cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay does Not Honor their Extortion Policy!

I sold a New Blu-Ray and after receiving it the buyer stated that it had got smashed and "severely damaged" in shipping. They sent a photo which I only could see the typical scuffs from handling etc.. that were included in the photos in the listing.  Their message also stated that they wanted a "full refund+ All shipping costs and if I did the return without shipping costs they would dispute the payment and give me Negative feedback. I do not offer free returns and didn't know how to proceed. I did some research and learned about the Ebay's Extortion Policy.

The buyer went through ebay to do the return and sent me another message stating "this was my last Warning" they wanted all shipping or NF. This kinda made me freeze up but I felt Ebay would understand once they realized their extortion policy was clearly violated.

The next day I had a message from ebay stating they refunded the buyer. So now the buyer has my item, their $30 back, and still left me Negative Feedback.

I reported the buyer for violating the extortion policy. I contacted ebay also and I appealed the return and filed a request to remove negative feedback. Ebay states they take violations of their Ex policy very serious and will remove NF etc... They denied my request to remove feedback and ruled for the buyer on my appeal of the return! 

Does anyone have any Productive advice on this issuse. (I don't need people telling me how many negative feedbacks I have or what shipping options I have on my item, so weird) This has left me feeling  jaded towards ebay and selling. Sellers Beware! 

Screenshot_2024-03-24-12-06-07-49_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

*for the individuals repling that this did not violate the extortion policy 

What is the policy?

Buyers aren't allowed to use threats of negative feedback or low detailed seller ratings to try to get something that wasn't part of the original listing.

Buyers aren't allowed to:

• Threaten to use feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands. For example, buyers can't threaten to leave negative feedback unless the seller pays for return shipping, when the seller's return policy in the listing didn't state free returns* 
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

yep, looks like extortion. Many people pull that type of scam it seems. I had a "damaged item claim", lost the money, did not get the item back when I paid for return postage. The buyer put 7 pieces of gravel in a padded envelope, and sent to an address in the same city I live in. Not my address though, eBay closed the case in their favor. The seller (scammer) admitted in messaging the item was not damaged, and admitted the gravel was supposed to go to someone else.

Good luck!

WHACK-A-HACK

It made a difference to that one didn't it?!?!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

How do you ship a screen protector Media Mail and a watch band using ESE?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Just look like a "statement of fact" that they expect a full refund in accordance with eBay MBG policy.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I’d agree with you if the buyer demanded a partial refund.  He didn’t - he just wants to return a damaged item.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Not defending the buyer here, but the 6 negatives and 4 neutrals in the last year aren't helping your cause.

Doesn't seem that the buyer was shaking you down for a lower price... just wanting to return a damaged item, as others here have stated.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Great advise,  so weird! 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

• Threaten to use feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands. For example, buyers can't threaten to leave negative feedback unless the seller pays for return shipping, when the seller's return policy in the listing didn't state free returns* 
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

"I don't need people telling how many negative feedbacks I have"...OK I won't.

However, working for "Star Trek" in the past.....these Trekkies are extremely picky about condition...especially the box..."scratches and indentations all over the front cover".

I suggest working with the buyer(s)...before eBay comes into play.

Although buyer gave you an email about leaving negative feedback which should never be done (I agree with you it was extortion)....we don't know all the emails that when from seller to buyer and back to buyer from seller.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@unchainedinnovations8 wrote:

• Threaten to use feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands. For example, buyers can't threaten to leave negative feedback unless the seller pays for return shipping, when the seller's return policy in the listing didn't state free returns* 

If the buyer started a return with any "not as described" reason, including damage during shipping, then your returns policy does not apply. In any "not as described" return, the seller is required to pay for return shipping, and give a full refund. That is eBay policy, in the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Your buyer said the items were damaged when they received them, so they are not demanding something they are not entitled to. That means this is not extortion.

I'm sorry, but this situation is not covered by the feedback extortion policy. You should have accepted the return and paid for the return shipping. That's how eBay interpreted it. If the buyer had opened a "not as described" case, you would have been required to do so.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

ebay's new feedback removal policy is a joke.

You might as well yell at the moon.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Funny that you found the information on feedback extortion  yet did not take the time to read and understand a seller's responsibility when buyers received damaged items.

The money-back guarantee will require the selelr to pay for return shipping and refund the buyer in full.

No feedback extortion occurred.

When you failed to send the a label, ebay stepped in and refunded them on your behalf. That is not good for your account.

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Hi @unchainedinnovations8 

According to eBay’s Money Back Guarantee … that was shown in the original listing (next to your ‘no return’ policy) … the buyer is entitled to receive a refund that includes ALL shipping costs.

eBay’s Feedback Extortion policy does NOT apply when a buyer is demanding something they are entitled to receive.  I’m very sorry,  but you have no recourse to dispute what happened.  [Your mistake was not sending buyer a prepaid shipping label as soon as they opened a return request stating the item was damaged.]

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

If you don't follow policy as your buyer I would leave negative feedback too.

I might even warn you that I will do it unless you follow policy.

What your buyer did wasn't extortion. Utilizing feedback to try and get something that isn't covered by the listing is, which they didnt do.

I've dealt with extortion. "You need to give me a steep partial refund for me to be happy with this item or I will leave negative feedback'.

Thankfully eBay has taken care of me for these partial refund seekers.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: