cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when an item arrives with water damage and seller does not accept returns

I ordered a few items from one seller, and they are arriving separately. One of the items was delivered with severe water damage (the paper box, which is part of the collector's item, is effectively shredded). I don't know at what point the package was drenched, as I met the postman at my door to retrieve the item. The item came with USPS Priority (tracked and insured) stickers. The seller of these items does not accept returns, but the listings were marked with the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

From what I've read, I am still unsure whether I should reach out to the seller, or file an "Item not as described" case. If the seller does not accept returns, what typically becomes of the items in these scenarios, and who is held responsible for the damage, seeing as it was damaged in transit and not just left at my doorstep in the rain?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What to do when an item arrives with water damage and seller does not accept returns

File the Return. Your seller might approve it, then you return (at the seller's expense) for a full refund. On the other hand, the seller might not approve it and you'll have to ask eBay to step in on day 4. If the latter happens, you may not even need to return it... just chuck it for a full refund. Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: What to do when an item arrives with water damage and seller does not accept returns

@caleingli-0 

No such thing as "no returns."

Open an item not as described, if in fact you received it damaged. Read up on returns to familiarize yourself with the process.

Things happen. Breath and move forward.

With Kindness,

Grandma 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

File the Return. Your seller might approve it, then you return (at the seller's expense) for a full refund. On the other hand, the seller might not approve it and you'll have to ask eBay to step in on day 4. If the latter happens, you may not even need to return it... just chuck it for a full refund. Good luck.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

File for the refund and be sure to keep the original packaging. If it was sent via Priority it is automatically insured up to a certain amount, and the post office may want to see the damage if the seller files for that insurance. Although in the few damaged items I've received, or received back, the post office never asked

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: