Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I Being Scammed?

Screenshot_20240204_015710_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_015739_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_015812_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_015836_Chrome.jpg

Should I confront them now, or should I wait until the buyer starts a return?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Am I Being Scammed?

@pls-consignments 

Sad ,  it happened to another seller.  This is a norm here.

"she said her husband took out the trash before they left for their trip"

It clearly shows her intentions to never return it.  It seems like this buyer knows what she's doing.

"took out the trash and went on a trip"

It simply means " Oh well the waste people took the trash meanwhile and now the return that should have been sent back to you is  now in an irretrievable pile of  garbage.

I don't think she will take the Ebay MBG route, because she knows she can't return it or don't want to return it. If she take MBG route , Ebay most likely side with her. She might try to send you empty box , something else , maybe junk, send it to someone else address .Even if she lose through MBG , she can easily go through chargeback, her next definite step.

However,  if she has done her homework which most of the scammers here do before playing their game , she would go through the chargeback route.

Wise scammers play these tricks  after 4 months, when the tracking becomes obsolete, even on global package tracking website, since USPS mostly keep tracking information upto 3 months.

Paypal allows chargeback upto 180 days, few banks upto 1 year.

INAD /SNAD chargeback most probably, since they are always very easy to win.

If chargeback is filed, make sure you include shipping tracking number no matter what , include pictures of item sent and the one she claimed  for pointing out differences between item sent vs claimed. At this point if you lose , you have to appeal and deal with Ebay.

Hope this was not an expensive item, if you still have few on your store, make sure to take them down before someone else plays this trick with you. Goodluck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Am I Being Scammed?

Wait and see what the buyer does

Could be a INAD or a CC chargeback, hard to say

Just wait and let the buyer make the first move , if they do 

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

@pls-consignments wrote:

I wouldn't go "confronting" anyone at this point. I agree that the photos don't definitively show the item you shipped, although wrinkles in the box do show crushing damage, and, in general, I'm having a hard time imagining that the buyer already had a broken example of the very same item.

Maybe you can ask them for a right-side rear view that would show at least some of the triangular hole as well as that very large, very distinctive rusty-red blotch in the white spot that's most visible in your listing photo #6.

That aside, if they file a Not As Described claim due to shipping damage, it's up to you as to whether you want the damaged item back. I'm sure that if you ask for it to be sent back first, before refunding, you will indeed receive the broken example showing in the photos. You'll have to refund at that point, though you will at least have made the scam swapper (if it does turn out to be a different example) work for their free replacement.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

@a_c_green wrote:

@pls-consignments wrote:

Maybe you can ask them for a right-side rear view that would show at least some of the triangular hole as well as that very large, very distinctive rusty-red blotch in the white spot that's most visible in your listing photo #6.

I did ask for additional photos of the breakage. This was the buyer's response...

"Morning, I sent all the photos I took. I believe it is clear that the hippo is broken. In the last photo, there are pieces of the broken hippo mouth in my hand.
There are photos of both sides of the box and you can see the top. The package didn’t look damaged before opening.
We are out of town for 10 days meeting family for my Dad’s 97th birthday. My husband took the trash out before we left so I won’t be able to take more photos when we get back...."

I feel her resistance is starting to confirm my suspicion.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

From my seat, they don't appear to be the same item.  But I don't know if there is anything you can do about it.  Ebay tends to side on the buyer far more easily than the seller, even when there is proof.

I can clearly see the difference in the photo.  More likely, they are trying to replace one that broke and want to send you back the broken one.  But to confront them probably wouldn't be smart.  I would be more inclined to contact Ebay directly and provide the same evidence before doing anything.

I take pictures of everything I ship, as its shipped, and even message that to the buyer.  So far, it has been received positively.  But that doesn't mean that I won't eventually hit a buyer that will try something shady.

I would like to think that having  a thorough listing, excellent documentation of the item would help, but after reading so many threads about people that lost out to a shady buyer, I doubt any of those things would help me much.

Still, good luck. 

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

Personally their resistance sounds more Iike annoyance that you are questioning them so much over a low dollar item. Their communication doesn’t sound to me like a scammer. I’d be reluctant to confront anyone over this, especially when the lighting and different photo angles can be difficult to compare. 

How would you confront someone over this?

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

Don't confront

Politely ask them to return 

Never ends well when getting attitude with a buyer 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

especially when the lighting and different photo angles can be difficult to compare.

I don't see how you don't see the differences clear as day.  I certainly can.  I have no doubt the item is different based on the photos provided.

But if it is a low cost item, not sure there is going to be much you can do about it, but eat it, learn that some buyers are a holes and move on.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

@fern*wood wrote:

Personally their resistance sounds more Iike annoyance that you are questioning them so much over a low dollar item. Their communication doesn’t sound to me like a scammer. I’d be reluctant to confront anyone over this, especially when the lighting and different photo angles can be difficult to compare. 

How would you confront someone over this?

Really? You think holding two broken pieces in their hand while showing a suddenly "unbroken" rear after showing it broken is a "lighting" issue? To me, their effort to disguise the truth is clear. Whether or not it's a low value item is not the point. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

And how is being anything but courteous going to help? 

Is eBay going to just accept that the seller is correct?

Really there is never a time to be a jerk to a buyer even if they are wrong 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

So how do you plan on confronting them? 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

@pls-consignments 

I'll be the oddball here, as I think the pictures are of the same hippo. I see the glaze marks in your photos, too... imagine them at the angle photographed.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

@pls-consignments wrote:

We are out of town for 10 days meeting family for my Dad’s 97th birthday. My husband took the trash out before we left so I won’t be able to take more photos when we get back...."

To me, the paint spatter on your listing and her broken photos looks vastly different. I'd be suspicious of buyer pulling a swap.

Because she said they threw the item out, if she files a SNAD return you can try to use her inability to return anything to appeal to eBay.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

as I think the pictures are of the same hippo.

You need to look at the last photo where they are holding the hippo with the broken pieces.  The rear no longer has a broken triangle out of it.

And I don't see the two bubble defects on the first "broken" image, nor do the spot's paint patterns match.

But again.  Good luck proving it, and getting anything done about it.  Confronting them about it will not work.  As I said, Ebay tends to side with the buyer, even if you are right and they are pulling one on you.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

Always ask them to start a return through eBay, end of story and once you receive your item back, you'll know... Usually, if it's a scam, they drop it once asked to return it or will ask for a partial at which point you again ask them to start a return.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply