cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns on a local pickup item

I've read through eBay's return policies, and just couldn't find any information on returns for items that were sold for local pickup only.  I am well aware that buyers can open a return request for any reason.  What I can't find is how returns are handled on items that were sold with local pick up only.  Meaning that there wasn't any shipping expense involved.  So does the buyer have to bring the item back to the seller? 

For example, I'm selling a overlock sewing machine that weighs 26 pounds with local pick up only.  Thus, the reason I won't ship it as it's just too heavy for me to box it up and lug it to a shipping carrier.  Will eBay require the seller to issue a return shipping label?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

From what a blue said in here a couple years ago was that those cases are decided on a case to case basis. I can only remember one complaint in here from a seller who had to provide a return label for a local pick up item. The blue did respond that since the buyer is able to test the item on pick up those instances are rare. Ive sold several pricey local pick ups..so far, never a problem with a return..and a couple of those buyers paid with PP, despite my request for cash..but there was no problem.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I haven't had any problems thus far selling large items with local pickup.   However, I don't normally sell items that are mechanical or electrical in nature since I usually only sell those locally to avoid fraud. I can demonstrate that the item is functioning before they pay.

I haven't seen any option on listings to request cash upon pickup.  How does eBay collect the taxes if the buyer pays cash.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The taxes are collected on the check out page.You can contact the buyer once he has paid, and request cash on pick up, its allowed.I can understand your hesitation with an electrical item tho,but Im sure you've tested it already. Im sure the transaction would be fine.Good luck.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Sorry, regarding a cash payment,the buyer will get the total price including tax when he checks out(if Ebay charges it), thats what he will pay you. You should see that tax in your fvf on your account, and if it was a cash deal, you will pay that tax.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: