cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add recommended item specifics is a MESS

Is there ANY plan to fix this whole trainwreck?

I am trying SO HARD to add these specifics, yet it's borderline impossible when every other item I "update" does not reflect those updates. It's always something and it's getting on my last nerve. 90% of my 320+ listings that "need item specifics" do not even need them.

Why does every single item need a "character" or any number of other specifics that have nothing to do with them? All this whole debacle is doing is making unneeded work for us and serves no purpose other than to annoy us.

My sales have tanked this last week and i have to wonder if eBay is somehow "punishing" me for not having all of the "suggested" specifics. 

At this point, I am pretty sure I speak for a lot of us sellers when I say CAN WE NOT? Just let us list our items and let us sell them without badgering us constantly about the most useless things possible.

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Add recommended item specifics is a MESS

Don't feel to bad, I've got 25,000 items listed, only 17k of them are asking for recommended item specifics. Luckily for me, my items are automotive related, so when my picture shows an engine, its pretty self explanatory where its located etc etc. 

Message 46 of 123
latest reply

Some item specifics are helpful, while other are not.

I sell comics so my favorite “feature” of item specifics is “character” . I call it a feature since that’s what we call annoying software options that don’t work.

Whenever  I try to put in the accurate character information it will only allow me to use Batman or Spider-man pretty much. Which defeats the whole purpose of doing this, because those are two of the bigger named comic characters. So ultimately it does nothing to help users weed down the option to what they might actually be looking for. Like Harley Quinn or Venom just as examples. If everything is Batman and spider-man regardless of what character is actually the reason why someone might be looking for a specific comic, it does absolutely no good. Most Batman comics have Batman in the title, but I can safely guarantee that nobody on earth is looking for Batman Adventurers #12 because of Batman, or Amazing Spider-man #300 because of spider-man.

I think what would be truly helpful if for eBay to stop trying to be helpful, because it almost always ends up being more agony than it’s worth.

Message 47 of 123
latest reply

Just try doing ANY of this on an iPad! I kind of envy all of you who can just hit a “don’t show me this again”button. I have no option to do that, along with about 50 other things I can’t do. Anybody else trying this without a computer?

Message 48 of 123
latest reply

Doesn't work.  I have checked it & a week later the item shows up with "Add Recommended Item Specifics"  They are always ones that are not applicable-like "character,"  "Compression" for something without compression, or repetitive ones, etc.  It also removes stuff I entered.  These are not the required ones, but still I get the notifications.  Then I get emails telling me that in order for my items to sell I need to put in these specifics. 

Message 49 of 123
latest reply

Yep not being able to relist items individually or in bulk because eBay decided to add specifics that are already addressed in my listing text and were never required/available is ridiculous. I recommend to anyone relisting or creating a new listing is to at the same time list the item on Poshmark, Depop, etc. As long as eBay is screwing with your listing and wasting your time might as well give another platform the chance to generate a sale for you.

Message 50 of 123
latest reply

Here's the one that really grinds my gears - I list a fair amount of clothing.  There are categories for listing clothing (like anything else on ebay).  Say I am listing a skirt.  I choose category Clothing->Women's Clothing->Skirts.  I then have to specify a Department in the listing, ie Men's or Women's. 

What is the point of this when the category clearly shows that it is listed as an item of women's clothing??????? 

SUCH a giant waste of time IMO.  The umpteen item specifics on everything have just gotten completely out of control when so many of them do not apply and/or are completely subjective. 

Message 51 of 123
latest reply

What I don't get is that every item specific that is required is already in the title of the item.  Every single one of them, Artist, title, and CD(format) is always in every listing title but yet I need to enter it in the specifics.

Message 52 of 123
latest reply

I added 4 of the 5 it said I needed and ticked Do not show me this again but the 5 still show as needed.

Absolutely fed up of this,  Do they not listen to people.

Message 53 of 123
latest reply

I HATE IT... and it spaces our auctions so far apart.  We should not have to do that, just the important things. I actually DREAD NOW putting on auctions. It is so slow and I am sooooo crabby ~ Poor hubby, he gets the Brunt of it. And HATE THE NEW LAYOUT.  Active auctions I want by date, not by BIN, etc. I sure really really miss the CLASSIC VIEW!!!!  I think I'll sell for another year and quit... it is way too hard and confusing now. I am really trying to adapt but feel like kicking the cat sometimes (haha... kidding, my cats are my kids)!!

Message 54 of 123
latest reply

Oh Lord Above, Help all of us little tiny sellers on this nightmare of a platform.  You know we try God, but this may just put many of us over the edge.  Please instill some brains in the people that came up with this abomination of a plan.  It is truly not working and needs to be rescinded ASAP.  Many of us make out living doing this.  It is not an 8hour/5 day a week job.  Lord, send us patience.  Amen 🙄

Message 55 of 123
latest reply

It doesn't work. At least, that is my experience. 
I have very few items, maybe 50/ 60 generally, so I know when they have asked for IS before.
It is such a waste of time 
So much so that here I am, looking to see if anyone else is as bothered as I am.
A resounding YES!

Message 56 of 123
latest reply

Try doing them for something eBay doesn't understand.  A book that isn't for reading??  That's not in our database.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 57 of 123
latest reply

Horrible.. Ebay continues to screw up a good plan. I can well remember back to 1998 when it all started.. LOL 

Message 58 of 123
latest reply

So true.  I add and add, but additions don't save.  I'm so tired of doing this over and over!

Message 59 of 123
latest reply

@cab6431 wrote:

So true.  I add and add, but additions don't save.  I'm so tired of doing this over and over!

They do mostly kinda sometime save. The ones you update just get moved to the end of the line when they add another new and exciting IS or remove/rename one that was there previously. IS's are basically a  deja vu experiment in eBay mind control!!! 🙈🙉🙊

To that I quote the following: "The mind is the first thing to go. The other thing I forget."

-Lotz

Message 60 of 123
latest reply