cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1% of my buyers give me 99% of my problems

Spoiler
And that is actually not a bad ratio to deal with. I've been in, one way or another, involved in retail since 1972, have had my eBay seller account for almost two decades, and have accrued close to 6,000 transactions. I have always taken the good with the bad, and kept a stiff upper lip with the barrage of changes.... But I have NEVER seen things like this before.  I used to be one of the "fanbay" (aka, eBay cheerleader) sellers, but that is evaporating.  Any more at the end of the day..... I tell you what. This isn't a rant or even a gripe... it's just more of an example of rhetorical prattle. I think eBay central, and it's buyers, are making me a tad bit cynical 😊
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I have no clue what that "spoiler"  hoopla is or why it even manipulates the thread 😖

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

This is pretty much true for me too.

I have a lot of great buyers, many regulars, but I also get some incredibly abusive messages (from a small minority of buyers) accusing me of fraud and bad packaging and not shipping and ALWAYS I discover that they have made a mistake and they contacted the wrong seller (it just happened again a few days ago).

One buyer was particularly belligerent and sent me a photograph of a package that was ripped to shreds, but it was NOT one of my packages, it was NOT one of my mailing labels and it was NOT my return address on the label. It's hard to get this across to an upset buyer who doesn't realize he or she chose the wrong seller.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You are correct; It seems to have just gotten very taxing here (no pun intended) in the last 12 months or so.. And that is in all respects that you mention. It's becoming way too stressful, and for me, it just isn't fun anymore.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I blame the internet. Makes it so much easier for the average person to be a total asshat to a random stranger.

I believe most people who act like jerks online only do so because they're "anonymous". It's a whole lot easier to flex imaginary muscles behind a keyboard than face to face.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Agree and I am dealing with one of these arrogant and entitled buyers right now. Guy opens a "ARRIVED DAMAGED"  claim and states in notes "Will Not Support Postal Claim. Item Damaged Due To Box and Little Packing" I asked him politely to please provide pictures of damage and what the damage is and he REFUSES to supply pictures or tell me what is wrong with the steel box I sold him?? He is maliciously VOIDING ANY INSURANCE CLAIM I may have "IF" the package was damaged during shipping. He has stated that he Is going to make sure I can't file a claim?? because he did not "LIKE" the way it was packaged. $367.00 item I am going to have to refund and eat the $28.00 shipping cost back to me and the paypal fees for the sale. What can I do this guy is holding me hostage? He is malicious and calculating and I have no protection whatsoever. A buyer can just make a claim and not have to back it up with any proof AND say Screw you the INSURANCE YOU PAID FOR IS NULL AND VOID because I SAY SO!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

So true . Just like a neighbor who moved in behind us about two years ago . This neighborhood pretty much  lived in peace until that fateful day . The only thing he does is whine and complain  about every little thing,, every neighbor is his vicinity is always doing something wrong  . He's called the Humane society because a dog barked in the middle of the day ,, has called the police on birthday parties a number of times .   We even seen him conducting a one man protest in front of the McDonalds on the corner here  one day.  Wish he'd move . Tulips

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I’m a new seller and really need help. I made my account on Amazon and eBay just before the coronavirus. because of that I was unable to send anything to Amazon, not even to do retail arbitrage. so I took everything I didn't use at home and put it to sell on eBay.
God, I was so happy when I received so many offers. But ALL, I said ALL were scam. I am very discouraged, desperate, I need to take care of my daughter and I have no hope of getting a job, with the possible economy recession.
What did I do wrong? I don't even want to get rich, I just need to earn about 3k a month. Please help me!!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@kelluba_0 

You'll get a more helpful response if you start a new discussion thread for your question. Your post could get overlooked here in this discussion.

Very sorry that your circumstances are so difficult. Depending on what you sell, it's not necessarily easy to make $3,000/month on eBay. If you're unemployed as a result of COVID-19, you may want to look into filing for unemployment insurance through your state.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Yes, and if they do X (below)...odds of negative feedback or claim against you increases Y (below)

1. they include a message to buyer...1.5 fold

2. they include postal service instructions...2 fold

3. their message includes "god bless"...4 fold

3. their message includes "GOD BLESS"...6 fold

4. their message includes "if you do right by me I will buy from you again"...10 fold

5. their message includes "the last seller screwed me"...inevitable, block and move on

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Retail arbitrage (selling on eBay then fulfilling from elsewhere) is against eBay selling rules and can get you permanently removed.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

I have no clue what that "spoiler"  hoopla is or why it even manipulates the thread 😖

I've accidentally hit it before when I'm clicking around to post.  If there's no text in the spoiler tag I think that's when it makes the thread scroll back up to the top.

As for the topic, for me it's always the cheapskates, so I have a bottom range under which I just won't sell.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Thank you. 😢
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@kelluba_0 wrote:

I’m a new seller and really need help. I made my account on Amazon and eBay just before the coronavirus. because of that I was unable to send anything to Amazon, not even to do retail arbitrage. so I took everything I didn't use at home and put it to sell on eBay.
God, I was so happy when I received so many offers. But ALL, I said ALL were scam. I am very discouraged, desperate, I need to take care of my daughter and I have no hope of getting a job, with the possible economy recession.
What did I do wrong? I don't even want to get rich, I just need to earn about 3k a month. Please help me!!

Were you selling expensive items on a low feedback account? Scammers target those accounts, hoping to defraud new sellers who may not know the eBay ropes yet. What are you hoping to sell on Ebay?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I blame the internet. Makes it so much easier for the average person to be a total asshat to a random stranger.

I believe most people who act like jerks online only do so because they're "anonymous". It's a whole lot easier to flex imaginary muscles behind a keyboard than face to face.

That couldn't be more true.  At my B&M store i deal with "problem customers" over the internet, on the phone, and in person.

On the internet a customer can be a 5-star jerk

Over the phone that same person is only a 3-star jerk.

In person that same person often turns out to be a nice guy.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 15 of 16
latest reply