cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received return request but item still in transit

Hi - received a return request today for an order shipped 3/14 that is still in transit.  Ebay automatically approved it and is requesting that I provide the return shipping label for the buyer.  The buyer stated "ordered by mistake" on the return request, but also included a message stating he ordered a book but got a CD version of it instead.  Again, tracking shows it has not yet been delivered.  I have messaged the buyer, but have had no response.  Book was shipped - 2 pound box.

Would you suggest I ignore it for now or go ahead now and authorize the return shipping label?  Or wait until the last possible day to authorize the return label, or what?  (I offer free shipping and free returns on my listings.)

If the buyer uses a return label provided and I receive the wrong item back, I can refund 50% rather than a full refund and report the buyer, but will that result in a defect or possible negative feedback that eBay would not be willing to remove?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If the buyer returns to you the wrong item - why would you refund 50%?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

To avoid a seller defect on my account.  Ebay will just step in and refund him the full amount and take it out of my account anyway unless I issue the refund myself.  I can report the buyer, saying he returned the wrong item, but as far as I understand it, I still need to issue the refund anyway - or at least a partial one.  Maybe my understanding is incorrect.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

A couple of thoughts...

I'm one who thinks that if an item sells once, it will again. So, if you get your book back... I think it'll sell again. With that being said, you do have the option to only issue half-refund, if a CD version is returned to you. I've used that seller protection before without problems.

Since you offer Free Returns, you really have no option to hold back the shipping label (unless you just want to refund), but I don't see a problem in holding off ... maybe your buyer will see that they've erred and close the case.

Hang for another poster's thoughts and good luck, however you proceed.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@myhomeschooldelights Ignore that comment, someone who doesn't understand how this platform works for returns. You are correct in everything you've posted about how this can turn out. If I were in this situation I would go ahead and accept the return and issue the label. You will only be charged for that label if the buyer uses it. Book gets delivered, buyer turns around and ships it back. You are out the fees and label twice but you realized that risk when you accepted free returns. It happens. 

If buyer leaves you a negative, and chances are they won't as they aren't out anything here, it would not be removed unless it violated policy. Like if the buyer mentions the return and refund. However that is unlikely in your case as buyer has acknowledged from the start they ordered in error. It was a remorse return but they obviously know how to work the system to get a full refund out of you, let them. 

You have a good attitude about this, good on you. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@lamber9347 

Thank you for your reply so much.  I appreciate it.  What is your advice on how to proceed should I not receive back the item I actually sent?    (i.e., in the return request the buyer commented that he got a CD but wanted a book - he did this before he even got the package. from me, so must have received a CD from a different seller/order.)  Either he is totally confused about which of his orders to ask for a return on, or he is dishonest, OR he will use the label to return a CD that I did not send him and still expect a full refund.    (btw the package I shipped arrived today - containing his book - the day after he filed for the return.)  He has been unresponsive to my messages.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@myhomeschooldelights Here's how I would handle this: Wait and see buyer's next move. Either he keeps the book, or he sends it back. If buyer sends a different item, I will follow policy on here and issue a refund for 50% only. Let him argue it back. I always follow policy on here and it always works in my favor by doing so. 

I'm also thinking, like you, that buyer is possibly mistaking your transaction for a different one. May be why he hasn't replied to you. Since he hadn't received your book when he filed the return. People are all in a rush these days and go into panic mode quickly. I suggest you stop messaging the buyer at this point. Just wait it out and see what his next move is. If he was mistaken, he may just take the book and you'll never hear back from him. Remain positive that all will work out as it should.... 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank so much, @lamber9347 

I will follow your advice.  I appreciate the time you've taken to walk me through this.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: