cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claimed item was defective but it is not.

I do not accept returns, but a buyer claimed that an item was defective and Ebay required that I send them a return shipping label (which I had to pay for) to send it back. The buyer claimed that a DVD did not play on any of their players. I put the DVD into my player and it played fine. What are my options? Do I have to give them a refund? I already paid foe the return shipping. Do I LOSE money on selling an item that was working perfectly fine? I can't find anywhere to ask Ebay for help. This site is not very user friendly.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Buyer claimed item was defective but it is not.

Sorry to say yes you have to refund the cost and the shipping. I have a little more bad news for you too. Since eBay had to step in, and since they sided with the buyer, they are going to charge you $20 to step in. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. At least you got your item back and not a box of rocks. Put the buyer on your blocked bidder list and resell the item again.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

yep you lose the case. You will refund them even if ebay does it for you..

Also report them for return abuse.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

$20 to step in? Why did Ebay have to step in? I got a refund request and I sent them a return shipping label. I did not ask Ebay to step in. I haven't even figured out how to ask Ebay to step in.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@r2unit 

Yes, you must refund. eBay will refund with, or without, your consent. eBay's MBG covers buyers when an item arrives but is not as described (broken, doesn't work, damaged, etc.) or when an item doesn't arrive at all. 

Your no returns policy only covers remorse returns. Situations when a buyer changes their mind. 

People with low morals, know this and exploit the differences in these two processes. There is no way to know for sure that it doesn't actually work in their machine. 

On low priced items, sometimes it's less costly to just refund without having the item returned.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I thought you said you did not accept the return and that eBay required you to. I must have misunderstood. If you accepted the return, then eBay won't charge you the $20.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I have my account set to not accept returns. 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Um, NO!

Only a chargeback gets a $20 penalty.  

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

So, basically, someone can buy a dvd or bluray from me, watch it and return it and I have to give them a refund and pay for the return shipping. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

cabdd205 was wrong wrong wrong.   

You don't get charged for ebay stepping in, that's not how it works. 

You do charged if you lose a credit card chargeback.

You have to refund, it bites, but that's the rule.  

Before we switched everything to digital, we had a couple of DVDs that would only play on one player, the cheapest, non-branded, ugliest beast of a DVD player in existence (it might still be in our garage).  I guess the fancy ones were too fancy for those DVDs to play.  

So the buyer might not have been lying. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@r2unit wrote:

So, basically, someone can buy a dvd or bluray from me, watch it and return it and I have to give them a refund and pay for the return shipping. 

Yes. 
They could also ship back a box of rocks and get a full refund. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@r2unit wrote:

$20 to step in? Why did Ebay have to step in? I got a refund request and I sent them a return shipping label. I did not ask Ebay to step in. I haven't even figured out how to ask Ebay to step in.

User was thinking a payment dispute; an error.

Such payment disputes (charge backs) have the 20 added to the amount...

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@justafemster 

I'm not in the mood to argue. But any dispute that you lose and eBay has to stop in, which yes, includes chargebacks, but any dispute is subject to the $20 fee.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@r2unit wrote:

Yes: if they know how to scam the system.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Care to show me the policy where it states ANY charge for a simple INAD complaint?

Tapping foot, waiting.

You won't find it, because it doesn't exist. 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: