cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on listing parts and pieces? (Games)

What are the specific rules on selling parts and pieces for game?

For example if I have hundreds of Scrabble pieces (not the game in question but an easy example) am I allowed to just take a picture of all the pieces, set quantity high, charge X per letter, and simply have them message me for letter selection?

I know about variation listings as well as setting quantity, but for some games there are so many variants and the pieces are so inexpensive that trying to do any sort of complex listing simply isn't worth it.

If I can't use messaging to allow people to pick their pieces I'd have to simply lot the whole pile but that is not as preferable.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

No, you can't have them message you for selection, according to the rules.  Your listing is meant to show exactly what they will receive.  Personally, I'd just lot those up like you mentioned and sell them to whoever wants everything in a particular lot you create (maybe make full sets if you can of the original Scrabble tiles, to use your example, then lot up any leftovers and just show what is there so people know what to expect).

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ok im glad I asked.  I found several listings doing it the way I suggested and was about to follow suit.

Very annoying though, I really wish I could sell individually without the listing nightmare.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Actually, would this work:

Take picture of the pile of X pieces (say, 131) all slightly different (think Scrabble).

Set quantity to 131.

Listing clearly states you will get one random piece from pile unless you message me in advance, in which case I will give them the one they ask for.

Does this bring me into line with policy, since I'd be notifying them it's random?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No, it won't be in line with policy exactly, but you could possibly get away with it.  It's somewhat risky, but certainly other sellers do it.  Random or grab bag listings are technically not allowed, though they're somewhat common because I imagine enforcement is difficult.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Long long ago, I switched from auctions to fixed price listings.  Why?

Because a lot of buyers want to find, select, pay and sit back and wait for delivery.  They don't need interaction with the seller.  They seek instant gratification.

Using your example, if I had a lot of tiles, I wouldn't do a batch of 131.  I would do one for vowels, one for lower scoring consonants, and one with the high scoring consonants.   

Message 6 of 6
latest reply