cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account restricted: Medical Devices Policy; eBay customer service acknowledges no policy violation

My account has been repeatedly restricted because certain listings "didn't follow the eBay Medical devices policy". However, these items are laparoscope obturators and other commonly listed reusable surgical instruments. They are not Rx only prescription-required items, implants, or anything else listed in the official eBay medical devices policy... What recourse do I have???!!!

When I first appealed to customer service, they agreed that the item could be appealed and that my account would likely be restored within 72hrs (longer than the restriction itself, and I never heard back anyway). Today, with 3+ listings being removed, customer service chat admitted that even though the listings were not in violation of the eBay policy, I was still having my account restricted because:  "We have reviewed your listings and we understand that you have listed surgical instruments that are used in medical procedures. We understand that this instruments needs to be operated by trained and certified medical professionals and since on the platform we are unable to identity if the person the purchasing the instrument is a trained medical professional we do not allow the listing of such surgical instruments."

How on earth can I elevate this to a competent eBay employee? I feel like I'm being targeted by a competitor who is reporting my listings, or by a rogue bot... either way, I don't understand why customer service won't fix it, and then they have the gall to make-up the fake policy that instruments which require 'trained and certified professionals' are not allowed (that would include virtually all surgical instruments, and practically everything in the Business and Industrial categories).

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/medical-devices-policy?id=4322&st=3&p...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Account restricted: Medical Devices Policy; eBay customer service acknowledges no policy violati

If your account has been "repeatedly restricted," you're well on your way to either not being able to sell at all (at best) or suspended (at worst). 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Account restricted: Medical Devices Policy; eBay customer service acknowledges no policy violati

Hello!

Ebay was ordered to pay 59 million recently for allowing certain medical devices.

There is a new post in this forum concerning this, also had a link to article talking about the settlement.

Could be why they are not allowing your medical devices. Not sure.....

Best wishes! 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

A "used" surgical instrument ? Yes, they should pull it. Don't worry about others who violate polices.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@herway

Exactly, because lots of pill press machines were illegally sold on Ebay. Check the DEA site for the whole article. 

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2024/02/01/ebay-pay-59-million-settle-controlled-substances-act-a...

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I would be alarmed if I had surgery and found out some of the instruments were purchased on Ebay.  Depending on the outcome suing for malpractice comes to mind.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply