cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abrupt Stop in Sales...........................Why?

On my other selling account I was doing find, I was selling items regularly, which kept me motivated to list more things which promoted even more sales,   Friday came and nothing but crickets, someone had turned off my faucet, unpluged my power supply or better yet but a padlock on my store.        

Hey, ebay I need my sales to come back, I miss them!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Abrupt Stop in Sales...........................Why?

Sorry for the repeat posts, but the site froze on me and it didn't appear as though the post went through.
Message 46 of 63
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:
100% agree. It is obvious to me, that over the last few days, exposure in my area on Ebay is almost nonexistent. In the past 48 hours, among 4 sellers accounts (myself and 3 others I follow), with a total of approx. 4,000 listings, there have been a total of 5 sales. That isn't a business. Heck, that isn't even a hobby. It is not worth the hassle, mess, disruption of home (storing things, packaging area, photo area, etc) for essentially no return. I am really thinking of just getting rid of it all. Ebay is now just a distraction from time better spent.

As I look around my house, I  am beginning to wonder is it trying to make it work.     Just when,  I believe everything is going well for me, BANG, sales come to an abrupt stop with no explanation.    I have no idea what I need to work on----what cause the abrupt stop-----you can't fix what you don't know is broken!  One thing for sure, "This"  is not reliable income!

Message 47 of 63
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

I have no idea what I need to work on----what cause the abrupt stop-----you can't fix what you don't know is broken!  One thing for sure, "This"  is not reliable income!

Yes... If even the top people at eBay can not recommend anything that works, there definitely needs to be more transparency.

Or more importantly, fix the statistics bugs causing it.

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

Arbitrage is not good for business. How many brick and mortar shops that overcharge stay in business very long? Not very many. Don`t you just love bying something one day and then see it for less, or much less a day later? How much fun is that? If ebay really is getting rid of, or making it harder for them to do business and I say about time! 

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

If you have found ebay to be "reliable income" in recent years you are fortunate.   To me it has been little more than a small but steady stream of supplemental income especially selling collectibles.

While I sell very little in saturated categories or items that compete with foreign produced products - ebay is still the best place to sell collectibles without having to pay a subscription or insertion fee.  I have four accounts - selling different types of items on each.   So far this month my crafts account is the only one doing well - last month  it was sports collectibles - July was my books and this account.   But if I add all the sales for a given month together - the total varies little from month to month.

With Hurricane Florence in the picture for the past five days - I expected my sales to be impacted, and they were.  Only one east coast sale and that was to PA.   This is just one example of factors that may impact ebay sales for a short period of time  that have nothing to do with ebay. 

I've been selling on ebay for 19 years now, and there have always been ebay glitches, bad sellers, and problem buyers.  I see very little change in any of those things.  What has changed is the increased competition both inside and outside ebay, increased shipping costs, and the intrusion of international manufacturers and big box stores - all of which have impacted ebay sales and prices. 

A decade ago I sold primarily vintage china and glassware - they just don't seem to sell as well today - possibly because of fewer collectors and more costly shipping - not anything ebay is doing.   As a result I have had to change my inventory mix multiple times over the past five years - china and glassware now account for only 8% of my sales and 10% of my inventory. 

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

@zamo-zuanwrote:

[[I've also provided much information on how you could pinpoint if you are being affected by these bugs. There's very few things on sellers hub which indicate it but if your lucky you can notice it there. But if you request a business readout from the Sellers Health team, there's some statistic errors on there that 100% confirm if you are affected by the bug. Once the statistic errors are repaired, your stores impressions go back to normal.]]

I just spent an hour on the phone with CS ... first, the US based CS had no clue what "Seller Health" was ... and then after putting me on hold for a while ... it turns out that that team is only available to Anchor and Enterprise store subscribers.  Us lowly Premium Store sellers do not have access to that team or those reports. Consequently we cannot get anny errors that might me there corrected 😞

The CS could see that my impressions were down almost 60% from last year at this time,  told me that there are no errors or anything wrong with my listings ... but could not in any way tell me if there were "stale" listings, the impressions/#of listings  bug that you speak of or anything else helpful at all 😞

My seasonal uptick should have started in August ... there has been no sign of it yet this year 😞

impressions-views-2017.jpgimpressions-views-2018.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@zamo-zuanwrote:

[[I've also provided much information on how you could pinpoint if you are being affected by these bugs. There's very few things on sellers hub which indicate it but if your lucky you can notice it there. But if you request a business readout from the Sellers Health team, there's some statistic errors on there that 100% confirm if you are affected by the bug. Once the statistic errors are repaired, your stores impressions go back to normal.]]

I just spent an hour on the phone with CS ... first, the US based CS had no clue what "Seller Health" was ... and then after putting me on hold for a while ... it turns out that that team is only available to Anchor and Enterprise store subscribers.  Us lowly Premium Store sellers do not have access to that team or those reports. Consequently we cannot get anny errors that might me there corrected 😞

The CS could see that my impressions were down almost 60% from last year at this time,  told me that there are no errors or anything wrong with my listings ... but could not in any way tell me if there were "stale" listings, the impressions/#of listings  bug that you speak of or anything else helpful at all 😞

My seasonal uptick should have started in August ... there has been no sign of it yet this year 😞

impressions-views-2017.jpgimpressions-views-2018.jpg

Ouch. I was not aware Sellers Health team only assists anchor subscriptions.

To be 100% honest, even if you had hard evidence that there was an error, its extremely likely eBay would not have done anything to fix it anyway. CSR's may have tried, but they were not able to resolve my situation at all, and dealing them was more frustration than anything. 

The only thing that truly fixed it for us, was time. A few eBay updates later , and things went back to normal.

It would be nice to have some confirmation of what is going on, though.

I'm not sure why they were not able to tell you if any stale or stagnant listings. This sounds to me like the support you have is extremely sub-par compared to the anchor CSR's. 

It's extremely easy to look up these things. A stale listing is over 30 days unsold. A stagnant listing is over 90 days unsold. If you go to Sellers Hub > Growth > Listing Improvements > Underperforming listings, and sort by days unsold, you can see how many you have.

Now, stale is an extremely minor penalty. You don't have to worry about stale very much. Stagnant, is definitely something to keep an eye on though. 

It does not seem like you are still dropping. That is good at least. It's at the very least stable. But I do see it's consistently less than last year.

For now, it would be good to close & "sell similar" any stagnant listings you find. A regular relist preserves the old SEO data, selling similar should start anew. But please be careful, some sellers have had bugs with sell similar lately. Make sure it does not tweak any other data on your listings. 

Aside from that, one thing I've noticed with increased weight since July is "Free Returns", although I understand this might not be realistic in your category. It -does- seem to actually improve visibility a bit nowdays though (it did not seem to until mid-late June). Also, it's almost going to be a requirement if you don't want increased FVF from SNAD (you do see a significant drop in SNAD when switching to it). So it might be worth assessing if this is viable for your business.

Past this, I would need to see your listings to get an idea if there's any suggestions I could give you. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to send privately and I can check them out!

Good luck!

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

I'm not sure why they were not able to tell you if any stale or stagnant listings. This sounds to me like the support you have is extremely sub-par compared to the anchor CSR's. 

It's extremely easy to look up these things. A stale listing is over 30 days unsold. A stagnant listing is over 90 days unsold. If you go to Sellers Hub > Growth > Listing Improvements > Underperforming listings, and sort by days unsold, you can see how many you have.

Now, stale is an extremely minor penalty. You don't have to worry about stale very much. Stagnant, is definitely something to keep an eye on though. 

I have been working to get all of my listings to be as "fresh" as possible using end/sell similar for the past 6 months.

My items are "long tail", so my original goal was to have everything to be no more than 6 months old.

Since the reports from eBay Open started to come on about stale/stagnant listings, I have revised that schedule to 3 months.

Currently, none of my listings has a start date greater than June 1....so I am pushing 120 days on some listings.

Last Friday (Sep 14) I removed free shipping from my listings and lowered all of my pricing accordingly.

Yesterday (Sep 21) I added Best Offer on almost 200 items with a SKU that indicated that they were my oldest items (purchase date, not necessarily listed date).

I have not had a sale in 10 days.

No messages, no offers, nothing.

In 5 years, the only 10 day hiatus I have had  has been when my store was on vacation.

I have had concurrent zero sales days of 2-5 days during June and July in past years  ... But never in September.  I should be in my busy season by now .... it just isn't happening and I don't know why 😞

Message 53 of 63
latest reply

2017201720182018I have the anchor store and I too experienced a 60% decline in impressions from a year ago, but that hasn't affected my sales. My sales are higher this year as opposed to a year ago. 

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

@karmy2005 wrote:

I have the anchor store and I too experienced a 60% decline in impressions from a year ago, but that hasn't affected my sales. My sales are higher this year as opposed to a year ago. 

Your first screenshot is 3 months, Jul-Sep 2017 ... But your second screenshot is only for 1 month, Aug-Sep 2018 ?

And if the second screenshot is average of the prior 2 months, your impressions and views are UP from the previous year? 1.1M x 3 = 3.3M in 2018 vs 2.4M in 2017

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

@onlinesportsrus wrote:
Spoiler
We have been patient for months. Dropped from an Anchor store a couple of months ago because sales were so bad. Now we are at a sale a day. Last year 225k in sales. We are down 70% and about to go under. They keep finding new toys to play with at our expense.

May I ask why you have a 10 day handling time and an expected delivery date of almost 2 weeks if the items are supposedly in GA. That may be why buyers have stayed away from your business - they want things faster than that.

Message 56 of 63
latest reply

Why don't you try watching some videos and researching what others are doing to keep their sales up. Much better than listening to CS or us I guess. The help is out there - you have to want the help.

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

Hi, GetIt. I agree with you 150%. If even 3 months ago your items were selling with no problems, then just how come all of a sudden there are problems with how you list, where you list, and what you list. I believe it has to do with this Catalogue which has not been refined and their glitches with Mobile. In addition, I do not use ebay tools to list but losts of threads on here to not do a relist, but always do a new listing and only use the Advanced listing ebay tool. But, hey if your stuff was selling with no probs before, it is also based on the screwy search. I just searched for a children's tea pot set, what did they give me? Children's tee shirts. I give up.

Good luck with getting the message across that posters need to keep to the Post, and not evaluate a posters items unless the poster has specifically asked for "editorial" ? help (I don't even know what to call it). And another glitch today...and here on the Boards: you cannot do @ to any poster nor can anyone leave helpfuls. Go figure.  

If we don't look at the listings - then all the whining is for naught as they won't learn anything. If his listing set up is like the acct he is posting under here - than there are problems that if addressed will increase sales. The information about how to increase sales and the problems for low sales has been talked about repeatedly here - but no one seems to look at those.

The seller with a 10 day handling time - is excessive - unless they are drop shipping - and Ebay is lowering those accts in search as buyers don't want to wait a week and 1/2 for their items and may explain that person's decrease in sales - which we wouldn't know unless we looked at their listings.

Algorithms change repeatedly with every search engine - be it Ebay's, Etsy's, Google or Bing - you often have to experiment in order to get the results that you're looking for.

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

I have been working to get all of my listings to be as "fresh" as possible using end/sell similar for the past 6 months.

My items are "long tail", so my original goal was to have everything to be no more than 6 months old.

Since the reports from eBay Open started to come on about stale/stagnant listings, I have revised that schedule to 3 months.

Currently, none of my listings has a start date greater than June 1....so I am pushing 120 days on some listings.

Last Friday (Sep 14) I removed free shipping from my listings and lowered all of my pricing accordingly.

Yesterday (Sep 21) I added Best Offer on almost 200 items with a SKU that indicated that they were my oldest items (purchase date, not necessarily listed date).

I have not had a sale in 10 days.

No messages, no offers, nothing.

In 5 years, the only 10 day hiatus I have had  has been when my store was on vacation.

I have had concurrent zero sales days of 2-5 days during June and July in past years  ... But never in September.  I should be in my busy season by now .... it just isn't happening and I don't know why 😞

Hmm...

Question, when you updated your "stale/stagnant" listings, how long ago was that?

Did you update many listings at once?

The reason I ask these things is to compare to the situation we had, as you might be on to something if we can find a correlation.

In our case, around Feb 15th we spoke to an eBay rep about our issues and discovered that stagnants were weighing heavily in the algorithm. Developed a system to update many at once and by the 18th-19th we had them handled.

Then March 23rd our big drop began with the next eBay update. 

One thing I have wondered, is if all the items we updated for stagnant, somehow got corrupted or got some "bad data", and that caused issues when the eBay update dropped.

So that is why I am asking, might you have had a similar situation? Did you update many listings in a short period of time?

If some data was corrupted or lost (probably by the Bulk edit tool), this might have caused issues when eBay did their next update to search.

Coincidentally, approximately Sep 15th is when eBay was supposed to update the search based around the catalog changes.

Regarding free shipping, I do think free shipping does give a boost. I can not confirm if anything has changed regarding this from when I last checked, but I have not noticed any major difference on our own account.

My advice - at least offer ONE free shipping method, so you can get the free shipping "stamp". It seems that even if you offer a poor shipping method such as 5 or 7 days as the free method, you still count as "Free shipping", and then you can have paid shipping for all your expedited options.

Aside from that, check your performance > impressons page, set it to 31 days, and then check the 31 days prior, do you notice any major changes? If so, can you pinpoint the date your issues appeared? Might be able to find a correlation there.

Regarding stagnant listings, I think some of the information eBay gives is confusing regarding this. But from our own testing, I believe if your listing actually has some sales activity, it is GOOD to not relist it. If an item does become over 90 days "unsold", it will be good to relist it. No activity is better than poor activity. But sales activity (even if just 1 every month or 2) is better than no activity.

Some swear by constant relisting of all items, but I do not believe that actually helps in situations where your listings are performing decently already. 

"Stale" does not have a major affect. EBay has also been misleading in this area. Stagnant definitely has a larger affect. But stale, I believe is pretty minor, and that minor affect I think only happens if it is a new listing that has not sold for 30 days. If you sold 1 then have not sold in 30 days, it's not too noticable.

Final step, try searching your own listings, not just by parts of title, but also by identifiers. See how you are showing up (or not). See if best match is supporting you, or if you even appear when doing sort by price.

Basically, if we are going to look for issues to report to eBay at all, it needs to focus on "impressions" or actual "technical issues" you run in to, focusing on sales will get you nowhere. It has to be something they can not blame on the customer, and if the customers are not getting impressions, they are not even seeing your items.

Also, if you are on an anchor account, you can make a request for Sellers Health team to give you a business read out. You can look for statistic issues - this was a sign of issues on our account & it disappeared when our issue resolved. See if active listings numbers match total listings. See if stagnant listings numbers matches your actual numbers of stagnant. 

BTW, this is one thing that made it stand out to me when you said you have been updating for stagnant. Not only did we update stagnants a few weeks before issues... but our sellers health report was saying 580 or 590 stagnants when we had confirmed around only 30 with the sellers health rep.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

This was very helpful!
Message 60 of 63
latest reply