cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP. I WAS RIPPED OFF $ 2609.95 BY A SELLER, EBAY AND PAYPAL WITHOUT EXPLANATION.

Dear community,

Very recently, I asked for your advice about a gold coin that I bought from a seller located in Alaska.

The Coin was not made of pure gold according to my jeweler and I opened a dispute on ebay.  eBay sided with the seller and didn't authorize the return of the item for a refund. eBay didn't give any explanation.

One of the members of this community suggested to me that I make my claim to Paypal, which I did.

After submitting the facts, Paypal ruled that I returned the item to the seller so I can get my refund, which I did. I sent the item to the seller via USPS Express mail, and the seller received the item as it is recorded in the tracking information.

I submitted to Paypal pictures of the item, the postage label, and pictures of the post office clerk when received the item from me at my local post office. I did all by the book. Now after two weeks spent by Paypal reviewing the case, they denied my claim.

In other words, I paid $2609.95 for a gold coin that was not as described, and eBay ruled that I didn't return the coin without giving me an explanation.  By following this community advice  I submitted my dispute with Paypal who ruled that I returned the Item to get my refund, which I did. The seller received the item and everything was done according to the Paypal ruling. Now Paypal says that it is not going to refund my money, even though I have a very clean record with them, eBay, and my bank.

I AM DESPERATE BECAUSE I'M BEING RIPPED OFF OF MY RETIREMENT MONEY. WHAT SHOULD I DO. PLEASE HELP. I AM A 68 YEARS OLD RETIRED, UNEMPLOYED, AND THIS BIG COMPANY AND AN EBAY SELLER ARE RIPPING ME OFF.

Sincerely,

Vic

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: PLEASE HELP. I WAS RIPPED OFF $ 2609.95 BY A SELLER, EBAY AND PAYPAL WITHOUT EXPLANATION.

If you paid by credit card thru Paypal, you will have one more opportunity to contest this by filing a chargeback thru your credit card issuer.  Talk to your bank and see what they say. For $2900, I might even be walking into the bank to have a sit down conversation with an associate before filing the chargeback.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: PLEASE HELP. I WAS RIPPED OFF $ 2609.95 BY A SELLER, EBAY AND PAYPAL WITHOUT EXPLANATION.

@bioethical 

Did you send the package back with tracking? Does the tracking show that the seller received it? I know that with Royal Mail, tracking can be expensive, but that is the only acceptable proof that the seller received the item. eBay, PayPal, and (usually) credit cards all require that you have proof that the item has been returned.

If you have tracking with a delivery scan, then please let us know the dates when you purchased the item, opened the case, sent it back, and it was delivered to the seller. Also dates for the PayPal case you opened. We need to know the details to be able to give you the best advice.

More information:

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Hi @bioethical ,

First let me say that ANYTIME a Buyer or Seller is scammed nobody here is happy about that.  Now please don't take offense to this next question, its just to clarify something that to me doesn't make sense.

You mentioned you are being ripped off of your retirement money when you spent $ 2,609.95 on a gold coin.  If that coin had been the real thing what would you have done with it?  It still cost you $ 2,609.95 but you can't buy groceries or anything else with it because they only take the face value of the currency tendered at the cash register, not what someone paid for it .... if I am missing something please advise ...

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Tracking needs to have a signature, tracking alone would not suffice for that dollar amount.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@asset_liquidators wrote:

Tracking needs to have a signature, tracking alone would not suffice for that dollar amount.

Quite true. Unfortunately I suspect that there is no tracking at all, let alone signature confirmation.

If I have identified the right item, it was purchased 17 Apr 2022, and OP left very positive feedback for it. The seller has listed a number of very similar items, with coins of various dates, but uses the same pictures for all of them. Presumably OP got the correct date coin or would not have left positive feedback.

I suspect that the eBay case may have been too late for eBay MBG, based on the dates of OP's previous threads about this.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Was there a dispute originally filed through ebay for NAD (not as described)? Or did you simply ask the seller for a return for refund? 

How did ebay's denial of the claim happen? Buyers NEVER lose NAD disputes. 

So after you went to PP and returned, did you have s.c. with online viewable signature confirmation? And based on what you said, there's tracking showing the return to the seller? 

How soon after the delivery to the seller did PP find against you? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@bioethical 

You lost the Ebay case because you let the seller string you along long enough and your MBG protection expired.

According to your other post, you damaged the item when you removed the coin from what it was attached to. That might be why Pay Pal denied the refund, you damaged the item and didn't return it in the same condition as you received it.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

The item was listed as a Centenario Pure Gold coin in the Bullion section of eBay. The pictures showed the coin separated from the accessory and arrived attached with glue, which is clearly a scam. I didn't damage the coin at all and it clearly shows silver spots that was covered by the glue.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I started the claim with the seller on due time. She promised to replace the coin and pretended that was traveling for vacation and was coming back in a month as it is registered in eBay messages. When she was back from "vacation" started to stall the situation and backed off of her promise. She manipulated the system to complete her scam.. However, I was still on time to start a dispute with PayPal and PayPal ruled that I returned the coin and accessories, which I did immediately and the tracking is proof that the coin was received by the seller.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

The item was listed as a Centenario Pure Gold coin in the Bullion section of eBay. The pictures showed the coin separated from the accessory and arrived attached with glue, which is clearly a scam. I didn't damage the coin at all and it clearly shows silver spots that was covered by the glue. I started the claim with the seller on due time. She promised to replace the coin and pretended that was traveling for vacation and was coming back in a month as it is registered in eBay messages. When she was back from "vacation" started to stall the situation and backed off of her promise. She manipulated the system to complete her scam.. However, I was still on time to start a dispute with PayPal and PayPal ruled that I returned the coin and accessories, which I did immediately by USPS Express Mail with signature, and the tracking information is proof that the coin was received by the seller.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

The item was listed as a Pure Gold coin in the Bullion section of eBay. The pictures showed the coin separated from the accessory and arrived attached with glue, which is clearly a scam. I didn't damage the coin at all and it clearly shows silver spots that was covered by the glue. I started the claim with the seller on due time. She promised to replace the coin and pretended that was traveling for vacation and was coming back in a month as it is registered in eBay messages. When she was back from "vacation" started to stall the situation and backed off of her promise. She manipulated the system to complete her scam.. However, I was still on time to start a dispute with PayPal and PayPal ruled that I returned the coin and accessories, which I did immediately by USPS Express Mail with signature, and the tracking information is proof that the coin was received by the seller.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

The item was listed as a  Pure Gold coin in the Bullion section of eBay. The pictures showed the coin separated from the accessory and arrived attached with glue, which is clearly a scam. I didn't damage the coin at all and it clearly shows silver spots that was covered by the glue. I started the claim with the seller on due time. She promised to replace the coin and pretended that was traveling for vacation and was coming back in a month as it is registered in eBay messages. When she was back from "vacation" started to stall the situation and backed off of her promise. She manipulated the system to complete her scam.. However, I was still on time to start a dispute with PayPal and PayPal ruled that I returned the coin and accessories, which I did immediately by USPS Express Mail with signature, and the tracking information is proof that the coin was received by the seller.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

You did have tracking information I believe from what I am reading so that is good. You can do a credit card or debit card chargeback with your  banking institution....have 60 days...might be able to do a dispute online with the banking institution since today is Sunday. Because of the large sum of money might have to talk to the banking institution on the phone after making a dispute online. People are making a lot of disputes with the airlines these days so might be able to do it just by doing it online. Might take a few weeks to solve this.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@bioethical wrote:

... However, I was still on time to start a dispute with PayPal and PayPal ruled that I returned the coin and accessories, which I did immediately by USPS Express Mail with signature, and the tracking information is proof that the coin was received by the seller.

Why was the PayPal request denied? If you had delivery and signature confirmation that it was delivered back to the seller, that should have been an automatic win for you. What reason did PayPal give for denying?

Just trying to understand what happened, and why this didn't work for you so far.

If I found the right item, the seller reused the same pictures to sell several similar items. I believe that the listing you bought was for a 1950 coin, but the pictures showed a 1947 coin. So that would explain why the pictures didn't match what you received. That should have been an automatic win for you in an eBay not as described case, because the pictures and description contradicted each other. It's never a good idea to ask for (or accept) a replacement. It's better to return for refund, and then purchase another one.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: