cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller pays for returns and eBay sends a pre-paid return label. Should I use that free label ?

Example:  You buy something on eBay for $452 and the listing indicates seller pays for return shipping (USPS).  So after a few weeks you apply for a return.  Within three days, a return prepaid label is available, and the buyer doesn't pay for return shipping.

1.  Is the buyer required to use this label?

2. What are the consequences if the buyer does not?

3.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of using that provided label?

4.  What happens if you use that eBay return label using the U.S. Post Office and the package gets lost?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Seller pays for returns and eBay sends a pre-paid return label. Should I use that free label ?

@lucubrate wrote:

The Seller cannot be found. eBay disconnected the Seller.  I did not use PayPal.  I called an eBay rep and he clearly stated that the carrier PLUS eBay should make me whole again.  do you agree?  

Why would the VISA credit card be responsible?

@lucubrate 

1) eBay knows how to get your refund.
2) PayPal simply offers another layer of buyer protection. It's eBay first, PayPal second and your CC third.
3) The call-in Rep has no clue. It's on one or  the other... eBay or  USPS.
4) If you used a CC, you generally have up to 180 days (or better) to dispute a charge. I didn't say VISA was responsible.

I'd be remiss not to suggest insist that you read this.  >> eBay Money Back Guarantee policy
It's really hard for a buyer to botch a Return request, but the other avenues above are all you've got left if you did. Good luck.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Re: Seller pays for returns and eBay sends a pre-paid return label. Should I use that free label ?

The seller is always on the hook to refund the buyer.  If there was a pre-paid label and the item was shipped back to the seller,  then the seller is covered if there was insurance on the return shipping. If there was no shipping, the seller must still refund buyer .   At least, the seller will have a nice tax deduction if the item is lost and there is no insurance.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

At least, the seller will have a nice tax deduction if the item is lost and there is no insurance.

@ms.rodriguez* 

I'm still unclear on whether the OP used the seller's prepaid label or purchased his/her own label. Quite perplexing... 🤔

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

The staff at ebay customer service reads from scripts. They will tell you anything to get you off the hook.  ARe you saying that the seller is NO longer on ebay?   Then you need to call ebay, tell them that and they are supposed to refund you.  They will get that money from the seller.     Call Ebay customer service again.

Or you can try to contact Ebay on Facebook. Their staff there is very knowledgeable and speak English fluently.  Email them.  Go this route first.

If you lose on ebay,  (which I doubt),  you open a case in Paypal.   If you lose in paypal, then you go to the credit card company.  This is the last way for you to get a refund. Save this step incase the other two fail.  The credit card companies offer protection in purchases.  That is why you use a credit card (or at least, I do ) to fund a purchase.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Dn't understand you #3 as the seller n longer exists on eBay, but I want my $$$$.

YES, I used the prepaid label from eBay.  I don't have the $452 and I don't have the product.  The package is lost, even though the eBay pre-paid  USPS label had  the seller's address, as it was identical to the package when received originally by me.

It's easy to get through to a live eBay agent on the phone.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

I did not use PayPal.   It was a direct VISA credit card purchase and the seller was terminated/suspended from eBay.  USPS admitted the package is lost.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

4. If USPS loses that package, you'll be made whole with a full refund and USPS makes the seller whole by paying a claim.

@mtgraves7984 

Is there actually insurance on eBay return labels? I thought that if the seller wanted insurance, they would have to send their own label to the buyer. Is that not true?
Disclaimer - I can't use return labels in Canada but I'm sure that I've read that more than once.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

The ebay agent who told you that usps was who had to reimburse you was incorrect so it is best to contact customer service through eBay Facebook by sending a private message.  Basically it is up to ebay to refund you and they in turn will have to recover the money from the seller.  When was the return opened? I wonder if it has been too long and that is why ebay isn't cooperating.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

What happens if the item is lost while it's being returned?

In general, whoever pays for return shipping is responsible for ensuring the item arrives at its destination. If you paid for the return shipping, you'll need to work with the shipping carrier to try and find the item. If the buyer paid, they’ll need to contact the carrier instead.

@pjcdn2005 

Good question. The verbiage above is from the Help & Contact pages. It is just as ambiguous as a lot of the information we find there, but I could  interpret this as that the seller would be covered if the seller bought insurance in the beginning.

Although at face value, all it actually suggests is that the seller "work with the shipping carrier, blah, blah, blah." Huh?

I wonder if the seller has the ability to add insurance to the return shipping label before it's issued? I've never had a Return that was costly enough to insure, but I'd like to think I'd have the option to add it. I just dunno... 

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

You hit the nail on the head, mtgraves.  Here's the problem. . . . and the problem is created by eBay's return label. which I did use.  The Priority Mail Label sent to me to use for the return through the USPO/USPS has only $100 of insurance.  Furthermore, the buyer returning the package to the seller CANNOT add/increase insurance to the package.  The insurance is inherent in and an integral part of the label transmitted by eBay.

This is plain wrong.  If/when eBay creates the return label and encourages the buyer to use the label, then one of two things should be done:

1.  eBay adjusts the label to conform to the value of the product being returned, or, in the alternative,

2.  the buyer returning the package can pay eBay an extra amount if the buyer wants the proper amount of insurance.

There should be a warning attached to future return labels to eBay members about this or any insurance limitation.  This way the consumer can make an informed decision to accept the risk/limitation of the free label from eBay or decide to pay for the cost of return shipping with the proper insurance amount.

Three eBay reps over the phone promised me a complete refund because eBay disconnected the seller while insisting repeatedly I contact the seller, but then the next rep said that it was wrong that I was promised a refund.  Just like several of you stated, one gets a form e-mail response which does not address all the issues or sometimes the response is completely irrelevant.  The phone calls are massive time-wasters because one cannot rely on what the reps state.  I've wasted over 10 hours on this purchase.

RE: credit card idea:  The credit card company will cover theft or damage within 120 days of purchase.  There is no provision for a lost package benefit.  

Does PayPal have a lost benefit to completely cover the value of an item lost in shipping?

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@lucubrate wrote:

The package was received at the Seller's pre-printed address, alleged to have sent the package back to me, but the package have been lost for over a month. 

If the seller did not voluntarily refund within 2 business days after tracking showed that the eBay-issued label had been delivered back to the seller @lucubrate you could have asked eBay to force the refund. It was irrelevant where the label went after that. But you waited too long, so your cleavage with eBay has expired.

@lucubrate wrote:

It was a direct VISA credit card purchase and the seller was terminated/suspended from eBay. USPS admitted the package is lost.

Now @lucubrate call your credit card issuer, give them the tracking number showing delivered, and force your refund. Your obligation was to return for a refund, the timeline stops when tracking shows that you did, and what happens to the return after it was delivered has nothing to do with your refund.

*portmanteau of coverage and leverage.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Wish it were that easy.  When the package arrived back to seller, the seller was already "disconnected" from eBay and also was using one of those places such as a UPS Store or Mailboxes, etc.  So the return was deemed "insufficient address" and to be returned to me.  It was NOT an insufficient address because it was a preprinted label and the address matched the return address when I originally received the new item.  There was no tracking activity after the USPO indicated it would be returned to me, hence "lost".

Pray tell, why would my CC company be responsible for paying me?  eBay should give me a refund for sending such exhausting irrelevant emails.  There is another major website (no name mentioned) which has supreme customer service, never causes a problem, and all communications are easy and relevant.... a sharp contrast to eBay.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Your credit card company doesn't refund out of their pocket. They get the refund from eBay, who in turn gets it from the seller. 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

But the Seller is no longer with eBay so how would eBay get money from the Seller?  

The last email received from eBay stated:  "After careful review, I just wanted to be transparent with you, the reason why you are not refunded is because there is no proof of delivery to the seller."

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

But the Seller is no longer with eBay so how would eBay get money from the Seller? 

@lucubrate 

I'm with @fab_finds4u... eBay still has the seller's Payout info, so you don't need 'the seller', proper. Right, all?? 🤔

Message 30 of 37
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: