cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Below Standard because of Fraudulent Returns

Hello,
I am hoping to get some assistance here. We had a customer order multiple items, ask for a return, and then return empty envelopes. We opened two cases. One was rightfully decided in our favor, but the second ,same customer, different empty envelope, was decided against us.

This has now put our account below standard, and thus our sales will be throttled soon.

I have appealed the decision and I am waiting for the response, but is there anything else we can do? Are there any moderators that could take a look at this? It just seems ridiculous that one scammer can shut down a business. It would be great if someone could take a look at this and apply some common sense to this case (the exact same as the case that was correctly decided)

Thank you for any assistance.

CASE ID: 53355912315335591231

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This has now put our account below standard

There are only two defects will put an eBay account below standard:

1) seller-initiated cancellations

2) cases closed without seller resolution

Both of these defects are within your control. 

Whenever you ask eBay to step in and decide a case that involves taking your word over the buyer's word, eBay will almost always rule against you and you will get a defect.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

thats not true

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@forgottenape wrote:

thats not true

What part is not true?

There are only two defects that affect the transaction defect rate, which causes Below Standard:

We count a transaction defect when either of these things happen:

• The seller cancels the order unexpectedly (e.g. because it was out of stock, or because they sold it to someone else)
  • The buyer reports an issue, but the seller doesn't resolve it (a case closed without seller resolution, as defined in the section above)

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

Seller-initiated cancellations are within a seller's control because sellers are the only ones who can initiate them. 

Cases without seller resolution are within a seller's control because they can choose to resolve them.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ebay doesn't downgrade you just because of your rate of returns. It downgrades you due to how you respond to the returns. It sounds like you just opened a case instead of responding to the return? That's why you were downgraded.  What you should have done was to respond to the return from ebay, give the customer a partial refund, explain why they are getting it in the note to the buyer. Then report them to beay for abusing the return system. At that point you tell ebay that they returned empty envelopes, when it asks for your comments. Block that buyer. 

Your account status may bounce back after one or two periods, if they rule in your favor for the second appeal. There aren't any "moderators" on here that can help you. We are all sellers and buyers like you offering expertise or opinions. If you want to talk to an agent of ebay for business. You can find then on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Good luck to you! 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Whether or not they are "fraudulent returns" or whatever reason...you have to...and eBay prefers "you" to work it out with the buyer.

Once eBay gets involved the result is the result.

Some buyers are not honest and we sellers have to deal with them.

They should be blocked immediately.

I got a dark plastic bag with something gooey in it returned to me. I sell only stamps. Mailman would not even deliver it...Went to post office and refused it. I take it as a loss and moved on. Did I try to fight it. Waste of time.

I saw the address and knew it was a buyer who wasn't happy about returns. Because it had tracking I would not win.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

late shipping rate and on time uploaded tracking rates are also part of your seller level

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Looking at your feedback it appears you have cancelled many orders. That will put you below.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

you can also become below standard for snads which is out of sellers control

you also stated ebay always sides with buyers that is untrue

so yes not true

but

i also disagree with op about being downgraded in search or throttled, ebay just wants to hit u for more fees they dont care how much you still sell

Message 9 of 9
latest reply