cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-K

Looks like the small seller on ebay is now going to have that last nail in the coffin to stop selling on ebay.  It used to be a great place to make some extra money, but I have been finally priced out.  Overhead like, cost of item, fees, and the ultra high USPS postage changes over the last few years (price by area of the country, and the biggest scam of Christmas surcharge that starts OCT 1st of each year now, retired mailman here, NEVER have I delivered xmas mail in Oct or Nov!), makes a profit margin of only 10% not worth it,,,,even more so only to be taxed over 600.00 grass sales.  zero money to be had anymore.  Yes, just increase your price, most would say,,,,well after 22 years on ebay I know what prices people are willing to pay,,,,,an increased price is not part of the fix....

Message 1 of 215
latest reply
214 REPLIES 214

Re: 1099-K

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mam98031 wrote: ... Ebay is going to have a Podcast in the near future on the 1099K subject.  it isn't currently scheduled.  But once it is a few of us that have been trying to get this to happen will post all over the forums of the time and place for the Podcast so as many sellers as we can reach will be able to attend.

WHY a podcast, rather than a written Help page that people can refer to!

One thing at a time.  IDK if Ebay would publish such a page, but you can try.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 166 of 215
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

@keha-5838 wrote:

Honestly, the new tax law just makes me not want to sell online anymore. 

What new tax law? Have I missed something?

I am curious. Your're from AUSTRAILIA - why so much concern over US Tax Law?

My reply was actually [/s] referring to  keha-5838's  misquote of the NEW tax law that is not a new tax law

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 167 of 215
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@wildpitchsports wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

@keha-5838 wrote:

Honestly, the new tax law just makes me not want to sell online anymore. 

What new tax law? Have I missed something?

I am curious. Your're from AUSTRAILIA - why so much concern over US Tax Law?

My reply was actually [/s] referring to  keha-5838's  misquote of the NEW tax law that is not a new tax law

I would just add that a seller does not have to be located in the USA to be a solid contributor on the forums.  

Message 168 of 215
latest reply

Man, I am feeling the exact same way as you, what a bunch of bull

Message 169 of 215
latest reply

which free app do you use?

Message 170 of 215
latest reply

I don't mind the  1099 at all.  Heck, for years we had a 1099 for 'farm income' that was always less than $100. It was a minor headache, but we managed, and we don't have a farm.  Just keep good records and don't wait until the end of the year to try to do it all at once.  What I DO mind about the new 1099 is that what could be considered taxable hobby income doesn't cover taxable hobby losses, but that's our government, spending $100 to save $1 while paying $10,000 for a toilet seat and paying people more to stay home than they would earn for a job.

What I'm selling is all items that have been in my house for years that I am purging for a move.  I'll handle this paperwork like I did all my non cash charitable contributions when I used to itemize deductions, with accurate, consistent paperwork.

Message 171 of 215
latest reply

Hobby seller here. Sold used goods from garage sales, the attic, etc. to pay for other hobbies (cars, motorcycles). Guess that's over. Just took down all my auctions. I don't want the hassle of having to treat this activity like a business. 

Message 172 of 215
latest reply

For the casual seller selling used items it's not worth it.

Back to Craigslist or the Swap Sheet.

Message 173 of 215
latest reply

@sprucewood3092 wrote:

Hobby seller here. Sold used goods from garage sales, the attic, etc. to pay for other hobbies (cars, motorcycles). Guess that's over. Just took down all my auctions. I don't want the hassle of having to treat this activity like a business. 

@sprucewood3092 

Stuff you purchased at garage sales or stuff you already had and just set aside for a garage sale.

If you are purchasing stuff at garage sales to resale on Ebay, the income from that is taxable.

Selling stuff you had in your closet or attic is likely not taxable.

You'd be better off LEARNING the actual rules rather than just jumping to the conclusion that you need to stop selling as that is likely not necessary and all you are doing is hurting yourself unnecessarily.

Of course you have every right to do whatever is right for you, just keep in mind that what you have decided to do is likely not necessary.

Message 174 of 215
latest reply

@sprucewood3092 wrote:

For the casual seller selling used items it's not worth it.

Back to Craigslist or the Swap Sheet.

@sprucewood3092 

Selling a "used" items does not mean it is or isn't something to be considered with your income taxes.

People buy used items all the time to sell here or elsewhere.  That income from those sales needs to be reported on Federal tax returns as income.

But selling stuff from your closets, attic, garage, etc.  That is likely NOT going to increase your income taxes owed.  There are some exceptions.  You just need to learn more about this subject.  Don't jump to conclusions without the FACTS.

Message 175 of 215
latest reply

There is no question that it will deter a casual seller from listing items.  If it wasn't  going to be a deterrent, ebay wouldn't be encouraging its users to write their representatives or lobbying congress.

I fully agree that if you're buying items to make a profit you should pay your fair share if you exceed the threshold.  But if I'm cleaning out stuff I no longer use, or have lost interest (and I have a ton of stuff that fits that category)  I'll now save it for a garage sale, and ebay knows this. I won't be listing a $600 car roof rack system that I now longer need, I'll Craigslist it.

Message 176 of 215
latest reply

@sprucewood3092 wrote:

There is no question that it will deter a casual seller from listing items.  If it wasn't  going to be a deterrent, ebay wouldn't be encouraging its users to write their representatives or lobbying congress.

I fully agree that if you're buying items to make a profit you should pay your fair share if you exceed the threshold.  But if I'm cleaning out stuff I no longer use, or have lost interest (and I have a ton of stuff that fits that category)  I'll now save it for a garage sale, and ebay knows this. I won't be listing a $600 car roof rack system that I now longer need, I'll Craigslist it.

I haven't argued that point.  It will deter a lot of sellers.  Likely mostly because they don't learn the actual rules.  Some simply assume that if they are selling their own stuff they will now have to pay income taxes on the money received for the stuff which is NOT TRUE in most or many cases.  But because they don't take the time to educate themselves about the rules they will stop because the fear having to pay more taxes, when in actuality they don't.

See I don't get why you wouldn't sell the stuff.  Is it because you ASSUME you will have to pay taxes on the money or have you actually done your homework and discovered that IRS would require that?

IDK that Ebay is the best place for a car roof rack anyway.  Expensive to ship so you'd likely do local pick up.

Message 177 of 215
latest reply

All you replied about was taxes, obviously missed all the points.......My business model is fine, been doing it for 23 years!,,,,,,,the fact is I can't absorb all the overhead to cover rising costs, raising the price don't work, tried, people don't buy........yes the 600.00 tax thing **bleep** me off,,,,but it's mostly the USPS and now with the xmas surcharge 2 months before xmas,,,,come on now...AND before anyone wants to defend the USPS ripping people off,,,,,I am retired USPS clerk and mailman!  Some sellers, think lowering a price to make 25 cents is a good business model,,,. No one makes money then.......On average I'm making a dollar, whereas over the years I made far, far more, especially 1998-2005, downhill since 2005.  Not worth it anymore..........

Message 178 of 215
latest reply

BINGO!!!!   someone that replied that finally gets it!  And all these perfect people that report every dime they make and don't over amplify their deductions and claim every penny,,,all liars!!!!  Most are just trying to augment pathetic retirement income, thats always changing for everyones benefit  but the retiree.  Now can't even take a square charge at a flea market....This new rule will only effect the small guy trying to make a few bucks on every venue,,,,,garage sales, flea markets, swap meets, online selling, any venue, all gone!   After all. we all gotta claim every dime, right perfect people!

Message 179 of 215
latest reply

of course I do,,,,,,,but after all making 50 cents a transaction is a stupid waste of time

Message 180 of 215
latest reply