cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your daily Buyer Fails to understand shopping cart issue 3/27/24 costing sales

and here is another one for today.....I have check my documented transactions of this failure the buyers have reported to me and the number of cases where the cart has not worked as designed is up to 315...so tell me again how there is not an issue and sellers are Not losing sales! because of it....Now if the cart was simple and easy to understand as well as function, one would not have these questions...as the buyer would have some kind of understanding/guidance/accuracy/ability to generate the request new total/and to actually complete successfully a transaction.....IS THAT ASKING TOO MUCH EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hello,
Do you combine shipping? If so, is it automatically done at checkout or how does it work? This is the other item .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374638684290

Thank you
Chris

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I have no way to explain to the buyer how it works as I cannot even figure out how it works and feel confident of the answer! After 27 years on here, I am starting to feel like I booked a cruise on the Titanic! I just refer them to call ebay to have them fix their account and they created it they can figure it out and explain it to the buyer....

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Todays Confused Buyer Message

If the cart worked and was simple to both understand and use...the CUSTOMER/BUYER would not have to ask, it would just simply work and generate sales.

"I want to buy both set of lights you have listed

Do you combine shipping ?"
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

So, a buyer asking you if you combine shipping is a shopping cart problem?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I don't see the buyer being confused, they are asking if you combine shipping.

Some sellers don't combine shipping, so buyers ask about it.

Some sellers have no idea how to set up combined shipping and they'll put in their listings to contact them about it.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Absolutely it is a problem....and should not be a problem for the buyer to use the request a total button if it is even there and then if ebay does not force the buyer to pay before he can proceed...or blocked for any number of reasons that the cart brains cannot figure out and goes into some kind of default mode.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

and here is the next buyer up to bat who ebay is blocking which in turn leads me to have to figure out what ebay failed to do...this one is another good example of "if the buyer would never have messaged me about the cart failure I, the seller, would have never known about the attempted purchase if the buyer simply gave up and went away....

"looking to buy this one and the A body one as well how do i get combined shipping? tried through my ebay cart but wouldn't allow me to ask for combined shipping?
thanks"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I will begin listing each failure between a buyer and ebays cart...I have 300+ to go..sooner or later ebay the light bulb will go on.  I wonder if we can interface our own shopping cart much like one does on a website...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Tell the buyer not to use the app.

I don't know why, but as much as they are setting everything up for mobiles, they don't add the request total button to the app.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I just put 4 items from your store in the cart to see what would happen. All of them are 1:64 scale. It wants to charge $5.25 per item shipping. This is not a cart problem this is a seller setup problem. You do not have your combined shipping discounts set up properly, so the cart is charging full price for each item.

I can see why customers are contacting you about if you combine shipping. I would do the same thing since if you hit request total you are locked into buying and I would want to know the actual shipping cost before purchasing.

My buyers have no problem navigating the cart. They can add all the items they want and it will show the discounted shipping price without having to contact me. I use a calculated shipping rule for domestic shipping and a flat shipping rule for international. Luckily, I only sell 2 different types of items. 1:43 diecast and 1:72 planes. Sellers with a broader selection would need more shipping rules but it could be done.

The one thing the cart will not do even with proper combined shipping rule discounts set up is to be able to figure out shipping if the items have different combined shipping rules. When that happens, the cart will charge the full price on the 1st item from each combined shipping rule and then the discount is applied on any others purchased.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I'm seeing the "request combined shipping" with the cart........

dhbookds_0-1712000771766.png

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I'm seeing the "request combined shipping" with the cart........

dhbookds_0-1712000771766.png

@dhbookds 

The problem is the buyer sees that and then contacts the seller to see if they combine/ discount shipping. If the seller had his shipping discounts correctly figured and applied there would be no need to contact before purchase.

Most buyers won't click the request total button unless they know exactly what shipping will be as if you do you are locked into purchasing the items even if the seller doesn't combine/discount shipping. Also, the Request total button only shows on a computer and not the mobile app.

In the example above just imagine if you put 6 cars in and it totaled $5.25 x 6 for a whopping $31.50 shipping. Most buyers would hit the back button immediately. I know I would.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply