cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I got scammed by a 100% rating seller and eBay Money Back Guarantee didn't work

If you are a buyer that trusts eBay Money Back Guarantee then you should be careful. eBay advertises their eBay Money Back Guarantee program on every sales page, which gives buyer confidence when buying stuff. The program itself is good, but here's a flaw that some scam sellers may use to take your money. 

I'm an action figure collector, and I have made this 300 dollars purchase from this seller named "cosmile_time" in Feb that is a 99.4% good rating seller, so I bought with confidence for sure. During the first two weeks after purchased me and the seller had stay in contact. The seller gives you reasons like "item in production" or "moving to another warehouse" as a reason to gain your trust which many buyers may fall into this trap. The fact is that eBay Money Back Guarantee only covers within 30 days of purchased, which means after 30 days the fund will be released to the seller, and eBay will split the money too (13% each sale). I didn't contact the seller for like 2 months because I believed that the seller will ship my item, and I didn't know that eBay Money Back Guarantee only covers within 30 days. Which then became a pain in the ass when I need my refund. I contacted eBay, they can not do a single thing. And basically eBay is out of this case. The seller also became unresponsive after 30 days within purchased. I believe eBay can definitely refund me the money but since it is a policy they have, so they can not violate it. The only possible way of getting my money back is by contacting the bank to dispute the transaction, but that would take a significant amount of time, so that is my very last option.

Please fill me in with any idea of how I can get my money back ASAP. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How I got scammed by a 100% rating seller and eBay Money Back Guarantee didn't work

If you paid through Pay Pal, they give you 180 days to open a case or contact your credit card.

Sorry, that's you're only options.

There's no flaw in the MBG, if it's used correct.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: How I got scammed by a 100% rating seller and eBay Money Back Guarantee didn't work

Contacting the financial institution isn't that hard, and doesn't take too long.

You are incorrect on a few things.

The timer for 30 day starts from either uploading tracking that shows delivered, or last day of the estimated delivery date.

Your mistake is not reading the policies and understanding the coverage.

Seller sounds like a scammer, but you would have been protected by eBay if you took the time to understand what your protection actually was.

Now you can only go to either PayPal if you used them, or your financial institution.

GL

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

MBG gives you 30 days to file and item not received case from the last esimated date of delivery. So since you just waited around for the item to show up the window of opportunity closed for MBG. No flaw you let  the seller string you along past the 30 days to open an INR.

If you paid through Paypal you have 180 days to file a chargeback. Many credit cards have the same. 

Good luck.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The eBay Money Back Guarantee did not work for you because you did not use it in a timely fashion.

It's there to protect buyers and does a good job of that, but the catch is that the buyer has to know how to use it and to do so in a timely fashion.  Sorry this happened to you, but it was not a flaw in the MBG.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You allowed this seller to string you along, thats on you, not Ebay.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Checking this particular seller’s neutral and negative feedback from buyers shows a pattern of late delivery times or no delivery at all. Another reason to be on your toes when tracking your order within the 30 day mbg window.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Actually, going online and filing a debit or credit card dispute with your bank only takes a few minutes.

Refund usually takes 2 weeks. 

Going in person to the bank or calling on the phone will take a lot of time. Doing it this way they ask so many questions...but when it is done online the bank does not ask all these questions.

And it is a courtesy that the bank allows one dispute in a monthly cycle. So, if you had any disputes with Uber, Doordash, Amazon, etc. in the same monthly cycle than that is why it may take a significant amount of time.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Did you pay with paypal?  You have 180 days protection from them. Open up a case there. Your last bite of the apple is if you lose the paypal case, call your credit card company and do a chargeback.  You can ONLY open 1 case at a time.  So decide which one to persue, paypal or credit card. Remember, the clock is ticking since this is a Feb. purchase. You have 180 days of buyer protection.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@rainaremytears wrote:

The program itself is good, but here's a flaw that some scam sellers may use to take your money. 

The flaw in the MBG 99.9% of the time is the buyer not following procedure. (outside of ebay refusing to honor the MBG for sellers)

You let the seller rip you off.

There is nothing on ebay you can do once the MBG runs out.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

>>  The only possible way of getting my money back is by contacting the bank to dispute the transaction, but that would take a significant amount of time, so that is my very last option.  <<

Hi @rainaremytears 

Where did you get that idea?  It just takes a phone call to get your money put back into your account immediately.  [The refund is conditional on your information checking out ... but I'm assuming you will be accurate in telling your story.]

Did you not bother to read eBay's Money Back Guarantee?  30 days to file a dispute is typical of the selling venues I'm familiar with.  But anyway ... phone your CC company and get it over with!  🙂

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: