cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don’t accept returns but buyer requests return

I sold a vintage Coach Murphy dark brown in damaged condition on eBay. It sold on March 20,2023 and on April 3,2023 now my buyer is requesting that I allow them to return the item when it’s in my description and policy that I don’t accept returns. In the description I said that there’s damage to the leather would this also fit to the strap being cut shorter? eBay told me to wait for the time frame until they step in and to help resolve this issue with the buyer. The buyer wants to send the bag back and get a refund and right now I don’t accept returns on any items that I sell. What should I do?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If the buyer has filed a claim tha the item is "not as described" then your return policy doesn't apply. If you don't respond, and let eBay "step in."  then eBay will probably decide in the buyer's favor and you will be stuck with not only the return postage and a full refund, but also a defect point on your account. I recommend that you accept this return.

Here's a link to eBay's buyer protection  policy, which they call the "Money Back Guarantee":

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

So sorry to tell you but according to eBay Money Back Guarantee you DO accept returns.  eBay policy over rules your policy. 

Stating no returns in your listing means you do not want the item back and will issue a refund to the buyer if they open a return case against you.

Always a good idea to accept the return, eBay will issue them a return shipping label at your expense and then you refund the buyer AFTER you receive the item back. 

Accepting returns and refunding buyers is part of selling online. 

Best wishes!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes your "no returns" policy) which allows customer to return item by claim "not as described, defective, counterfeit" (you will be forced to refund purchase price + shipping BOTH ways).   If you refuse to accept return...EBAY will do it automatically and allow customer to keep your item.  Plus you will be a defect on your account for not following the rules.

Never ask EBAY to "step in" it will not work well for you (they always rule in favor of customer).  And you will get a defect on your account for losing dispute.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Accept the return, send them a label so that you can get your item back to resell.  

No returns does not mean no refunds.  Might be a good idea to read up on Ebay's Money Back Guarantee:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

If you deny the return, you could lose the money and the purse as well. 

Accept the return.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

You don't have to  accept returns.

You do have to give refunds.

You can refund without demanding the return. The buyer keeps both purse and payment.

You can send return shipping and refund on return. You have the purse to resell.

You can do nothing and eBay will refund the buyer, the buyer will have both the refund and the purse, eBay will come after you for their money and you will get a Defect for not cooperating in the Claim.

Get the purse back in saleable shape, which means being polite to the buyer, relist and resell it.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

No returns means there's no need for the buyer to return the item. A refund is on its way,  pronto. Have a nice day. Thank you for the returned item (hopefully).

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

You do accept returns IF you want your item back before refunding in any Item Not As Described case. You are refunding, regardless. 

Posting ID
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Sometimes a buyer might think you won't refund them because of those words..."no returns". Thus you do nothing eBay refunds them and they will get to keep the bag. Wouldn't you like to see a buyer try to repack something they bought from you...They need that big tape which is not free at the post office. Maybe they no longer have the box and need a new one. And the buyer has to go out and mail it. Once in a blue moon, a buyer will close the case and move on because of the hassle and really want the item.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

"No returns means there's no need for the buyer to return the item."

A no return policy actually means the seller does not have to accept remorse returns as in" it doesnt fit", "I dont like it", "found something cheaper," etc. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@lavo.peter 

You need to accept the return. 

Although your description refers to "damage to the leather as shown" and the enlarged picture of the corners shows color loss, you have a much more serious problem that makes the bag NOT usable as it's designed to be. 

The Murphy bag's strap is supposed to have a 24" drop making it suitable for crossbody use. But not only does the description not disclose that the strap was cut but the pictures don't show the cut end either. It's only after careful looking at the bag that I see that there's no way it's long enough to wear crossbody. 

If and when you get the bag back, relist it with a very specific description stating that the strap has been cut, include the drop length in the item specifics and also in the item specifics, in "modified item" disclose the cut strap. 

Take clear pictures showing the cut end so buyers can tell whether it was done professionally or if a novice just took a scissors to it. 

I also recommend showing pictures of the interior so buyers can see any stains, discoloration, pen marks, etc. 

While it's okay to have a no return policy, you really need to have a great description and clear and definitive pictures. Disclose EVERYTHING!! Better to have your buyer receive a better-than-described item than to be disappointed by undisclosed problems, as was this buyer.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@lavo.peter wrote:

In the description I said that there’s damage to the leather would this also fit to the strap being cut shorter? 

Hi @lavo.peter 

No, it wouldn't ... since you didn't mention the shortened strap in the description.  You called it a 'crossbody bag' in THREE places.

[This is not to say that you would be 'home free' if the listing mentioned the shortened strap, since eBay almost always finds a way to side with buyers.]

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@lavo.peter wrote:

I don’t accept returns on any items that I sell. What should I do?

First thing you should do is read up on the MBG.

Because I spit coffee on my computer when I saw : " I don’t accept returns on any items that I sell"

I needed that laugh thank you.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

“In the description I said that there’s damage to the leather would this also fit to the strap being cut shorter?”

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-eBay-psycho-buyer-sent-me-a-letter-I-have-to-sign-for/td-p/...

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Did you notice that the original message is from April 4, 2023?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: