cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add recommended item specifics is a MESS

Is there ANY plan to fix this whole trainwreck?

I am trying SO HARD to add these specifics, yet it's borderline impossible when every other item I "update" does not reflect those updates. It's always something and it's getting on my last nerve. 90% of my 320+ listings that "need item specifics" do not even need them.

Why does every single item need a "character" or any number of other specifics that have nothing to do with them? All this whole debacle is doing is making unneeded work for us and serves no purpose other than to annoy us.

My sales have tanked this last week and i have to wonder if eBay is somehow "punishing" me for not having all of the "suggested" specifics. 

At this point, I am pretty sure I speak for a lot of us sellers when I say CAN WE NOT? Just let us list our items and let us sell them without badgering us constantly about the most useless things possible.

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

A couple of things.........  the required updates aren't due until Feb. , so I highly doubt any repercussions are being applied if they aren't done yet. 

Be sure you are working only on the "required" updates..........the recommendations are NOT required....

Ebay has said if the IS doesn't apply to your item, skip it......i.e. character........but again, that's a recommended requirement as far as I've seen.......it's not REQUIRED....

Message 2 of 123
latest reply

Well said!

Message 3 of 123
latest reply

On the recommended items there is a box you can check off to not show the recommended items again

Message 4 of 123
latest reply

Seems many of the required elements were inserted and then deleted by Ebay. I put new listings on filling in all necessary info and within an hour I get a notice to update and my filled in info is missing.

Message 5 of 123
latest reply

Well Said. It just a lot of more work that is useless.  If you remember awhile back ebay started messing with the item specifics and it was a disaster.  All of us who sell clothing spent hours and hours correcting the mess.  I would love to know who comes up with these ideas to justify their jobs.  At least try to get it right.

Message 6 of 123
latest reply

@oaklandmaryland wrote:

Seems many of the required elements were inserted and then deleted by Ebay. I put new listings on filling in all necessary info and within an hour I get a notice to update and my filled in info is missing.

I've never had that happen.......so can't guess what's going on there......  I have inadvertently forgotten to hit the save/apply or whatever the button is.....but realized that almost instantly.......

Message 7 of 123
latest reply

It's sure looks like a mess, but we should all look on the bright side,

Now that all sellers are required to volunteer their time and work for the venue and build their new and very specific and improved items catalog (for free),  the never ending update requirements might disappear!

It seems that sales have suddenly tanked for many sellers in the past few weeks, maybe the venue has changed, fixed or currently testing something.

Message 8 of 123
latest reply

I have been putting Does Not Apply to the character specific. Some of them are overkill! I think they should have an option especially with vintage items to have an option that says "unknown". My sales have been bad too.

On top of that I made a logo for my store, it won't upload and eBay is telling me it is a tech issue and haven't fixed it in the last two weeks. Seems like things are a mess right now. Hopefully will get better!

Message 9 of 123
latest reply

Why are we required to keep updating, changing, altering and work over repeatedly on our own listings?

Message 10 of 123
latest reply

it's as I said every time this is brought up, ebay employees who are responsible for adding these item specifics need to learn first about items they are requiring the specifics for... obviously if an item is not related to any way shape or form to a character then then item specific just simply shouldn't even be in the fields at all... and it's not limited to character fields, there are many fields that are N/A and have no business being there at all. As usual ebay doesn't take into consideration actual items, they get an idea for one specific item and then go on a rampage changing required fields to be included in all items. It's absurd, a complete waste of time on both sellers and buyers part, and only about 60% (or less depending on the item in question) have reasonable or applicable fields. Just do what I and everyone else does for the fields they say you need that have no reason being there, check the box "don't notify me for future requirements" 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 11 of 123
latest reply

I think there may be indirect penalties for not completing these right away. For instance, if all things are equal but Joe Blow filled in all of his item specifics, perhaps his item is shown more across eBay and Google, and mine is pushed down. I have 100's of costume jewelry listings, the required items for me are ' main stone ' and ' secondary stone '. There is no ' stone ', which is why I didn't fill it in to begin with. I copy and paste NONE in to the box and that is supposed to make all the difference.  As for ' character family ', they really blew it with this one.

Message 12 of 123
latest reply

I so agree . It has become such a waste of time 

Message 13 of 123
latest reply

I have checked the button twice and the "add recommended" comes back again. Ug!

Message 14 of 123
latest reply

Wow.

Thought it was just me.

I believe , I was told by one of E Bay { staff } In the est. 20 calls this month I made.

That soon all them item specifics will need filled in.

Before you can list an item.

I believe Train wreck is correct.

How I remember when E Bay was fun.

Its a mess now. And the rate its going.

Will not get better.  Sorry to say.

Message 15 of 123
latest reply