cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay return allowing a scam

Buyer buys the item admits did not install correctly and jerry rigged it breaking part yet ask for a refund and ebay generously gives him our money back. 

Yet ebay has no way to contact them or challenge this decision-Hey thanks for giving 500.00 of our money away to this scum bag.

Ebay has zero protection for sellers.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Ebay return allowing a scam

Yes that is a risk of selling here. Buyers win almost every such case.  You have add some to all your prices to cover such losses and rethink selling high value items. Never sell an item you can't afford to lose.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

This goes for most any other selling venue, even private websites. All a buyer has to do is go to their credit card company and file a charge back...they can state 'it arrived broken and seller won't refund' or something to that effect. 

Selling on line ANYWHERE has some inherit risks. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@funrus wrote:

Yet ebay has no way to contact them or challenge this decision-Hey thanks for giving 500.00 of our money away to this scum bag.

Case ID :
Return ID :

Unfortunately @funrus, this is your fault.

Instead of putting on your big-boy pants and solving this yourself, you had eBay make the decision for you. And now that eBay made the decision, you want to challenge that decision.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

What a foolish and ignorant thing to say.  You don't have a clue!  We sent some 40 replies to them to try and find out the complaint and found it was just a foolish as your comment!   A 2.00 light was not working and we offered to send it for free; and then found out they did not even install the order but was trying to jerry rig it and no doubt blue the light out.  Item was under full warranty but ignorance is not covered under such! 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Looked at your listings and found you not only have none but zero feedback.  HA your the expert 🙂  

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I used to have a retail antique store and in that store I had to deal with:

• Grab and go (a person would run in, grab an item and run out the door)
  • Clever shoplifters
  • Fraudulent use of someone else's card
  • Chargebacks for reasons unknown

Shrinkage on eBay is pretty low. There will be some situations where sellers won't come out ahead. It does happen. Sad you were victimized.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I just had a buyer picking up one of my old video game controllers, and from the illustrative photo the idiot thought he was buying 4 at once for the price of one, so initiated a return, where i made clear records of what happened and called ebay in (on him, i thought), just to result in a full refund for the stupid idiot. AND my item staying with him.

Customer support is completely useless, when you appeal they can only repeat that i should have funded the return of the perfectly good item, i didn't so my money and item is totally legally with that jackass. No matter how hard i bomb them with constant appeals and reports they just keep telling me that they get my frustration but nothing can be done.

I'm so leaving this **bleep**show once and for all, and my case isn't even about hundreds of dollars. A buyer just initiates a return case, and from then on YOU either pay for return shipping, or EVERYTHING is the buyer's, NO PLACE FOR ARGUMENT, completely preposterous.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

A lot of people use a different ID on the message boards than their seller ID, so that would be a reason for no feedback. 

If the buyer admitted to installing and modifying the item via eBay messages, I'm not sure why you cannot file an appeal with that information. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Do you know how to file an appeal as i have not found that option nowhere.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Yes that is a risk of selling here. 

...but it didn't used to be and doesn't have to be now.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Go to the case in the resolution center and see if there is a button to appeal the decision. 

here is a copy/paste from seller protection faqs

How do I appeal a case?

If a case is closed in the buyer’s favor, you can appeal the decision by providing the appropriate documentation—including any new information or communication between you and the buyer—to the  eBay Resolution Center within 30 days from the day the case is closed. If the decision is reversed, your final value fee will be refunded. Additionally, any defects for the transaction will be automatically removed.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Don't think you can. 

Should accept return no matter what and then deal with it depending on the situation. 

Doubt that there is anything you can do now.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Hmm then i should be buying from you!  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

"A 2.00 light was not working and we offered to send it for free; and then found out they did not even install the order but was trying to jerry rig it and no doubt blue the light out.  Item was under full warranty but ignorance is not covered under such!"

@funrus.

First... sorry that this is happening to you. Returns are so frustrating... and then there's the refund part. Grrrr...

^^^ Your own words make me think that you need to revisit your Returns policy. If you offered Free Returns, you would be out the $25 return shipping... but, you'd be able to reduce the amount of the buyer's refund by up to 50%  (if the item comes back to you in a destructed/de-valued condition) and you would have your item back to repair and resell.

I don't often recommend Free Returns to a seller. I saw your numbers and was hoping you were TRS... I don't see that you are, though, dang it. As TRS, that seller protection is available to me using my 30-Day (buyer pays) Return policy. Since you're not TRS, it might be a consideration moving forward. Enough about 'then'...

'Now'... I'd not be done with this one just yet. I'm with @supercharger-parts, in that I'd try an Appeal with your evidence. This Return is behind you now... you can't undo it. Be proactive in the limited steps you can take. Keep a cool head, present your evidence, be humble. And be ready to escalate it. The only time I've had to reach out to C/S during the past year was quick and easy. I messaged through facebook. Good C/S Reps (three of them, after escalation) emailed me and quickly handled my issue to my satisfaction.

Hope for the best, expect the worst... blah, blah, blah. Godspeed.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: