cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-K

Looks like the small seller on ebay is now going to have that last nail in the coffin to stop selling on ebay.  It used to be a great place to make some extra money, but I have been finally priced out.  Overhead like, cost of item, fees, and the ultra high USPS postage changes over the last few years (price by area of the country, and the biggest scam of Christmas surcharge that starts OCT 1st of each year now, retired mailman here, NEVER have I delivered xmas mail in Oct or Nov!), makes a profit margin of only 10% not worth it,,,,even more so only to be taxed over 600.00 grass sales.  zero money to be had anymore.  Yes, just increase your price, most would say,,,,well after 22 years on ebay I know what prices people are willing to pay,,,,,an increased price is not part of the fix....

Message 1 of 215
latest reply
214 REPLIES 214

Re: 1099-K

Please do not confuse people with your assumptions. $20,000 was never the LAW.....

that being said....your selling costs are not your fees....

the way that page calculates selling costs include shipping (which is not a fee)

so it is very misleading to many sellers.......

Example for a $10.00 item with $5.00 shipping.....(no sales tax state)

fees (in a 12.55% category) on $15.00 would be approximately 1.88 +.30 (14.5 % total)

ADD THE SHIPPING COSTS as a "fee" (as that calculation does in your example)

the "Selling Costs" total $7.18 (a whopping 48%)!!!!

so, as you can see with this extreme example 48% is not the "FEE" for ebay

Message 76 of 215
latest reply

‎12-22-2021 11:42 PM

@winterpalace25 wrote:

I am a retiree and file a Schedule C for my little bit of supplementary income.  A 1099k changes nothing.

About time.

An Honest Seller.  Finally.  These 1099k threads/posts make me nutz.  Just do the right thing, people.  If you need to rationalize/argue this for even 5 sec, you already know the answer.

The law is the law, regardless of whether or not you consider it "fair".

On what planet have you been living? If you have money you are not subject to the same laws as the rest of us and everybody knows it. So screw you and your pollyanna babble. What is wrong with all of you? You know the top 1% and every lowlife politician up there are not paying even close to their fair share in taxes. Trumps and Mitch McConnel's 2017 tax cuts will continue to cost the little people everything. Don't speak of ignorance of the law here. The ignorant pave the way for this kind of power grab. I am sick to my soul with this attitude from you people that stand up and cheer when they slap the rest of us with more taxes and force people to give up the last little bit of monetary gain. Screw you. When they slap that ignorance right out of you people don't expect anybody to care. You go ahead and give the government your fair share. I will hold onto mine until they pry it out of my hands. And low and behold, they just did. You people are the reason this country is so pathetically hypocritical. Stand up and cheer,, they just eliminated one more. I quit and I hope you all find yourselves without someday. You may have a different outlook when they take it all away from you.

Message 77 of 215
latest reply

Any money I make is reported, I was just commenting on a post. I thought chat was a place to to express how you feel and how other members were dealing with the situation...I did Ebay for fun...looks like that's might come to an end...thank you for your response...

Message 78 of 215
latest reply

The vast majority of resellers are finding out or have found out within the past couple of weeks. Not everyone remembers what happened in March. Before you say it, I know. And with the announcement the other day by eBay it will escalate. 

Message 79 of 215
latest reply

crytoBay

Wallet to wallet web 3.0 transactions. No payment processors. It's in its' infancy right now but better believe someone will make it a higher priority with all this going on.

Message 80 of 215
latest reply

It was signed into law this year. WHAT are you talking about. BOTH administrations are to blame.

Message 81 of 215
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

It was signed into law this year. WHAT are you talking about. BOTH administrations are to blame.

What are you talking about.  Paying taxes goes wayyyy back.  The only change now is a piece of accounting more parties have to issue in the form of a 1099k.  Taxes have been due forever.

Message 82 of 215
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

Perhaps. I do see that there are almost 1 million less baseball card listings and a couple hundred thousand less football & basketball card listings just since Sunday however. 

The smart ones will get their ducks in a row and plan accordingly. Like society that number isn't very high lol

That is likely due to the time of year not next year's 1099's.  Lots of sellers in lots of categories don't put up new listings during this week before Christmas.  They will likely pick up again next week.

They can't stop selling now just because they don't like the threshold changing on the 1099Ks.  They have to have some income to pay what they owe in back taxes since they haven't felt the need to inform IRS of their income in previous years.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 83 of 215
latest reply

@assortedcollectibles wrote:

@wildpitchsports wrote:

Perhaps. I do see that there are almost 1 million less baseball card listings and a couple hundred thousand less football & basketball card listings just since Sunday however. 

The smart ones will get their ducks in a row and plan accordingly. Like society that number isn't very high lol

I wonder if new markets and alternative payment options will arise as a consequence of all of this.

@assortedcollectibles 

You are aware that this is a LAW, not an option.  It applies to EVERYONE that sells on the internet, not just specific sites.  As many new sites and payment processors can pop up as they deem necessary.  Every single one of them will still have to comply with the LAW.

Message 84 of 215
latest reply

@maryrn59 wrote:

I agree, I have been selling on Ebay over 20 years, I am a collector of all sorts of items mostly antiques and collectibles. I have never gone over the the 20,000 dollar mark. Most of the items I am selling now have been things I have collected over the last 35 years. As many of you know most of these items have been reproduced so have loss value. I paid a high price for many that are worth next to nothing.  I purchased them at estate sales and flea markets, so no receipts.  I did do this as something to do on my days off and to make a few extra dollars.  I'm a nurse and retired this year. I have a large inventory mostly items I purchased and display in my home and decided to sell.  With Ebay fees of 21% and now with claiming of $600.00 and anything over is taxed at 28% it will become a loss.  Most resale items have already been taxed when the original owner purchased them. Now when you resell they are re-taxed and the government is getting more money on the same item...I can see if you're selling new items and you have to pay tax on them, but the small seller who is selling preowned items should not be penalize, it is those sellers who sell new items make out in the long run.  Yes I do pay my taxes and worked for the last 45 years.  So now what, stop selling on line, the government is after the small people that try to make a few extra dollars to make ends meet.  Out of my social security check I have to pay for medicare and a supplement so basically amounts to nothing not enough to cover my monthly expenses. Just a thought for you to think about.  

Ebay doesn't charge a 21% fee in your categories.  You have a store and pay 11.7% FVF plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

What kind of a tax bracket are you in to pay 28% in income taxes??  

If you have always claimed your internet income and paid your taxes, what makes you want to stop selling now because the threshold on the 1099K is changing.  If you have always claimed the appropriate income, what purpose does that serve?  

You should check out the rules for those that are of full retirement age, if you are.  And you should read up on when you are selling stuff that you have owned for years.  You may be thinking certain things are taxable that are not.  You really need to spend some time with research as you have some misunderstandings.

Message 85 of 215
latest reply

@maryrn59 wrote:

According to the law you were allowed to make $20,000.00 without claiming it. Now that it has changed. That's my point...now times are changed with the new administration. If you did not receive a 1099-K you do not have to claim. Read the law...I think you are not thinking about what is really going on. 

@maryrn59 

No and NO and No again.  Please provide a link to a law that says that.  You won't find it as there is no such animal.  The minimum threshold on a 1099K does not mean that if you make less than that you don't have to claim your income.  It says that NOWHERE in the law.

The threshold is for the FORM only, not anything else.  You simply are reading something into the law that simply is NOT there.

1099Ks are ONLY for online income.

This has NOTHING to do with ANY administration.  You are required by law to report your income to the IRS and clearly since you misunderstood the law, you have not been doing that.

You are likely the type of taxpayer that the new threshold was done to catch.  So you need to be very careful so that you do not get yourself into trouble with IRS for not paying taxes or claiming your actual income from internet sales.

We aren't the ones that need to read the law.  

Message 86 of 215
latest reply

@maryrn59 wrote:

Actually my selling cost areSelling costs

$646.42
26.9%
of your total sales 
I couldn't send the original it would not let me copy and paste....

I'm not sure what this means.  If you are talking about that graphic that you can get to in your Seller Hub that tells you how much your fees are, you need to look at that graphic a bit closer too as it contains shipping costs if ran through Ebay which is NOT a fee that Ebay charges.

Message 87 of 215
latest reply

@glasqueene wrote:

I'm with you. If you are a small seller like some of us, you sometimes end up with very little profit.  What kills me is everyone wants free shipping.  Again, some of us cannot afford to that!

@glasqueene 

After all these years and you still don't understand what Free Shipping actually is???

Free shipping does NOT mean the seller does not have to pay for shipping, it means they roll that cost into the price of the product or AKA Shipping included.  

If you are not adding shipping to your costs of a particular product when you are developing the price you need to sell it at, you are only hurting yourself and that is not what Free Shipping is meant to do.

Message 88 of 215
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

crytoBay

Wallet to wallet web 3.0 transactions. No payment processors. It's in its' infancy right now but better believe someone will make it a higher priority with all this going on.

Someone has to process the payments, if not a money processor then who?

Message 89 of 215
latest reply

For example right now there are marketplaces for NFT's that work solely on wallet to wallet crypto transactions, with the web host taking a % of the sale. Basically like an eBay fee.

Difference is there's no SSN or as they call it KYC (Know Your Customer) verification, the only transaction log is on the blockchain that shows wallet to wallet. And someone can have an infinite amount of wallets, each with their own unique address unlike currently where everything is tied to a SSN or  ITIN. If it's taken them 20 + years to catch up to online sales and 1099's linked to our SSN or ITIN - then odds are none of us will be alive when they figure out how to match a wallet ID to a person.

Message 90 of 215
latest reply