cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Hurting Small Business with INSANE returns process!

I make my items per order. Basivcally vinyl stripe kits for cars and they are made per order and require skill to install. As of a few months ago I no longer am able to charge a restocking fee when someone returnes an item damaged during install or returns the garbage left over. Even worse, as of lately, If I have a buyer returning the garbage left over after the installation, returning a decal destroyed because they couldn't install it or returning a different item altogether (one time a guy said the post office but the wrong item in the box) if you report a problem with the buyer then ebay always sides with the buyer stating they do not have the item themselves to know the condition the item was sold, gives them a refund AND counts against your defect rate.

I went from top rated to bellow standard after complaining about 3 of these returns. So basically, no matter what you have to refund the buyer no matter what they return. You are threatened that if you complain you will get a claim against you.

I don't know what, if anything there is that can be done about this, but it;s destroying me as a small business as I make a fraction of sales from before, paying twice for shipping and losing the items I take time to make.

I think at this point I am slowly moving to amazon (lower fees and I can charge shipping) and I will change my handling time and no returns because I feel less sales with no returns will make up for the top rated status.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ebay Hurting Small Business with INSANE returns process!

@beninidesign wrote:

"I make my items per order. Basivcally vinyl stripe kits for cars and they are made per order and require skill to install. As of a few months ago I no longer am able to charge a restocking fee"

Restocking fee's haven't been a thing for years now.

"Even worse, as of lately, If I have a buyer returning the garbage left over after the installation, returning a decal destroyed because they couldn't install it or returning a different item altogether."

Yes unfortunately made to order items run a greater risk of return, as you are finding out, the customer either doesn't know how/can't install the decals and just send it back or lie to get their money back. 

If you report a problem with the buyer then ebay always sides with the buyer stating they do not have the item themselves to know the condition the item was sold, gives them a refund AND counts against your defect rate."

No, you didn't get defects for reporting the buyer, you received a defect for not refunding your buyer for INAD's as this is BMBG. If your buyer has to ask ebay to step in and take care of the situation and if ebay has to step in and make a decision they will force the return, usually not require the item back, and give you a defect for having to fix it. 

"I think at this point I am slowly moving to amazon (lower fees and I can charge shipping)"

What do you mean? You can charge shipping on ebay too.

"I will change my handling time and no returns because I feel less sales with no returns will make up for the top rated status."

No returns doesn't mean no refunds. If the customer claims item was not as described or misrepresented you will be giving them a refund (pretty sure amazon will also require you to do so as well) plus you can change handling time here too...

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Amazon buyers can just say you sent garbage that don't work and you will still be refunding. Amazon stands behind their customers just like here. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Amazon fees start at 15% FVF. Amazon is not less expensive than eBay unless, as you stated, are below standard. Good luck over there. I get far more returns on Amazon as compared to eBay.

Sounds like you are selling a problematic product.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Ebay returns policies have been patterned on Amazon return policies with most differences being that it takes longer for the buyer to get their refund. As a result, many buyers choose not to buy on Ebay.

Your pricing should reflect the costs of your returns and you should do everything possible to expedite the buyer refunds. Amazon has a wide selection of products which compete with yours, and the likelihood of penetrating that marketplace will depend on how much you are willing to spend on advertising, and whether you use FBA to fulfill your orders.

And you will continue to get returns and refund.

Amazon works best with box in/box out products. Made to order suffers if your time to ship exceeds 2 days,

Much of your success will depend on whether you win the Buy Box, and long shipping delays make prevent your having the Buy Box.

Adding Amazon as a venue is probably a good idea, but it is far harder to sell there than it is to sell on Ebay.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the detailed reply. 
so for the defect rate. I have 3 because I had 3 people return items that weren’t my items. I reported the problem instead of refunding them and eBay sided with the buyer stating they cannot determine it was the buyers fault. I had another buyer return something else and refunded them, full amount and reported a problem. Nothing. U even called eBay before doing anything on several ocassions and they’d say to charge a 50% restocking fee yet they removed their re-stocking fee. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@beninidesign 

The buyer will usually always win an INAD and although you can always appeal & report do this AFTER  the return process/refunding the buyer to avoid a defect on your account. 

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@beninidesign wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply. 
so for the defect rate. I have 3 because I had 3 people return items that weren’t my items. I reported the problem instead of refunding them and eBay sided with the buyer stating they cannot determine it was the buyers fault. I had another buyer return something else and refunded them, full amount and reported a problem. Nothing. U even called eBay before doing anything on several ocassions and they’d say to charge a 50% restocking fee yet they removed their re-stocking fee. 

eBay has not allowed a restocking fee for years.

If you accepted returns, as a Top Rated Seller,  you would have the privilege of withholding up to 50% of the refund for items that are returned used or damaged.

Like I said in a previous post above, it looks like you have a problematic product according to feedback left from your buyers. eBay would only allow you to 50% refund so many buyers and then more than likey cut that off. Hard to say where that threshold might be.

Posting ID
Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: