cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending an offer to buyers locks your listings up for days

If you use the seller hub and you send an offer to buyers, you won't be able to make any changes whatsoever to your listing for days, and you won't be able to end the offer to buyers.

For some reason eBay have forgotten to add the ability to end the offers, and eBay won't let you make any changes to the listings you've sent offers for, so essentially your listings will be uneditable for at least 3 days.  You can't edit the item description, price, postage cost or service, postage estimates, quantity of items available, etc.

This is an absolute nightmare if you have a multiple item listing and thought it would benefit you to send out some offers to interested buyers.

The problem is compounded by the fact that it now takes 24 hours for a listing to show up in search, so once you've sent the offers and you can't edit your listing, you don't even have the ability to create a 2nd listing to show up in search that day either.

Seller hub certainly gives more tools for sellers, but it also takes away vital functions that can seriously harm your revenue stream.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi! I just wanted to pipe in and let you know that once you've sent the offer, the buyer will have the option to accept or reject it. If the buyer doesn't accept or reject the offer, it will time out and the offer will become invalid.

I'll pass on your feedback @tek*tok, that you'd like the ability to cancel a seller initiated offer though.

In the meantime, it would be good to make any known edits to a listing prior to sending an offer as @stainlessenginecovers suggested. 

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Makes complete sense to do this. If I received an offer that you sent on Tuesday afternoon and didn't see it until Thursday morning, I would NOT want you to have changed or removed that item (unless another offer receiver bought it and it's a 1-only). 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Makes no sense whatsoever - If I have an inventory of 100 items and I send an offer to a buyer at a reduced price, I would absolutely expect to be able to lower the postage cost, add an additional postage service, update my inventory or update the description for the other 99 available.

I would absolutely expect to be able to withdraw the offer as anyone can do from "my selling" in the seller hub.

I wouldn't expect to find I have no option but to end the listing and start again to terminate the offer and create an entirely new one with a 24 hour wait in order to get back to where I started.

Don't defend stupidity.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

My eBay > More Actions > Manage offers

no longer exists once you move to the seller hub. Massive oversight from eBay.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

If you are saying; which you did not state the 1st time, that you are sending an offer for 1 of your 100 items, and even though you sent that offer, you still cannot edit the other 99? Then, that's a different story. 

Otherwise, edit before sending an offer, because sending on offer would be the same as having a listing on auction and not being able to do any editing once you have a bid. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

This is a standard function on eBay, until you switch to the seller hub and the function has failed to be carried over.

This is an eBay sitemap problem, not a matter of your opinion.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Hi! I just wanted to pipe in and let you know that once you've sent the offer, the buyer will have the option to accept or reject it. If the buyer doesn't accept or reject the offer, it will time out and the offer will become invalid.

I'll pass on your feedback @tek*tok, that you'd like the ability to cancel a seller initiated offer though.

In the meantime, it would be good to make any known edits to a listing prior to sending an offer as @stainlessenginecovers suggested. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Managing seller initiated offers has always been found here:

My eBay > All selling and select More Actions > Review all offers

Moving to seller hub removes this function. This is an oversight by eBay.

You can't even change the price of your product once you've sent an offer, which is ludicrous, like Royal Mail's postal price increases for example.

Either re-add the function to the seller hub, or update your help pages to reflect that you've abandoned the function:

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/grow-your-sales/using-promotions-to-boost-your-sales/offer-to-buyers...

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

So are you saying that you could send me an offer for that $20 thingy, for $15 and before I can accept or decline, you can raise it to $200?? 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@tek*tok wrote:

Managing seller initiated offers has always been found here:

My eBay > All selling and select More Actions > Review all offers

Moving to seller hub removes this function. This is an oversight by eBay.

You can't even change the price of your product once you've sent an offer, which is ludicrous, like Royal Mail's postal price increases for example.

Either re-add the function to the seller hub, or update your help pages to reflect that you've abandoned the function:

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/grow-your-sales/using-promotions-to-boost-your-sales/offer-to-buyers...

Thanks for pointing that out @tek*tok. I'll make sure the owner of that Seller Center page knows that it has incorrect info in the FAQ in regards to seller initiated offers. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

No, I'm saying that if I have a multiple item listing for sale at £100 and I send you an offer for £50, I then can't change my listing to £50 or any other amount until you decline the offer, which is a pain if a competitor comes in with their identical product at £99 and I then lose 3 days worth of sales because you haven't rejected your £50 offer and I can't reduce the price to £98.

I also can't adjust the postal service,  add additional shipping options, make minor changes to the item description, the title, the sub title etc.

And to be clear, when you're sent an offer and you go look at the listing to decide if you want to accept the offer, You wouldn't benefit from any changes to the listing either, such as if I had decided to offer everyone free postage but couldn't edit the listing to reflect that, so you would end up paying postage, then the second you actually accepted or rejected that offer I could then go back and instantly change the postage to free, which I'm sure wouldn't be very good for you either.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@tek*tok wrote:

No, I'm saying that if I have a multiple item listing for sale at £100 and I send you an offer for £50, I then can't change my listing to £50 or any other amount until you decline the offer, which is a pain if a competitor comes in with their identical product at £99 and I then lose 3 days worth of sales because you haven't rejected your £50 offer and I can't reduce the price to £98.

I also can't adjust the postal service,  add additional shipping options, make minor changes to the item description, the title, the sub title etc.

And to be clear, when you're sent an offer and you go look at the listing to decide if you want to accept the offer, You wouldn't benefit from any changes to the listing either, such as if I had decided to offer everyone free postage but couldn't edit the listing to reflect that, so you would end up paying postage, then the second you actually accepted or rejected that offer I could then go back and instantly change the postage to free, which I'm sure wouldn't be very good for you either.

Hi @tek*tok! Past posters have provided accurate info about why you can't change listings while there are offers that have been extended to potential buyers. The offer you send is for what the listing currently states, which is what the potential buyer would be agreeing to. It's best to make any edits to a listing prior to sending out offers. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

1) This is not how offer to buyer works on the standard eBay site format

2) You've also lost the ability to allow a seller to end that offer.

Both of these functions are on the standard eBay site format here:

"

How do I cancel an offer?

Visit My eBay > All selling and select More Actions > Review all offers for the relevant listing to cancel an offer. You can only do so if a buyer has not already accepted your offer."

eBay need to resolve this as you currently allow sellers to make an offer to a buyer, but then have absolutely no way whatsoever of managing it. We can't even end the listing early because this damned offer to buyers locks us from being able to do so. You are basically allowing sellers to set up an auction, and then have no ability to manage it until a buyer purchases it or the listing expires.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

There are time's though when you may have forgotten to change or edit something and then realized after the fact. Should a seller have the same time length offer as a buyer? I see that they can give you as little as 24hrs I believe to accept their offer or counteroffer. It shouldn't take a buyer 3 days to make up their mind. It puts us as sellers at a disadvantage their should be considered. We all have bills to pay. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Just a heads up., this stupidity still exists, i need to change the postage rate for a listing for international buyers since usps changed price, but because i sent an offer 2 days ago... i still can't edit the listing, i turned auto offers off now, i guess i will wait 3 days

Message 15 of 18
latest reply