cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lot of buyers dont leave feedback. Why?

I have 100% good feedbck and i dont always get feedback left after i sell something to a buyer. I leave feedback for every transaction as a seller and as a buyer. I think it's a good policy to do so. How come people dont return feedback after they recieve the item? I would have a much higher score then i do if everyone would leave feedback.  I dont think the reason they left no feedback was because an item was bad cause they would of filed a complaint. So is it bad practice to remind or ask  a buyer to leave feedback if they havent?   Or can that cause me to get negative feedback you think?  or is it just plain tacky?

thanks 

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: A lot of buyers dont leave feedback. Why?

In the early 2000's my feedback rate, both as a buyer and seller was 100% or very near it.

Now, 20% or less sounds about right. Time's have changed and evolved as has ebay.

I'd rather get no feedback then a neutral, neg, SNAD, INR, etc.

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

Many buyers just want their widget.  No feedback is good feedback.

It is not advisable to ask for feedback.  If a buyer wants to leave it, they will leave it.  It's like nagging a kid to clean their room.  This Board has always said, don't poke the sleeping bear.

Consider that no feedback may also be to your advantage.  You are not owed positive feedback and many buyers save negs for truly egregious behavior.  The transaction you think was perfect may be less than that in the eyes of your buyer but they don't want to give bad feedback for it.

I leave feedback very intentionally; when I don't, there is a reason, yet I get messages from sellers, telling me that they left positive feedback for me, please leave it for them.  I message back that I didn't think you would want your potential buyers to know that you sent the rare, fragile, vintage, porcelain figurine in a plastic poly mailer.  Or that I didn't think you would want people to know the item came with significant undisclosed damage, and I list it.

Apologies.  But there is always a chance you will inspire someone who did not have a good transaction to tell people exactly what was wrong.  Or to simply leave a red doughnut that says:

HERE'S THE FEEDBACK YOU BUGGED ME FOR!

True story.

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

I dont agree about no one else looking for feedback.   Seems to be everyone wants you to give them feedback. Retaurants, even fast food places, beauty salons, car repairs/ sales, absolutely everyone I make a purchase from wants me to leave them feedback.  They all want your email address so they can hound you about buying again or they sell it to another "participating partner"  If  I answered every request for feedback I would be spending way too much time on the computer/phone etc.  I have started telling everyone " I do not do feedback" and I do not have email, because I'm tired of being hounded for more more more!  If I am happy with your service or product I'll tell you at the time of purchase and purchase again from you.  If not happy, I won't be back.  Simple.  I spend several minutes each day deleting "notices" or messages from my email that clog my in-box and yes I use the spam folder as well.  I've found it's much better to just tell eveyone, No, I do not have an email or even a smart phone or computer.  

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

Feed back is good way to keep score.

That said, in 18 years I've left 5,000 more fb than I've received.
Message 19 of 52
latest reply

In general:

Someone needs to call in the FB Kraken. Don't mean to be heartless, but it is time.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 20 of 52
latest reply

Feedback made sense - and was kinda fun- when ebay was a community of a few hundred thousand ordinary folks.  Now that it's an ecommerce site, there's little point.

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

Many now purchase as a "guest", and leave no feedback.

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

@luvmystorm wrote:

I have 100% good feedbck and i dont always get feedback left after i sell something to a buyer. I leave feedback for every transaction as a seller and as a buyer. I think it's a good policy to do so. How come people dont return feedback after they recieve the item? I would have a much higher score then i do if everyone would leave feedback.  I dont think the reason they left no feedback was because an item was bad cause they would of filed a complaint. So is it bad practice to remind or ask  a buyer to leave feedback if they havent?   Or can that cause me to get negative feedback you think?  or is it just plain tacky?

thanks 

My practice is to not ask for feedback. Nobody wants to be asked for feedback. However I send them a short email telling them I am shipping on X date and will leave positive feedback for them.  Plus "thank you". I get a lot of FB so I think that helps. Often people write back immediately assuring me they will leave FB when the item arrives.

Message 23 of 52
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

In general:

Someone needs to call in the FB Kraken. Don't mean to be heartless, but it is time.

Maybe that would help.   

I always like the stories about the buyers that leave negs because the sellers won't 

leave feedback first.

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

Feedback is harmless and takes me about 3 seconds to do it for a buyer.

I've always been of the opinion that I'll go ahead and do it. Then I don't run the risk of offending an eBay feedback maniac going off the rails.
Message 25 of 52
latest reply

It's nice to have but not necessary.  I leave it for the buyers after a couple of days go by and I am sure the item was delivered.  Maybe they return it maybe not.  I also leave it for my purchases.  If I DONT leave feedback for a buyer though it is usually because that buyer was problematic and if I cant leave them a neg they so richly deserve, they get nothing.

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

Feedback is entirely voluntary and optional.  A seller who requests FB from a buyer is leaving himself open to receive FB he does not want.  

Message 27 of 52
latest reply

And will we be hearing from our famous feedback authority? I will be vastly disappointed if we don't. 

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

Because they do not have to and are not required to......they are interested in buying and that is all that matters.
And feedback has never been for the seller anyway, it is about sellers/transactions...feedback is for other buyers

Message 30 of 52
latest reply