Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All good things come 2 an end

Prediction: sellers mass exodus 2020

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: All good things come 2 an end

ebay will still always have the china sellers which is a big part of their business anyways.

Message 121 of 135
latest reply

@elizavellaartdesigns wrote:

ebay will still always have the china sellers which is a big part of their business anyways.

The China sellers sell, but they do not buy on Ebay.

The smaller/medium US sellers had a solid strong buying power on Ebay, it was easy and natural to shop on Ebay with the $$$ you made selling on Ebay, the venue benefited twice as much and we were all happy.

those sellers were the founders and the bread and butter of the venue yet many of them decided to move on,

and as a result, the venue is in a decline,  while many of the other selling venues (some established due to frustration from Ebay) report increased profits and success in general.

Message 122 of 135
latest reply

You seem like a user well-versed and experienced in all things eBay. I haven't sold anything here for years. I was a power seller for a few short months and do maintain a 100% feedback. I will be out of work in the next few days and was thinking about getting back in and selling a couple of high margin products in small quantities. Has it become more hassle than it's worth? The new tax requirements...... I am totally ignorant about all that. Since I am more a "Garage Sale" seller without a business or store, should I just forget about using eBay as a platform? I would truly appreciate any guidance or sharing of the current eBay selling experience. Thank you for taking the time to read this and any insights you might wish to share. ~ Bob5944

Message 123 of 135
latest reply

Hi Welcome, take few minutes/hours and read the posts the last 4-5 pages on this board and the last 2 pages on the payment board and you will get some idea about the current situation,
especially if you intend on selling high margin products.

Good Luck!
Message 124 of 135
latest reply

"The sky is falling ... as a matter of fact it's been falling for that past 37 years ... it will continue to fall through 2048 ... however, it is not predicted to fall all the way so we'll still be able to walk around ..."

Except perhaps for a few really tall guys.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 125 of 135
latest reply

Thank you for help. Tried that. My iPad is so full there is not enough room to download scan disc app,(I think that has to be done?)  especially after downloading the new browsers. Working on deleting all photos I don’t absolutely need. Thanks again. I’m still trying!! Have had contact with others with the issue. Think new browser might be it.(or not!!)

Message 126 of 135
latest reply

I wanted to again thank you for your help.

Basically, I deleted most of my photos(I was trying not to)

Cleared cache, cookies, passwords & many bookmarks to free up space.

Updated everything.

Now it works, but I have lost my photos.

Was vey strange, after restarting computer it began to reload all the deleted photos, thousands. 

I was able to delete again without any bad affects. (Couldn't keep any though)

Thanks again.

Message 127 of 135
latest reply

Which IPad and IOS are you using? 

I finally had to buy a new(er) IPad as the one I had would not support a new enough IOS to get a working version of the EBay app.  If your IOS is older you may not be able to download a new enough version of the app or any of the browsers to make things work.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 128 of 135
latest reply

i 100% agree with you but the problem is China sellers are selling here pretending to be US sellers. Because of this I dont buy here much anymore cause i would rather support US sellers. I have noticed alot of items will say they are US sellers but when I click on the sellers feedback it shows they are in China under the user ID. So basically Chinese sellers are getting sales that are meant to go to US sellers unfortunately 😞

Message 129 of 135
latest reply

Yeah, I was looking the other day for Shimano bicycle groupset, filtered to "US only", received a search result for a seller in Oregon, when I looked deeper to check his feedback, he "suddenly" moved to Taiwan...

Message 130 of 135
latest reply

I don't know which sellers will be first in this mass exodus the OP refers to, but it is not the OP, they still have 43 listings.

Message 131 of 135
latest reply

@flyingmvp wrote:

Yeah, I was looking the other day for Shimano bicycle groupset, filtered to "US only", received a search result for a seller in Oregon, when I looked deeper to check his feedback, he "suddenly" moved to Taiwan...

Sellers are required to have the location in the listing to be accurate to the location where the item is shipping FROM, not where the seller is as the two are not always the same.

So that means that the bike product will ship from Oregon or it should mean that.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=4244

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 132 of 135
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@flyingmvp wrote:

Sellers are required to have the location in the listing to be accurate to the location where the item is shipping FROM, not where the seller is as the two are not always the same.

So that means that the bike product will ship from Oregon or it should mean that.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=4244

Yes of course,
by filtering "US only" I am trying  to make sure that the Receiving Party will be a US seller.

Message 133 of 135
latest reply

@flyingmvp wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@flyingmvp wrote:

Yes of course,
by filtering "US only" I am trying  to make sure that the Receiving Party will be a US seller.

The filter has never worked that way.  It is for Item location.  You will need to lobby Ebay for another filter to allow you to filter out international seller with US ship from addresses or something like that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 134 of 135
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Then who took over the "king of auctions"?

IMHO that has died off dramatically because most buyers don't want to shop that way anymore.  They want to go find what they need or desire and be done with it.  For me, auctions died off never to recover in 2015/2016.  I know some categories still do well with auctions, but most don't.

That's what a lot of people don't seem to get-- it's not just eBay, auctions are dying in general.  I do a lot of buying on Yahoo!Japan Auctions, and these days, just like eBay, the majority of listings there are either Buy It Now or auctions with a Buy It Now price.  No one wants to wait for a week to find out if they're won a common, everyday item.  A rare collectible is one thing, but otherwise, people want to make their purchase then and there.

Yes indeed.  Yet it somehow ends up being the fault of Ebay, when it has a great deal to do with buyer preferences.  If auctions were as hot of an item as some believe they would be if Ebay did something about it, then other sites similar to Ebay would have an auction option, but they don't.  There is a reason for that.

That's the key, though. It's pretty much always been that way, too. What changed wasn't auctions- what changed was eBay. eBay did superbly well as a collectibles auction platform. eBay Express, on the other hand, was a disaster that eBay failed to learn anything from. Instead of learning their lesson, they took all of the Express fail and jammed it down our throats on eBay.com. 

To justify it, THAT was when eBay started preaching the "nobody likes auctions, nobody likes to wait" fake news, while all of us who were successful sellers and big buyers on this site were scratching our heads over that because we couldn't list or bid on auctions fast enough.

Anyone who thinks auctions are "dead" is looking at the wrong examples. Check out shopgoodwill, for example. They are performing just like eBay USED to perform.

The eBay Express debacle happened because once having launched it, the then site admin didn't seem to know what to do with it, so they just let it languish. Rather than the idea failing, the executors failed the idea. There was nothing wrong with eBay Express - I used it myself - it was simply poorly executed. 

Maybe it's what I look for, but most of Shopgoodwill's auctions are the same stuff that would auction well here - not the stuff you can get anywhere.  The stores that participate in Shopgoodwill select their items specifically for the site - they don't bother with standard stuff like Xhiliration shirts or used Dockers. Most of the auction failures here are the attempts to auction off pretty much bog standard items with no curation at all. 

ETA: Arrrghhh! Those authentication failures!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 135 of 135
latest reply