cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned item without opening case-requesting personal check

A buyer bought pants, said they were purple and listed as black. She messaged to ask about returning, and I walked her through the steps. She was unable to figure out how to go through the eBay system, and though I asked her not to, she returned the pants on her own and paid a crazy amount for shipping. I've refunded her the maximum allowed through eBay, but now she's requesting that I send her a personal check to cover the amount she paid to make the return. She maintains that the error is mine (though I maintain that the pants are black) and that it's therefore my responsibility to cover the cost. If she had gone through proper channels this wouldn't be happening I think. Any advise?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer returned item without opening case-requesting personal check

I agree with you up to the point of making up her loss on another sale.  Her inability to use our VERY easy return system is not the seller's problem.   Specially since the OP attempted to give her directions.  There are some things in Ebay that are not user friendly.  Our return system is NOT one of those.

After a full refund, I would continue to be nice & I might even offer her 10% - 20% off coupon on her next purchase (or what ever number is a standard discount for your store).  I however would not refund more.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@camptopisaw-1 wrote:

Any advise?

Yes. This:

Blocked Buyer List 

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Since the buyer didn't return through ebay and didn't file a NAD request, you are not obligated to send her reimbursement for return shipping. 

In fact, that the return was done without going through the system and you were honest enough to issue the refund anyway, the buyer got lucky. (It WAS the right thing and honest thing to do but sellers aren't obligated to issue refunds for returns that don't follow policy.)

ETA: And since your return policy has buyers paying return shipping, he would have had to pay that money anyway. 

I'd ignore the request for a check and BBL the buyer.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I will definitely add her to my blocked buyer list. I'm thinking that if she'd gone through eBay, they would have issued her a return label for the original 8.99 shipping--I'm happy (well, not HAPPY but willing) to refund this to her but can't figure out how to do it without going off the platform. And I'm not sending a check : ) Is there a way to do this? Thanks, y'all!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The only way to do it would be to ask for her e-mail and send her the money with PayPal (or a cash app), unless you want to mail her cash. You're allowed to exchange e-mails since this is post-payment.

You are not obligated to refund this ship cost, and since she's already been refunded in full, she cannot file any kind of claim to force a refund above the original purchase price.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@camptopisaw-1 wrote:

Any advise?

Blocked Buyer List, and stop responding. Her inability to return the items using a label that I assume you sent is not your problem, nor is the "crazy amount for shipping" that she spent instead.

I assume that your refund through eBay does show as a refund of her original purchase, so that she can't file a Not As Described or a chargeback and end up collecting twice.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

She didn't file a not as described claim but immediately put the pants in an envelope and shipped them back. Next to the order it says "Refunded" so I assume that's done. She hasn't left a review yet, so that'll be her last best shot...

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

"I'm thinking that if she'd gone through eBay, they would have issued her a return label for the original 8.99 shipping..."

@camptopisaw-1 

Of course they would have. Maybe your buyer has abused the MBG and couldn't open another claim. Who knows?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Don't Block her. She doesn't know what she's doing. Vilifying her isn't a solution. Send her a coupon and let her know: You will makeup her loss on another purchase because there is no way to refund on eBay.

Don't be that abusive Seller, eBay and its community wants you to be. This Buyer is lost and she seems to be a nice and ethical person. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I agree with you up to the point of making up her loss on another sale.  Her inability to use our VERY easy return system is not the seller's problem.   Specially since the OP attempted to give her directions.  There are some things in Ebay that are not user friendly.  Our return system is NOT one of those.

After a full refund, I would continue to be nice & I might even offer her 10% - 20% off coupon on her next purchase (or what ever number is a standard discount for your store).  I however would not refund more.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

That's the essence of Salesmanship. Sellers have ability to convert a loss, argument or any hostilities to a sale. Unfortunately, eBay doesn't want for this to happen. Many community members follow suit. 

That's very sad! 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for all the amazing advice. This is the first time I've asked a question on this forum, and I'm blown away by not only the helpfulness but especially by the speed at which it was delivered! (I was thinking I'd be waiting hours if not days for a reply.) Your willingness to share knowledge is MUCH appreciated.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I have been in sales a VERY long time.  I frequently turn customer service issues into sales.  Sometimes even long term, repeat buyers.  I however do this without taking additional loss most times.  One mistake people make in sales is assuming that money is always the answer.  GOOD Salesmanship does not require = free/ highly discounted product.  It is conversation, discussion & solutions.  Along with a constant good attitude, even when confronted otherwise.  Kill them with kindness.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I am with you!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: