platforms, it IS eBay that has a problem.

Worst, they are not forthcoming with any relevant information for those of us in the 'no sales' basement with the lights off. We have no idea HOW to salvage our business's here, and I swear I think that is what they want. For the bulk of us to close shop and get off their overloaded platform of too many sellers and not enough buyers.

I just want some transparency, but of course, the sellers will be the last to know, probably when eBay announces they sold out to Alibaba or similar.

This is intentional. Do not think otherwise. I don't have any sales either and won't be sinking anymore energy into this pathetic site. I use far less effort and get sales on other platforms. 

Message 225 of 436
latest reply