cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 20 years ebay slaps a $5000 limit on my selling account

I go to relist today and a pop up notice says ive reached my 5000$ listing limit-which is not 5000 in sales but the total of auction starting prices!!! I understand ebay does a lot of dumb things on the interface but this actually directly destroys their bottom line.Does anyone there know how to do basic math.A bunch of idiots.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: After 20 years ebay slaps a $5000 limit on my selling account

You can have some of mine.  Ebay has me at a 2 Billion dollar limit. Ha! no seriously!limit.png

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

@reallyhardtofind wrote:

Yes, he was happy ebay protected him so much that he sold all his items on other platforms.😂

He didn't even try to find out why or fix his account.  So clearly selling here wasn't a high priority to him.  While site security may not be important to some, it is very important to many of us.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

That's great. I'm at a million. What increments did they use to go from $1M to $2B? Meanwhile, I'm sure if we sold something for $1,000 it would be flagged and held.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

I think my increase had to do with using webinterpret.  This is a website that translates your items and lists them to all eBay international sites.  10 relists of each of my same listing listed across all sites including international shipping costs put me over a million dollars up for sale(even though I only had about $50,000 of items for sale).  My limit was 1 million at that time.  I called eBay saying I needed more because of this this third party app and they raised it to infinity.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

You have to prove to ebay that you can post stuff for sale, and deliver.  I had about 25K limit for several years.  Right about now, I have about 18K for sale.  But my selling limit is 105k.  I have sold about 25K per year, for several years.  Wish you the best in your selling journey.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Why is there any limit on any established,proven seller?

Why would a selling platform want to put a limit on selling?Its beyond stupid but thats ebay.Many free platforms that take away ebays business but thats how ebay likes it!!!

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

I have to reiterate,this is not a limit on how much i can sell per month,but rather how much in dollar value i can list per month!!!

How in gods name do you come up with a rule so arcane,dumb and self-defeating as that?

This is some real Soviet Union style thinking.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@vanrandy wrote:

Why is there any limit on any established,proven seller?

Why would a selling platform want to put a limit on selling?Its beyond stupid but thats ebay.Many free platforms that take away ebays business but thats how ebay likes it!!!

We all understand, you do not agree with the Ebay policy.   But that doesn't matter, the policy exists and you do have to deal with it.  Have you taken the time to contact Ebay and ask them to raise you selling limit?  If you plan is to just wait and have it get raised naturally, it may take a long time to get it up to the limit you prefer.

It has been explained why Ebay does this or at least some of the reasons.  Again clearly you don't agree with them.  That again doesn't mean they don't matter, it only means you don't like the reasons.

I sell on other sites too and I've had to deal with limits on at least one of the sites.  Not sure if it has been all of them as I've been selling for a long time.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 23 of 30
latest reply

THIS!  eBay DOES NOT GET IT. 

Sellers WILL simply sell their stuff on other channels.  For every 1 msg here there are probably 10,000 sellers who simply sold some where else when told they had a $10 limit.

Amazon ... PLEASE SELL AND WE'LL HAPPILY TAKE OUR CUT

Facebook - Please sell with us FOR FREE

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@vanrandy ,

Here is a good reason why. I had an account with a high limit and I stopped selling on eBay because in day time job it can be feast or famine. At the time I started working 7 days a week because the getting was so good and I wanted to take advantage before things changed. 

This was in 2012. One day I checked my email and I got all of these email from eBay that I had sold a bunch of items. I go this can't be, since I haven't listed anything on eBay for over a year. I logged into my ebay account and noticed someone hijacked it and listed hundreds of thousand of dollars of expensive high end purses. Many of them sold. It was big mess to cleanup. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

OLD THREAD

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

Ebay doesn't know what you are capable of handling per month until you prove yourself by getting close to it.  My account is a couple decades old at this point, but it sure didn't have a quarter million dollar limit that whole time. I am pretty sure I was still at the $5K limit when I started selling full time. They quickly raised it.

There are many circumstances and time having used eBay is of little regard in the real world.  A person might come on rather desperate for money, use they're own account and disappear with the money.  Make claim of being hacked when in fact no hack occurs, its a planned event to grab quick cash.  Any number of things CAN and DO happen and just like most folks don't drive crazy, restrictions exist for all because of the handfuls who do.

There is also an actual card processor/merchant account provider behind the pay wall now.  Clearly that provider is many ways is mimicking merchant accounts.  This can include velocity limits, payout holds and much more.  PayPal was not the same type operation and PayPal was cited many a time for things like being used for money laundering and more.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@jkling17 wrote:

THIS!  eBay DOES NOT GET IT. 

Sellers WILL simply sell their stuff on other channels.  For every 1 msg here there are probably 10,000 sellers who simply sold some where else when told they had a $10 limit.

Amazon ... PLEASE SELL AND WE'LL HAPPILY TAKE OUR CUT

Facebook - Please sell with us FOR FREE

On fakebook YOU are the product.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

You would think they would not put any limits on , because  the more you sell, the more they make. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply