cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 BACK TO BACK EXAMPLES OF SELLERS GETTING AWAY WITH ILLEGAL ACTIVITY

So I play both buyer and seller on Ebay and have since the early 2000's.

Since Jan 22' I have experienced/encountered

what has been for me 2 off the worst sellers on the platform. I don't know if it was my turn on the bendover rover and get the bone spin wheel or just me picking the wrong post,  but to top off those bad purchases the customer service was 💯 % anti buyer and 💯 % let's protect the seller.

In the 1st example it was a matter of the auction showing one thing and actually recieving something else. But instead of eBay making the seller send me the missing parts they forced a refund on me. Why should a customer be forced to find time to repack, print new labels then drive 40 mins to the closest UPS drop off point? Vs the seller simply sending the missing items, items they stock I mind you, and sell everyday.

2nd experience is more on the seller. This one sends me a completely different item than what he advertised in the auction. Unfortunately it was a part of a project that didn't need to be opened until about 4 months after shipping. I know it's our fault for not opening the box to check the contents we accept that responsibility. The issue ? I reached out to said seller and he apologized, said send it back let me make it right!

So I did!  He went dark now he has my money and my parts and it's all on record in the messages here on eBay...

Seller protection is expired, asked for assistance, eBay said OK. So it appears the Seller then asked for eBay to look it over.

Final decision? I'm out of my part and money.. they agree with the seller he deserves to keep everything!!!! 👏 

Ebay is not a safe environment for buyers as it seems to be much more apparent that they have no power over sellers other than to give random humans a platform to sell and they collect their fees without any liability from said sales..

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@tarpondude 

In your fist example, the MBG says you get the item you ordered or your money back.

It doesn't say they'll force the seller to send missing parts.

Your second example, once the MBG expires, Ebay will do nothing to help.

You could have filed a claim with Pay Pal or your credit card.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buyers are ALWAYS covered over sellers; if you follow the Money Back Guarantee. 

For 'returns' if you opened a 'return' for 'item not as described' then a USPS label will be created (not a UPS) and your mailman can pick it up right from your porch (you can go to usps.com and set up 'pick up) so you don't have to drive anywhere (unless you are so remote you don't get US Mail at your home- but can then take to local post office, not UPS)

As kensgiftshop mentioned, you have 30 days. Anything beyond, you lose your buyer protection and MBG is no longer. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I think the mbg works really well and is easy when the criteria is followed correctly.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@tarpondude 

You've been on ebay for 20 years so you can't claim ignorance of the workings of ebay. 

For #1, did you open a NAD claim? Did send the item back for your refund? Had you opened the NAD claim, you could have to into the notes that you would be happy with the seller sending the missing parts, but if the seller preferred to have you return for refund, that would have been his choice. 

For #2, don't you have some responsibility here? Even if you don't need to use the item for several months, you're aware of the MBG timeframe, right? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm sorry you had two bad experiences, especially that second one, and I don't want to blame the victim for his misfortune.  But the reality is that eBay is a huge, international marketplace with many millions of sellers and buyers and so there's really no way to do case-by-case asssements of problem transactions, so the procedures are all pretty much automated. 

In the first case, sellers are required to issue refunds for items not as described but they are not required to send replacements or additonal pieces. 

In the second, after 30 days the eBay Money Back guarantee expires.  You do have 180 days to file a chargeback with PayPal, if you paid that way, or a similar length of time with your credit card.  Even at this late date, you might try contacting your credit card issuer to see if you can do a chargeback. 

That's all I can offer, and it's not much.

-

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@tarpondude wrote:

So I play both buyer and seller on Ebay and have since the early 2000's.

Since Jan 22' I have experienced/encountered

what has been for me 2 off the worst sellers on the platform. I don't know if it was my turn on the bendover rover and get the bone spin wheel or just me picking the wrong post,  but to top off those bad purchases the customer service was 💯 % anti buyer and 💯 % let's protect the seller.

In the 1st example it was a matter of the auction showing one thing and actually recieving something else. But instead of eBay making the seller send me the missing parts they forced a refund on me. Why should a customer be forced to find time to repack, print new labels then drive 40 mins to the closest UPS drop off point? Vs the seller simply sending the missing items, items they stock I mind you, and sell everyday.

2nd experience is more on the seller. This one sends me a completely different item than what he advertised in the auction. Unfortunately it was a part of a project that didn't need to be opened until about 4 months after shipping. I know it's our fault for not opening the box to check the contents we accept that responsibility. The issue ? I reached out to said seller and he apologized, said send it back let me make it right!

So I did!  He went dark now he has my money and my parts and it's all on record in the messages here on eBay...

Seller protection is expired, asked for assistance, eBay said OK. So it appears the Seller then asked for eBay to look it over.

Final decision? I'm out of my part and money.. they agree with the seller he deserves to keep everything!!!! 👏 

Ebay is not a safe environment for buyers as it seems to be much more apparent that they have no power over sellers other than to give random humans a platform to sell and they collect their fees without any liability from said sales..

First problem You had all the extra parts to what you sold?? I doubt it;

So to make you whole you get a refund.

Second problem: always examine the item when you receive it: to leave it lay around for a great deal of time with out examination it: is just plain bad policy for an individual as well as a business.

I leave what I thin about this empty due to policy.

As for safe: it is not; You are purchasing blind; and hoping you acualy get the item as described;

Most sellers strive to do so: some are not so good at it. It was and still is

"BUYER BEWARE".

I will say this thanks for posting.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@tarpondude wrote:

First, because eBay cannot force a seller to ship something - any more than they can force a buyer to pay after winning an auction.

That aside:

Let's pretend that in an alternate universe, that same transaction happened but with one crucial difference - all the correct items were included, and the buyer lied and said they were not. Why should a seller be forced to additional items for free?

The reality is that eBay has no idea which party is guilty.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tarpondude 

< instead of eBay making the seller send me the missing parts they forced a refund on me >     

As a matter of practicality, the refund is preferable.  Since the seller screwed up the original shipment, I'd expect there to be a higher than even probability that he'd screw up the additional shipment.  And then you'd already used up your shot at the MBG.  Take the money, and buy your own replacement from a better seller.  JMO, of course.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply